Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Webster, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
This is NOT currently a location for a grey pin on Tesla's map so could be some time in the works. However Rudy's BBQ appears onboard for this location as they are happy with results so far of co-locating SCs at their stores.

Supercharger- Richmond, TX

It would also be nice having a SC for the SE side of Houston (a lot of people live here and all ;) ) and the route out to Galveston on the coast covered if you were going to be there for a long weekend at the beach.

Are we sure this Rudy's isn't actually in League City?
:D
I'm positive. Of course, anyone who was really picky and not interested in taking a unknown's word for it could go look it up on the City of Webster's online map of registered plats: http://www1.cityofwebster.com/ArcGISonline/Web/Plats/index.html

They'd end up finding the current plat, (.pdf warning) http://www1.cityofwebster.com/link/PlatProject/133.pdf, where the Rudy's in question is in section "B1".

Also, here's Tesla's EAB file record with the TX Dept. of Licensing and Regulations for the Supercharger build at that site, which shows Webster as the city:
https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/ABDataSearch/SearchResultDetail.asp?1=EABPRJB8811383
Project Name: Tesla - Tx035
Project Address: 21361 Gulf Frwy
City: Webster Zip: 77598 County: Harris
Scope of Work: Installation of 10 electric vehicle charging stalls, 5 equipment cabinets, 1 switchgear, 1 utility transformer
Building/Facility Name: Rudy's Bbq

Or, if all that's not good enough for you, when I called the City of Webster's building department last week after I stumbled across the TDLR filing as part of my own "Future Supercharger Sites" sleuthing to ask whether a building permit had been pulled yet, they told me, "Yes." Sort of. The gist of the information I was given was that the permit has been sitting in the building office for some weeks/months now but they haven't been able to get anyone to come pick it up. They've called Tesla (or whomever their point of contact was for the application) a number of times but can't seem to get ahold of anyone or get called back. o_O At least that was what I think was being said. I hope this is just a combination of Tesla's seemingly usual "we move fast and therefore easily get disorganized" and their temporary (hopefully?) slowdown of the SC build out during 2018 Q3/Q4 as they push for being cashflow positive and/or profitability. Frankly, IMO, this particular site isn't that important. Now that Ft. Stockton and Pecos are in, I would prefer them to work towards getting SCs installed in Lubbock, Wichita Falls, and Ft. Smith (Arkansas) long before they put serious effort into this site.

and their temporary (hopefully?) slowdown of the SC build out during 2018 Q3/Q4 as they push for being cashflow positive and/or profitability.
Supercharge.info currently has 15 SC construction sites (plus that 3+ month running Incline NV one) listed as active. Oh, and and one in Quebec.

Frankly, IMO, this particular site isn't that important. Now that Ft. Stockton and Pecos are in, I would prefer them to work towards getting SCs installed in Lubbock, Wichita Falls, and Ft. Smith (Arkansas) long before they put serious effort into this site.
That strikes me as much more likely reason. As active as construction is there are still resource limits. Outside TX, too, there is still the AK hole that can have winter construction, for example.

Last edited:
Supercharge.info currently has 15 SC construction sites (plus that 3+ month running Incline NV one) listed as active. Oh, and and one in Quebec.

Based on the the charts and data available from those pages on Supercharge.info: over the year from 2017-07-01 to 2018-06-30 (i.e. the prior 12 months ending before the start of 2018 Q3), worldwide Tesla averaged opening/installing ~12.5 SC stalls/day and, on the basis of entire Superchargers, 36 locations/month (for US-only it averaged 17.4 locations/month). In each of the 4 quarters of that 12 month they averaged opening/installing over 10.5 stalls/day [11.6, 15.8, 10.7, 13.0]. In Q3 of this year, worldwide Tesla averaged ~7.5 stalls/day and 21 locations/month (US-only averaged 10 locations/month). That means that, on average, Tesla was finishing 15 fewer Supercharger sites and ~150 fewer stalls each month. [Note: Q3 did still average more stalls/day than 2017 Q2, which came in at 6.8. And 2017 Q1 was a piddly 2.8 stalls/day. So, all things are relative.]

The Q3 slowdown was very real, my friend. Whether it ends up persisting through Q4 or not, who knows? We shall see. But, it's way too early to try to get a read on it.

