Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wells, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly what I've been saying. There's a reason the v2s were 4 stall minimum and the v3s are 8 stalls minimum.
there's a new supercharger in the remote part of Norway called Skaidi, Norway(supercharge.info and go look a the pictures) and that location only has 3 v3 superchargers. its the first time I've seen anything like it. Maybe Tesla's gonna start using something like this for very rural areas that dont get traffic but still are an important link?

there's a new supercharger in the remote part of Norway called Skaidi, Norway(supercharge.info and go look a the pictures) and that location only has 3 v3 superchargers. its the first time I've seen anything like it. Maybe Tesla's gonna start using something like this for very rural areas that dont get traffic but still are an important link?
The marginal cost to add a 4th pedestal would be minimal, so there was probably another reason for only 3. My best guess is the folks on elbilforum were discussing a shared transformer with the other L3 charger and wondering if it would be 400V to accommodate both instead of the 480V superchargers need for full power.

• Informative
Reactions: Fadiawesome
I spoke to the Supercharger tech last week in Twin when he was working on them. He stated they're moving full steam ahead because they're quickly getting overrun with all the Y's and 3's going out. My friend has supermarkets in Ely, McCall, and elsewhere and is an owner himself, so we cut through the bureaucracy a bit and I gave the tech his direct cell, and vice versa. With a cooperative host it should go quick. Tech also said they're looking at Ketchum (praise God) Stanley, and Salmon ID. It'd be amazing if they started filling in Idaho off-freeway.
I don't own a Tesla (Not yet anyway, when I'm graduated in EE, I intend to change that), but I do like to look at routes from an academic interest. Central Idaho would be incredibly useful for several trips. Along with the previously mentioned, I think Arco and Challis would also be really useful for filling in Highways 20 and 93.

I don't own a Tesla (Not yet anyway, when I'm graduated in EE, I intend to change that), but I do like to look at routes from an academic interest. Central Idaho would be incredibly useful for several trips. Along with the previously mentioned, I think Arco and Challis would also be really useful for filling in Highways 20 and 93.
I just visited my friend in Challis a couple weekends ago, and we took my 3 up to Lost Trail for some snowboarding. You couldn't be more right. Challis sucks for charging, just campgrounds and they want $30 to charge it up over night. I was able to get up to 250 after a couple days on his 120v for the snowboard trip, and charged to full in Salmon at the Stagecoach Inn where we ended up just staying the night so I could have a full charge for the trip back to Twin Falls. I'm glad there's at least the charger in Salmon but there needs to be a SC or at least a CHAdeMO in Salmon, Challis or even Arco to make driving through there without a long stay feasible.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Greetings!

I also do not own a Tesla (yet) but have been considering them for about 10 years. I have test driven the original roadster and an S and they are impressive vehicles. For a non-owner I keep a pretty close eye on what Tesla is doing because I REALLY want my next vehicle (replacing a 2003 Pontiac Vibe) to be electric. The problem is that Tesla has not yet produced a model that meets my needs, though the Y has possibilities - but also several weaknesses. It seems like every model Tesla has produced so far has some glaring feature that I can't live with. An example would be the Falcon Wing doors on the X.

I stumbled across this thread because I do an annual 2 week trip from my location at the South end of Vancouver Island in Canada to Ely Nevada and was scoping out whether that trip could be done with a Tesla using their supercharger network. The missing link was a charger in Wells - and that problem has now been resolved!! Such a trip looks quite practical now.

I noted comments is this thread that a S/C in Ely would be nice. As it turns out I know some people in Ely, one of whom runs a business that has a public parking lot and its own electrical substation. Hmmm... If a deal with upinatem's friend with the supermarket (starts with an "R"?) doesn't pan out I could talk to my friend to see if he would be interested. Any updates on that project upinatem? On second thought, perhaps I should suggest it to my friend anyway as having 2 requests from Ely to install a S/C might get more attention from Tesla.

Comments???

Regards

Vince

Greetings!

I also do not own a Tesla (yet) but have been considering them for about 10 years. I have test driven the original roadster and an S and they are impressive vehicles. For a non-owner I keep a pretty close eye on what Tesla is doing because I REALLY want my next vehicle (replacing a 2003 Pontiac Vibe) to be electric. The problem is that Tesla has not yet produced a model that meets my needs, though the Y has possibilities - but also several weaknesses. It seems like every model Tesla has produced so far has some glaring feature that I can't live with. An example would be the Falcon Wing doors on the X.

