Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Warrnambool (VIC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey that's an idea @meloccom !
Someone would have to tell me how that would work..
If you mean starting a thread, such as Supercharger NSW, VIC, WA etc, anyone can start that thread.
My personal preference is to leave as is as to extract back into separate site threads later would be difficult and result in a disjointed state thread.
If you are talking about a sub forum, I don't have the power and USA admins have said no before..
It will be a bit annoying for there to be a few sticky Supercharger threads for now but it will pass as they open and are unstuck.

The logical spot would seem to be on the Princes Highway(Raglan Parade), at the Homemakers Centre(East Warrnambool), opposite Bunnings, across the road from the Flying Horse Inn & Brewery, & near a 24 hour BP & Macca's. Toilets & Subway nearby.

I agree wpapua! I did send in a request for that area not long after I got my Tesla. I frequent that area a lot when I visit Warrnambool (would be ideal for me anyway). I've never seen the huge parking lot anywhere near half full when I have visited.

I agree wpapua! I did send in a request for that area not long after I got my Tesla. I frequent that area a lot when I visit Warrnambool (would be ideal for me anyway). I've never seen the huge parking lot anywhere near half full when I have visited.
I too have attempted, early in the piece, to get the Centre management & Tesla together. They say 'you can lead a horse to water' - getting him to drink is another thing ! Who knows, Brewster, what's going on behind the scenes ? And the other two local Tesla owners are conspicuous by their silence, just watching on (?) !

Gudday Brewster and co

I am happy to add some voice to the need for an SC in downtown Warrnambool. I am due to do another run down that way to visit customers etc and whilst Portland is a nice spot I begrudge having to drive the extra 90+ Ks both ways to get to the motel to charge overnight. Mind you the motel do a ripper steak dinner.!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Warrnamboolian, just new to this though, only had the MS for a month.

It would be really great to have the new Warrnambool supercharger right in town. There are four large carparks each side of the main street (Liebig St). They are never full and are close to everything worth seeing and doing in Warrnambool.
I would hope there is enough power in one of them for a supercharger.
This location has everything:-
1. Close to 30 cafe's and Restrauants
2. Toilets
3. Beach and other nice walks and bike trails.
4. The western districts best kids playground.
5 Heaps of good places to stay, if you are staying you can check in and walk back to get your car off charge.
6 Library, Theatre, Museums, supermarkets,PO etc
7 Flagstaff hill Maritime village.
8 Cannon Hill.
9. The CBD is currently undergoing a multi million dollar upgrade

I will follow up by checking with Council if they know of the preferred location, hopefully they have already picked a good spot.

Reactions: Hairyman
Hi Everyone,

I'm a Warrnamboolian, just new to this though, only had the MS for a month.

It would be really great to have the new Warrnambool supercharger right in town. There are four large carparks each side of the main street (Liebig St). They are never full and are close to everything worth seeing and doing in Warrnambool.
I would hope there is enough power in one of them for a supercharger.
This location has everything:-
1. Close to 30 cafe's and Restrauants
2. Toilets
3. Beach and other nice walks and bike trails.
4. The western districts best kids playground.
5 Heaps of good places to stay, if you are staying you can check in and walk back to get your car off charge.
6 Library, Theatre, Museums, supermarkets,PO etc
7 Flagstaff hill Maritime village.
8 Cannon Hill.
9. The CBD is currently undergoing a multi million dollar upgrade

I will follow up by checking with Council if they know of the preferred location, hopefully they have already picked a good spot.
Hi MacRocket, Given that Superchargers are for travellers (those passing through, eg, off the Great Ocean Road, or heading for Portland or Mt Gambier), and not for 'locals', just off the highway seems most appropriate - to me. If right in town, they would almost certainly be 'ICE'd' a lot of the time, being used for everyday parking by anyone with an internal combustion engined vehicle ! And not so easy to find, nestled in behind the shops. My two bob's worth !

