Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Waterloo, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MidwestLemur was correct.

Attachments

• 595357BA-7499-492A-A378-6CDA33F5226F.jpeg
    595357BA-7499-492A-A378-6CDA33F5226F.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 5D113748-E149-4BB4-B5F6-E194BFA4E54A.jpeg
    5D113748-E149-4BB4-B5F6-E194BFA4E54A.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 99DD6732-0496-4194-A747-F977C73194E2.jpeg
    99DD6732-0496-4194-A747-F977C73194E2.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 189
Thanks for the pictures, I hadn't actually seen one of their stations yet. Is it two combo CHAdeMO/CCS or just one combo and one CCS?

Third-party L3 chargers are really starting to be a thing for driving around in Iowa. Makes me want to order the CHAdeMO adapter, and wish that Tesla would hurry up and finally bring out a CCS adapter for the US.

Knowing that the average time taken from groundbreaking to charger turn on is ~1 month for a supercharger build, unless this starts before mid to late September, I would wager this supercharger doesn't begin construction till late March/early April of next year due to the ground being frozen/covered by snow. Is there any way we can find out some sort of status for this location? Would HyVee know anything new or would we need to reach out to the city and or Tesla (If such contacts exist)?

Knowing that the average time taken from groundbreaking to charger turn on is ~1 month for a supercharger build, unless this starts before mid to late September, I would wager this supercharger doesn't begin construction till late March/early April of next year due to the ground being frozen/covered by snow. Is there any way we can find out some sort of status for this location? Would HyVee know anything new or would we need to reach out to the city and or Tesla (If such contacts exist)?
You'd need to get it directly from Tesla, who won't tell you anything.

I definitely dispute that one month figure. I'd say the average is quite a bit longer. That being said, superchargers have been completed during the winter months, even in much colder climates, so anything is possible. The entire Transcanada Highway was activated in late December for example.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
I'm going to be passing through Waterloo this weekend and I'll try to check out the Hy-Vee to see if there's any sign of Supercharger construction.
Disappointingly, I'm going to be catching a ride in an ICE car for this trip. Without a SC in Waterloo there's just no way to make the trip without an hour+ detour, and even if I had the CHAdeMO adapter ABRP says that would add over an hour as well.

Reactions: ratsbew
I'm going to be passing through Waterloo this weekend and I'll try to check out the Hy-Vee to see if there's any sign of Supercharger construction.
Disappointingly, I'm going to be catching a ride in an ICE car for this trip. Without a SC in Waterloo there's just no way to make the trip without an hour+ detour, and even if I had the CHAdeMO adapter ABRP says that would add over an hour as well.

I was there Sunday. The only change is that they've planted grass seed around the Chademo stuff.

Didn't get a chance to stop in Waterloo since I was catching a ride. Disappointing that it sounds like its been pushed off to next year. Infrastructure in this area is still really bad and Tesla really needs to do something about it. Even if its just discounts for the CHAdeMO adapter.

A good move for this group would be to band together and ask the store if a cabinet could be put up and group together to buy one or two Chademo adapters for the MidAmerican Greenlots chargers in the mean time. If everyone put in $40 I bet it could be done easily and Hy-Vee would probably accommodate. They would need to be chained to the cabinet to prevent somone from walking off with them.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
You are really underestimating how much these charging stations cost. We're talking several thousand and then on top of that the adapter we would need costs $450.
Not sure I follow? The charging stations already exist in the Hy-Vee Parking lot. However, there is only two Chademo ones. They did recently change the price from Free to $1 plus $12.50 per hour. So what I am saying is that everyone bands together to get 1 or 2 Chademo adapters for the location that can stay there with Hy-Vee's permission (maybe at the the service desk for checkout). In the end it doesn't matter to me, I already have the adapter and have used it there several times.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
waterloo/cf tesla owners where do you guys get your tires rotated ?
Sorry but this was the only spot I thought I would get some local recs.

I've never rotated my tires. AWD cars rarely need to, because the tire wear is pretty even. On the X it is not possible anyway since the front and rears are different sizes. Frankly, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.