EDIT: I added the bracketed note about the 2 quarters prior to that 12 months.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: emupilot
Based on the the charts and data available from those pages on Supercharge.info: over the year from 2017-07-01 to 2018-06-30 (i.e. the prior 12 months ending before the start of 2018 Q3), worldwide Tesla averaged opening/installing ~12.5 SC stalls/day and, on the basis of entire Superchargers, 36 locations/month (for US-only it averaged 17.4 locations/month). In each of the 4 quarters of that 12 month they averaged opening/installing over 10.5 stalls/day [11.6, 15.8, 10.7, 13.0]. In Q3 of this year, worldwide Tesla averaged ~7.5 stalls/day and 21 locations/month (US-only averaged 10 locations/month). That means that, on average, Tesla was finishing 15 fewer Supercharger sites and ~150 fewer stalls each month. [Note: Q3 did still average more stalls/day than 2017 Q2, which came in at 6.8. And 2017 Q1 was a piddly 2.8 stalls/day. So, all things are relative.]

The Q3 slowdown was very real, my friend. Whether it ends up persisting through Q4 or not, who knows? We shall see. But, it's way too early to try to get a read on it.

EDIT: I added the bracketed note about the 2 quarters prior to that 12 months.
1) You're splitting Mexico out of NA? That doesn't seem right, as it's integral to the NA network.
2) Does that database reflect stalls added to existing stations? I don't see that info in there, and we do know this has been going on, particularly in CA to ease congestion issues in popular locations.
3) Doing it by-stalls can also bias against gap filling stations that are relatively small but extending the network in a meaningful way and can have similar logistics overhead, rather than the big centers (that you see in CA). Q3 2018 station count is actually down somewhat from Q2 2018.

The "slowdown" isn't real, it's more an ebb and flow with unevenness in progress and types of installations along with some being "stealth" because of stall additions that don't seem to be tracked as closely.

We're off topic....
...on the second post of thread, no less. :p
...but the supercharger slowdown in Q3 was definitely real. You'd have to be delusional or misinformed to argue otherwise.
There was a lower count of completions in September, that dragged the whole Q down, but if you look at the variations this comes and goes. It's not a clockwork thing, because that's generally not how projects work in practice, and now there is as many in active construction at this moment as often a full month's worth.

It's squinting and seeing patterns in noise.

• Disagree
Reactions: PLUS EV
Also, here's Tesla's EAB file record with the TX Dept. of Licensing and Regulations for the Supercharger build at that site, which shows Webster as the city:
https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/ABDataSearch/SearchResultDetail.asp?1=EABPRJB8811383
Project Name: Tesla - Tx035
Project Address: 21361 Gulf Frwy
City: Webster Zip: 77598 County: Harris
Scope of Work: Installation of 10 electric vehicle charging stalls, 5 equipment cabinets, 1 switchgear, 1 utility transformer
Building/Facility Name: Rudy's Bbq

so... does anyone know the build status of this SC in Webster? i was wondering whether anyone in the area has seen any activity at the Rudy”s BBQ referenced in the EAB file.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
No pavement markings or anything but utility ID marker flags at this point. But I loved seeing this:

C1FF1EBE-0514-419B-AABF-4DF107045D4E.jpeg

C865DED4-DCBD-4B62-9038-B03B7675AB1F.jpeg

The leg of overhead power that comes off the roadside lines, and looks like it feeds Rudy’s, has an additional pole added at the end with ready-already connections for a nice 3-phase drop. Right next to the south lobe of the parking lot.

In short, it’s ready for a super quick build by the contractor, potentially no concrete cutting even needed, for an 8-stall Supercharger at a decent remove from the prime parking spots.

Someone working there drives a Performance S pre-refresh.

• Informative
Reactions: Behind
There is a pretty high density of people in apartments, condos and townhouses in the Clear Lake and Webster area. If I was one of those guys, this would make me happy. Plus it's near Fry's and Academy. I usually head over there on weekends anyway.

No pavement markings or anything but utility ID marker flags at this point. But I loved seeing this:

View attachment 373150

View attachment 373149

The leg of overhead power that comes off the roadside lines, and looks like it feeds Rudy’s, has an additional pole added at the end with ready-already connections for a nice 3-phase drop. Right next to the south lobe of the parking lot.

In short, it’s ready for a super quick build by the contractor, potentially no concrete cutting even needed, for an 8-stall Supercharger at a decent remove from the prime parking spots.

Someone working there drives a Performance S pre-refresh.

200w-2.gif

Yes!

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Imagine my surprise today at lunch at Rudy's BBQ in Webster TX to find a supercharger install underway!

Activity looks to have just started in the rear/south side of the parking lot, in a portion that is not usually occupied (so an ICEr would be going out of his/her way to take the spot).

Attachments

• 20190418_114033.jpg
    20190418_114033.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 20190418_114038.jpg
    20190418_114038.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 20190418_114133.jpg
    20190418_114133.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Rudys_Location.jpg
    Rudys_Location.jpg