003.JPG Hi Everyone,

I have spoken to two people at council and the Supercharger is to be installed in the upgraded main street on the
corner of Liebig and Lava Streets. This is very close to the highway and close to everything else, all night food outlets etc.
It appears to be one parallel and one nose in park (two chargers). This is the prime spot in the town, Tesla have done very well, talk about a real estate grab. The big news is that it should be open in a month from now.
I am very relieved it's going where it is as east and west Warrnambool are rough areas and pretty well dead after normal business hours.
I remember charging at the big Banana in Coffs Harbour in the dark at a big shed with nothing open nearby and no toilets that I could see. This is a bit boring I think, so having lots of things to do near a charging station (like in Warrnambool) makes it a bit more interesting for travelers and tourists I think.
See Photos below

View attachment 253442 Hi Everyone,

I have spoken to two people at council and the Supercharger is to be installed in the upgraded main street on the
corner of Liebig and Lava Streets. This is very close to the highway and close to everything else, all night food outlets etc.
It appears to be one parallel and one nose in park (two chargers). This is the prime spot in the town, Tesla have done very well, talk about a real estate grab. The big news is that it should be open in a month from now.
I am very relieved it's going where it is as east and west Warrnambool are rough areas and pretty well dead after normal business hours.
I remember charging at the big Banana in Coffs Harbour in the dark at a big shed with nothing open nearby and no toilets that I could see. This is a bit boring I think, so having lots of things to do near a charging station (like in Warrnambool) makes it a bit more interesting for travelers and tourists I think.
See Photos below
Well done, MacRocket ! Great news, & good work. Will 2 stalls be sufficient ?

That's brilliant! There are a couple of things worth checking though...

First, what @wpapua said about the 2 stalls. They never normally do 2 stall sites (except for sleds). They prefer 2 SC units minimum (4 stalls) in case of a failure with one unit.

Second, how does it tie in with this? Electric car chargers arrive | www.cbd.warrnambool.vic.gov.au
It could be that someone at council is confused about what a "Tesla supercharger" is, and they were actually talking about the destination chargers. But it could be that Tesla saw the council were interested and keen to dedicate the space to it, so they approached them about "upgrading" to SCs. That would certainly explain why a 2018 site is under construction already.

I have re checked with my council contact. It is four (4) stalls. Also I think I was looking at the wrong spot, hence me jumping to the conclusion that it was only 2 stalls. Still talking about Supercharges being located on the corner of Liebig and Lava Sts but they will be located in Lava St, parallel parks where a loading zone used to be. I will post a photo when I get this confirmed.
My source is sure that they are supercharges, I think the old photo was just using the destination charger as a prop for the local media.
When I was in Melbourne recently at the SC a Tesla staff member sought me out (after hearing I was from Warrnambool) to tell me a supercharger was going in at Lorne and Warrnambool soon to enable the great ocean road drive.

I would almost bet that the 2 'stalls' to be installed in Lava Street, will be Destination Chargers, similar to our HPWC's we have in our garages, hopefully with 3 phase 'rapid' charging, the likes of which we have experienced at Mode 3 Carpark, Braddon, ACT, & at the City Centre Motel in Bendigo, Vic. An actual 'Supercharger', with many more stalls than 2, will likely follow later, next year, at a more 'conventional' Tesla location, ie, on a main thoroughfare, like Raglan Parade. We watch & wait.......!

Thanks wpapau and Chuq for sowing some doubt in my mind.
I checked with my council contact again and you are right, she didn't know the difference between destination and superchargers.
She knows the difference now and will check for me what is coming and where.
If they are destination chargers for Lava St, which I now suspect they are, then she will try to find out where the super charger is going.
I must say though the Lava St site has a very good 3 Phase power supply across the road. The whole main street power feeds in at this point

to tell me a supercharger was going in at Lorne and Warrnambool soon to enable the great ocean road drive.

Hmm, interesting. The current map from Tesla shows Torquay and Warnambool as coming soon but nothing in Lorne... I do seem to remember that Lorne was potentially getting SCs though... I'm heading down to Torquay this weekend so will keep my eye peeled.

Reactions: bradjc