Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Washington, DC (Market Street NE)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked this evening - needed an excuse to try out my newest electric vehicle. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. Still no transformer.

IMG_8523.jpg IMG_8522.jpg

Is this sort of electrical delay normal for DC? At this point it seems like this should be embarrassing insofar as the evaluated job performance of someone.
Supercharger completion delays come in all shapes and sizes and last days, months, or years. Delays due to the power company are legion. DC only has one active supercharger so it is impossible to know what "normal" is yet. Wisconsin Avenue was in construction for 128 days. Market Street is currently at 213, which puts it at about 35th longest for North America. Hartford, CT is the current winner/loser at 594 days in construction phase. Only eight locations have taken longer than 300 days with four of those eight still waiting to open. If Market Street gets above 300 days, then it will truly be an outlier but it ain't there yet.

You can explore and filter this data here (caveat data is from crowdsourced supercharge.info and most superchargers visited competition data)

upload_2020-9-27_15-35-23.png

AC26B74C-F12D-451E-97EF-222B5C035AA9.jpeg
NE Washington DC superchargers

I’m back in DC and the chargers in the Dakota Crossing shopping center still are not active. Does anyone know why or when they will be active? I am so close to this one and I don’t like driving 20 minutes to otherwise do my charging.

Reactions: PStewart
View attachment 593482 NE Washington DC superchargers
I’m back in DC and the chargers in the Dakota Crossing shopping center still are not active. Does anyone know why or when they will be active? I am so close to this one and I don’t like driving 20 minutes to otherwise do my charging.

Still waiting on the utility company to come install the transformer and meter. No word on what’s taking them so long.

If it is full with older cars like mine that max out at 65 kW then probably not. If it is full with new ones with warm empty batteries trying to gobble up 250 kW simultaneously, then let's do the math 1500 kVA < 2500 kW
My math involved an average speed of ~150 kW. Of course if a full load of 3s and Ys showed up and plugged in simultaneously, it wouldn’t be able to max everyone out. The transformer wouldn’t be the weak link in that case, anyway; it would be the lack of battery storage and/or solar since the charging equipment can only accept so much AC input.

My math involved an average speed of ~150 kW. Of course if a full load of 3s and Ys showed up and plugged in simultaneously, it wouldn’t be able to max everyone out. The transformer wouldn’t be the weak link in that case, anyway; it would be the lack of battery storage and/or solar since the charging equipment can only accept so much AC input.
Indeed the transformer here is sized to handle the maximum load presented by the three Supercharger rev.C cabinets. There are some V3 Superchargers where the cabinet power is shared among 3 instead of 4 stalls. Various factors affect what configuration Tesla will choose, this one seems like the usual one.

I’m only 5 minutes away from this new supercharger! This is good news hearing about the transformer install (finally)! I can’t wait to see “Market St” show up on the Tesla app!

For a large part of DC and Prince George's county, I imagine this will be the closest Supercharger. I didn't realize it, but I'm out in Largo MD and this one will only be about 6 miles away. Next closest is Riverdale at about 9 miles away.

If it is full with older cars like mine that max out at 65 kW then probably not. If it is full with new ones with warm empty batteries trying to gobble up 250 kW simultaneously, then let's do the math 1500 kVA < 2500 kW

I don't think there will be an issue. I have got to Chantilly with 6 other S's charging already and I was able to pull188KW charge rate. I just don't see a bunch of cars pulling in at the same time. The new networking V3 cabinets certainly seem to be networking very well, and share or move power to who is in the most need. Certainly better than the V2 charge rates I was used to.

As for the Transformer. That is a big unit and might of been back ordered all this time. For Pepco they may not keep this size unit on the shelf, Pad mounts are probably not to popular in the city. They are typically underground units.

I don't think there will be an issue. I have got to Chantilly with 6 other S's charging already and I was able to pull188KW charge rate. I just don't see a bunch of cars pulling in at the same time. The new networking V3 cabinets certainly seem to be networking very well, and share or move power to who is in the most need. Certainly better than the V2 charge rates I was used to.

As for the Transformer. That is a big unit and might of been back ordered all this time. For Pepco they may not keep this size unit on the shelf, Pad mounts are probably not to popular in the city. They are typically underground units.

Anecdotal, but bear with me here.....

We've been attempting to get a standby generator for our place in Maine for the last few months. Apparently, there is a supply chain issue for heavy duty electrical components at the moment. We've been told we can expect that by March (!) we'll be able to get one installed.

Not sure of it's also affecting transformers and parts, but it's a possibility, depending on who Pepco uses to procure their equipment.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl

What would be interesting to know is if there will be a utility curtailment and/or demand response that this Supercharger will follow and if there is anyway of knowing when these events occur.

Reactions: Big Earl

We've been attempting to get a standby generator for our place in Maine for the last few months. Apparently, there is a supply chain issue for heavy duty electrical components at the moment. We've been told we can expect that by March (!) we'll be able to get one installed.

Not sure of it's also affecting transformers and parts, but it's a possibility, depending on who Pepco uses to procure their equipment.

I'm sure it is. Delivery of products for us is getting very difficult. Square D for example, is a MAJOR supplier is really having problems. We are 60 to 90 days behind schedule, due to Covid. It only takes one component such as a processor chip or a simple spring shortage to bring an entire production line to a stop. I'm seeing it with several brands. Back to Square D, back in June you could not find either a 2 pole 20 or 30A NQ plug in breaker anywhere. See if you can find both at Home depot. I could not back in late June. It was bad, 10-20 thousand on back order.
What would be interesting to know is if there will be a utility curtailment and/or demand response that this Supercharger will follow and if there is anyway of knowing when these events occur.

I don't think so once a service goes in the grid has been modified to handle it, if I'm understanding your question. The power company would not shut the site down through load sheading. Now would Tesla dial it down if requested, I don't know. I know Proterra is working with Dominion to provide V2G power from there buses to prevent the brownouts during peak demand. Same as Tesla energy. They want to prevent using Peaker plants as much as anyone.

Has anyone seen anything where Tesla would reduce charging levels during Peak demand? I know it will hit them in the wallet, But I think Tesla has it already factored in there rates. Electrify America certainly is at the rates there charging.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd

Another factor are all the wildfires on the west coast. I imagine those fires are wiping out lots of electrical gear that needs to be rapidly replaced.

Another factor are all the wildfires on the west coast. I imagine those fires are wiping out lots of electrical gear that needs to be rapidly replaced.

the hurricanes down south are also a factor, as well as the pandemic. apparently, being stuck at home has really fired up the home improvement sector of the economy, and almost everything related to that is also in short supply.