Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Watertown, SD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Date info for our "Supercharger Open" pool:

Jul 9 @repoanything, described here
Jul 14 @theothertom, described here
Jul 17 @HyperionMark, described here
Jul 20 @Newyowner, described here
Jul 24 @lightfoot3b
Aug 1 @NOIDTF
Aug 5 @XHabjab, described here
We have radio silence on the Supercharger status, but if we assume it is not going yet, then @XHabjab (ie. me) is out of the running (although I am closest to the date). No gloating here though - I was intentionally conservative in my pick but they were all good guesses.

For our next "wait and see" session, I think the city was unnecessarily pessimistic in their estimate of turn-on date. My belief it is to keep people off their back and the opening date might very well be soon... if not open already.

Reactions: theothertom
All plugged in and still no power. The charges look to be completed. I did notice all the charger covers have missing screws holding them on, meaning I could just pop to plastic covers off. I saw a post on here saying they still need a permit from the city. I dont think that is the case. The city utilities company is completely done with their job, I have contact there and the power is on at the meter. I talked to the company out of Sioux Falls last week that did the install and they were just finishing up a few items, so its in Tesla court now. I check it every day looking for power and will update as soon as I see the red lights on. Also, the Watertown City council at this weeks meeting did mention the Tesla chargers but said they would be available to ANY EV's . The local news paper called and asked me if that was the case and I said no, not at this time but prob in the near future. Seams the city is pushing a bit of misinformation.

2021-08-04 14.13.51.jpg

The more I encounter them, the more I am liking the diagonal back-ins. (Sympathy for trailers). Question... what are the poles for - not the bottom red part - the bare top part? Hopefully the bottom is soft.
The bottom is soft. I’m not quite sure how these parking spots will work. I backed in and I was at the limit of the charging cord with my model y. I was only 6 inches away from the pole. At that point I could not open my rear gate on my car because it would hit the pole. Depending on the location of the charging port on the cybertruck I highly doubt it will be able to plug-in if it backs in.

I just spoke to tesla supercharger dept they said they r waiting for town to give permit to turn it on. it’s built 100% they r hoping for this month or next end of next month. So sorry for the bad news.
I don’t think this is the case. Watertown The municipal utilities is the city in Watertown and he’s also the one who had the original permit. They are 100% complete with their job and have installed the meter. Once the meter is installed there’s no more they can do and they would not install the meter if it was still waiting on a permit from the city.

Reactions: lightfoot3b
So, Contractor back out working. Almost done with what the issue was. They apparently used the wrong type of insulation and needed to remove the spray on foam with whats on the bottom picture. Now the Tesla guy will need to come back out and turn it back on. Could not get it back on the schedule till next week. Bummer.
View attachment 695351View attachment 695352View attachment 695353
Ah dang. Thanks for the photos and info! Here’s hoping it is actually next week that it’s up!

Thanks for the update with pics! that really is spray foam versus a waterproof rubber-based sealant it looks like. wow. mistates get made. wish it was not the case.

I'm still hoping for Sept 9th when I will absolutely need this one. or the trip will be a big headache, trying to charge at any of the slower options in the area. (Plugshare people).

NONE of the Hotels in the Watertown area have any charging whatsoever. i know, i know, not a big EV dense area. crossing fingers next week will be the winner.

Thanks for the update with pics! that really is spray foam versus a waterproof rubber-based sealant it looks like. wow. mistates get made. wish it was not the case.

I'm still hoping for Sept 9th when I will absolutely need this one. or the trip will be a big headache, trying to charge at any of the slower options in the area. (Plugshare people).

NONE of the Hotels in the Watertown area have any charging whatsoever. i know, i know, not a big EV dense area. crossing fingers next week will be the winner.
worse case, your welcome to charge at our camp site. 50amp service. maybe an hour or 2 gets you to fargo if you fully charge in sioux falls

worse case, your welcome to charge at our camp site. 50amp service. maybe an hour or 2 gets you to fargo if you fully charge in sioux falls
Thank you for your offer! Will definitely keep it in mind. Actually I am headed east from Watertown to Minneapolis, then back to Watertown. Will have older parents with and wanted enough range to get out into the middle of SD on the return trip before getting back down to mostly the i-90 Superchargers back to Rapid City). It's a longer story than that but...again, thank you.

Another note here, if we all believe in Elon time being "just another 2 weeks" I'm still golden. but i have my concerns. Leave the main roads and it's a challenge to traverse some areas. It's filling in so nicely and fast. But I'm part of that "not fast enough" crowd, haha.

Thank you for your offer! Will definitely keep it in mind. Actually I am headed east from Watertown to Minneapolis, then back to Watertown. Will have older parents with and wanted enough range to get out into the middle of SD on the return trip before getting back down to mostly the i-90 Superchargers back to Rapid City). It's a longer story than that but...again, thank you.

Another note here, if we all believe in Elon time being "just another 2 weeks" I'm still golden. but i have my concerns. Leave the main roads and it's a challenge to traverse some areas. It's filling in so nicely and fast. But I'm part of that "not fast enough" crowd, haha.
I'm pretty sure next week is the ticket for opening it. It is complete other then the mistake the contractor did with the insulation and the Tesla Tech did charge at the charger already. i'm 99% sure it will be next week, early in the week. :)