Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Waterloo, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

outdoors

🌲🛶⛺️🏔♻︎🙂
Supporting Member
1422 Flammang Dr, Waterloo, IA 50702 Crossroads Hy-Vee.

Spoke to the manager this morning at the Hy-Vee store. Jared. Asked for permission to use name.

He said that power company has come out to measure and contractors have been out to property, but have not broken ground yet. I asked if he was sure it was a Tesla Supercharger. He said yes.

I have family in Cedar Falls that plans on driving by on Monday for a look.

@jayhanke don't know how you found it. Seems somewhat confirmed.

Last edited:
Waterloo, IA

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-20, US-218
Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-380

US-20

To: Dubuque, IA - 90.2 miles
Diversion: 2.4 miles
To: Rockford, IL - 192.1 miles

US-63

To: Rochester, MN (US-218, US-63, l, US-14) - 116.8 miles

US-218

To: End (US-14/I-35 Owatonna, MN) - 141.9 miles
Diversion: 2.4 miles

To: Albert Lea - Happy Trails Lane, MN (US-218, US-18, I-35) - 129.9 miles
To: Altoona, IA (US-20, IA-14, l, IA-14, IA-330, US-65, l) - 100.5 miles
To: La Crosse, WI (US-218, US-63, l, IA-CRV48, IA-24, US-52, l, MN-44, MN-16, US-14/61, I-90) - 142.8 miles

A useful hole-filler, on multiple US Numbered Highways, and in particular on Mapbox-fastest routes to Minneapolis, MN from St Louis, MO and Springfield, IL.

I agree with Mt. Pleasant, IA. You should email Tesla at [email protected] with this suggestion. Provide a brief justification of North/South travel (St. Louis to Minneapolis) and East/West travel (Indianapolis to Des Moines).

The upcoming Hannibal, MO Supercharger is still 148 miles from Iowa City. Mt. Pleasant would make that leg easier in all conditions.

I did this for Hannibal, MO and that project is now in permit status soon to be constructed.

Potential action at the Waterloo Crossroads HyVee. I don’t have any proof it’s for the superchargers, but idk what else they would be doing!

Attachments

• A33EE16D-CF27-4209-BBC4-0D13922EBDDA.jpeg
    A33EE16D-CF27-4209-BBC4-0D13922EBDDA.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 296
Search and Status

Digging notice says it's to build a concrete pad for MidAmerican (the local electricity company), so I wouldn't be surprised if that was for the future supercharger. Since there's no mention of Tesla or EV charging stations, it's not clear if they are going to be doing all the work for the superchargers or just the bit for the utility transformer pad.

Reactions: superflyrolla
Are you sure they're going to be L2 chargers? Waterloo was also supposed to get another L3 charger as part of the network MidAmerican was building out across Iowa. They've typically been installing two which would match what we're seeing in the ground.

EV fast-charging network across Iowa
DC Fast-Charging Network

I’m just quoting one of the guys working. I think you’re right though, that would make more sense. Unfortunately, this is pretty poor planning by Tesla & MidAmerican IMO. The $450 adapter & overpriced electricity stinks, but at least the chargers should spread out to expand EV travel capabilities around Iowa.