Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Warrnambool (VIC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks wpapau and Chuq for sowing some doubt in my mind.
I checked with my council contact again and you are right, she didn't know the difference between destination and superchargers.
She knows the difference now and will check for me what is coming and where.
If they are destination chargers for Lava St, which I now suspect they are, then she will try to find out where the super charger is going.
I must say though the Lava St site has a very good 3 Phase power supply across the road. The whole main street power feeds in at this point
They are not putting destination chargers in.

Hmm, interesting. The current map from Tesla shows Torquay and Warnambool as coming soon but nothing in Lorne... I do seem to remember that Lorne was potentially getting SCs though... I'm heading down to Torquay this weekend so will keep my eye peeled.
The Great Ocean Road supercharger was originally shown as Lorne but with the last update moved to Torquay, but I think it's all a bit up in the air still, given they are retaining the non-specific name.

Interesting.. look at the URL for the Warrnambool SC on the Tesla site:

Warrnambool | Tesla Australia

upload_2017-11-4_0-4-39.png

Interesting.. look at the URL for the Warrnambool SC on the Tesla site:

Warrnambool | Tesla Australia

View attachment 257949[/QUOTE
Chuq, I hope from everyone's point of view, this is merely 'indicative' ! It's in the vicinity of the Centro Shopping Centre on Mortlake Road - no 24 hour anything - shopping, toilets, food ! And certainly not easy to find for travellers 'passing through'.

IMG_0570.jpg
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg
Here is the first of (I think) 4 destination chargers in the main street of Warrnambool. This one is located in a loading zone on the corner of Leibig and Lava Sts.
I plugged in but the power is not turned on yet so not sure how many kW it is but its close to the large transformer for the street. Power being turned on is not too far off I think.
There are other power pillars in loading zones spread up the street where the other chargers could be located. We will know for sure in a week to 10 days when the main street works are due to be finished.
No news yet from my contacts at council re the location of the Warrnambool Superchargers. If I hear anything I will post it.

Here is the second public destination charger on the corner of Lava and Liebig Sts Warrnambool.
It's power is on, 3 phase and charged me at 88km per hourView attachment 262415 View attachment 262416 View attachment 262417
Well done, MacRocket. We tried that same one a few days ago - no power, worker said that they had been waiting for it to be connected for months ! Emailed the WCC that night asking when it was going to be activated. Perhaps my prompting actually worked ?

It's been some time and this location is still listed as Spring 2018 on Tesla's site, despite many other locations being changed to 2019 recently. That's a good sign!

There's nothing in the councils advertised applications or meeting agendas/minutes.

@wpapua - perhaps it is worth driving around looking for evidence of construction? Odds are this will be a 4-stall site.

Tesla appear to have a good relationship with the council (see the destination chargers above) so perhaps check council car parks first?

Chuq, refer to 'Superchargers in Australia', #427. No evidence at Flagstaff Hill yet. Second Destination Charger in Liebig Street, Corner of Lava Street, still not commissioned (after over 6 months - supposed electrical supply issues !). Will advise this forum after Council have advised me that it is 'active'.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Hi, We are heading to Warrnambool over January. Should I assume the council will have both chargers working in time for peak tourist season, or am I being overly optimistic? Any local insights would be great as we are staying at a house, so only have a powerpoint otherwise.

Hi, We are heading to Warrnambool over January. Should I assume the council will have both chargers working in time for peak tourist season, or am I being overly optimistic? Any local insights would be great as we are staying at a house, so only have a powerpoint otherwise.

I’m a Warrnambool local.
Ben Story at Warrnambool City is the Council representative negotiating with Tesla.
The Second Destination Charger is still waiting a meter. First one works well (80km/hour) and is not getting much use. Located on the corner of Leunig and Lava St.
Supercharger location at Flagstaff Hill has been approved by council and agreed with Tesla (4 stalls I think). A bit of power upgrade needed so probably won’t have Superchargers till next year.
I’ll ring him tomorrow and report back.

How odd. This just appeared on Plugshare:

upload_2018-10-26_12-3-12.png

I thought if AC chargers were being installed here, one of the locals would have mentioned it in this thread? Given the timing, just after the SC was confirmed in this thread, it could be an incorrect entry.