Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Watertown, SD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any updates on this? My wife and I drove our Model Y from Omaha up to Eden, SD and a supercharger at Watertown will be nice!
they have the wires all pulled and the transformers were supposed to be installed today but with the rain, looks like no work today. If the rain stops, i'm sure they will be here tomorrow. The construction guys said only a couple days of work left.
You can still swing by and grab some pics of the latest situation as you drive south.

• Informative
Reactions: frnkblk and mociaf9
Construction update.
2021-07-08 14.25.27.jpg
2021-07-08 14.25.41-1.jpg
2021-07-08 13.01.48.jpg
2021-07-08 13.01.19.jpg

So, for the pool (as described here), I show the following dates:

Jul 9 @repoanything, described here
Jul 14 @theothertom, described here
Jul 17 @HyperionMark, described here
Jul 20 @Newyowner, described here
Aug 5 @XHabjab, described here

To be clear, this would be for the first known Tesla charging at a pedestal after all tape and barricades are removed. Online status might be helpful but a known actual charge is the deciding point. A picture would be nice but not mandatory. The winner will get acknowledgement by a hearty "attaboy" (with gender adjustment as required). The loser(s) will get possible recognition but no other prize planned.

A special shout out to @PLUS EV who has a knack for charging at new Superchargers before opening events, Plugshare checkins, Tesla postings or really anybody knows they are up. Hint: Follow him around for the best estimate of when it will open.

Today is July 9, and it seems @repoanything is down for the count.

Reactions: vtboyarc

To be clear, this would be for the first known Tesla charging at a pedestal after all tape and barricades are removed. Online status might be helpful but a known actual charge is the deciding point. A picture would be nice but not mandatory. The winner will get acknowledgement by a hearty "attaboy" (with gender adjustment as required). The loser(s) will get possible recognition but no other prize planned.

A special shout out to @PLUS EV who has a knack for charging at new Superchargers before opening events, Plugshare checkins, Tesla postings or really anybody knows they are up. Hint: Follow him around for the best estimate of when it will open.

So sad for me, can I change my date? I'm having buyers remorse on the 9th now. :)

Transformer installed and Watertown Municipal Utilities finishing the hook-up. They will be finished today. The contractor is cleaning up and leveling the dirt. They are just waiting on the guys to paint the lines for the parking spots. Sure is nice seeing a plan come together.View attachment 683806
Love it I am planning on visiting my brother in watertown on Aug 1 st. This will definitely make a Pleasant trip.

Reactions: repoanything

So, today is the 15th. We haven't heard if there is a meter present or the transformer getting power, so I'll assume that @theothertom is out of the running.

Meter, inspection(s), power turn-on and commisioning can be an inexplicably long process. Or they can all happen in a day.

So, this is the 18th and we haven't heard any good news on opening. I'm going to assume that @HyperionMark is out.

Here is a checklist for what needs to happen:
  1. Three phase service line to the transformer. This can be all underground, or visible wires running up a power pole. Fuses present and circuit closed.
  2. Meter present on or near the transformer.
  3. The meter is powered up. Numbers showing up on the LCD (or equiv.).
  4. The transformer emits the oh so recognizable 60 Hz hum.
  5. The "Tesla" letters at the top of the charging pedestals are illuminated.
There are inspections required by multiple people who are on their own schedule between most of these steps. Once the transformer is activated, the Tesla guy (who is not local) has to get word of this and drive in from somewhere to test things out and commission the site. Possible multi-day. The meter is usually present sometime after the supply line is installed. Items 1, 2 and 3 may or may not be met in @repoanything 's picture above. If anybody stops by to take a picture, the status of the meter will give a lot of information.

Pictures, please!

Last edited:
Assuming everyone shows up to do their check in on the unit this week, it could very likely be live at the end of the week! Another exciting connecting point for ND! Now if only be could get one in Buffalo SD! (Tesla has already said no at least once)
I'll interpret that as July 24...

Allowing a latecomer (I'm making up the rules) gives:

Jul 24 @lightfoot3b

Remember that this is an over/under (a direct hit wins) and the result date is for the first known Tesla owned by a private individual charging at a pedestal after all tape and barricades are removed. The Tesla tech doesn't count.

The result is strictly enforced by the honor/honour system.

Seems like Grand Forks ND and Watertown SD are progressing at the same pace. Wonder if they will be turned on at the same time? Gosh I hope they are up and running by 1 August!
Are you looking for another pool/contest? You didn't enter this one... I'll add you as a late entry here for Aug 1. You only get half the prize if you win.

Jul 24 @lightfoot3b
Aug 1 @NOIDTF

• Funny
Reactions: theothertom
Are you looking for another pool/contest? You didn't enter this one... I'll add you as a late entry here for Aug 1. You only get half the prize if you win.

Jul 24 @lightfoot3b
Aug 1 @NOIDTF
Hahaha thanks! I have a trip from Omaha to Fargo scheduled and really hoping to get to use this supercharger! I check this thread on a daily basis and am itching for some new photos!

Seems like Grand Forks ND and Watertown SD are progressing at the same pace. Wonder if they will be turned on at the same time? Gosh I hope they are up and running by 1 August!
Yeeeeeeeeeppers! They should go live at similar times. Tesla can decide remotely if they want them live at the same time or at completion of testing. I hope they do right at completion!

Reactions: frnkblk