I stumbled across this thread because I do an annual 2 week trip from my location at the South end of Vancouver Island in Canada to Ely Nevada and was scoping out whether that trip could be done with a Tesla using their supercharger network. The missing link was a charger in Wells - and that problem has now been resolved!! Such a trip looks quite practical now.

I noted comments is this thread that a S/C in Ely would be nice. As it turns out I know some people in Ely, one of whom runs a business that has a public parking lot and its own electrical substation. Hmmm... If a deal with upinatem's friend with the supermarket (starts with an "R"?) doesn't pan out I could talk to my friend to see if he would be interested. Any updates on that project upinatem? On second thought, perhaps I should suggest it to my friend anyway as having 2 requests from Ely to install a S/C might get more attention from Tesla.

Comments???

Regards

Vince
Go for it! The more interest the better!

Greetings!

Comments???

Regards

Vince
Definitely go for it! I would be thrilled with a supercharger in Ely.

So we just did Vegas down 93 with our CHAdeMO and the Wells SC. The Wells one definitely cuts down on the hurt but that Greenlots in Ely is straight up highway robbery. 2 hours, which meant 2 $5 connection fees since it shuts off after an hour, plus 50 cents a kw meant it cost $40 to top off our 75D X there. I did the math and coming back the time was a wash plus it saved us $50 in charging to go up I-15 through Utah using just superchargers. I did just get a hold of a ccs to Tesla adapter off alibaba a guy on plugshare showed me. It’s supposed to get up to 80kw to it might help next time.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and IdaX
So we just did Vegas down 93 with our CHAdeMO and the Wells SC. The Wells one definitely cuts down on the hurt but that Greenlots in Ely is straight up highway robbery. 2 hours, which meant 2 $5 connection fees since it shuts off after an hour, plus 50 cents a kw meant it cost $40 to top off our 75D X there. I did the math and coming back the time was a wash plus it saved us $50 in charging to go up I-15 through Utah using just superchargers. I did just get a hold of a ccs to Tesla adapter off alibaba a guy on plugshare showed me. It’s supposed to get up to 80kw to it might help next time.
Yeah if your only concern is time, there's no reason to get off the freeway (at least not until they put a supercharger in Ely). My main motivation for wanting to go through Ely is to switch it up a little as I've done that freeway drive so many times now in my Model S.

The cost of charging in Ely doesn't sound that bad to me. I'm definitely willing to pay a premium in remote locations with few other options. The important thing is it worked!

Reactions: IdaX
The route I've been looking at the last few years to go from Idaho down to Las Vegas is to go down to West Wendover Supercharger first. And then I think it looks about doable to get from West Wendover all the way down to Panaca, NV, where there is a free CHAdeMO. And then from there, it's easy to reach Las Vegas. I haven't heard if anyone has tried this method yet, though.

The route I've been looking at the last few years to go from Idaho down to Las Vegas is to go down to West Wendover Supercharger first. And then I think it looks about doable to get from West Wendover all the way down to Panaca, NV, where there is a free CHAdeMO. And then from there, it's easy to reach Las Vegas. I haven't heard if anyone has tried this method yet, though.
Driving through Wendover instead of Wells shortens your longest leg by 18 miles, but that is deceiving as the Wendover supercharger is 1200 ft lower than the Wells supercharger. So it's really only saving you maybe ~10 rated miles. Either way you will have to drive very carefully on the long leg, but it's hard to imagine that adding an extra hour of driving (plus charging) time by going through Wendover is worth it. I would just drive through Wells and drive more slowly.

Driving through Wendover instead of Wells shortens your longest leg by 18 miles, but that is deceiving as the Wendover supercharger is 1200 ft lower than the Wells supercharger. So it's really only saving you maybe ~10 rated miles. Either way you will have to drive very carefully on the long leg, but it's hard to imagine that adding an extra hour of driving (plus charging) time by going through Wendover is worth it. I would just drive through Wells and drive more slowly.
Hmm, I hadn't thought to look much at the elevation changes. I was just visually checking how to minimize the distance of that long non-charging section to get something that could possibly work with my S85.

I did something similar in an X P100D back in 2018. Topped off to near-full overnight using a dryer plug at a hotel in Wells, NV. Then drove at 50 mph in near-ideal temperature conditions with no A/C or heat (just fan) and made it to Panaca without too much trouble. Nowadays, though, no reason not to drive comfortably at the speed limit and grab some kW-hr in Ely with your CHADeMO instead.

Running the trip through ABRP, it suggests charging in Ely either way. Then Alamo instead of Panaca. From Wells to LV, estimated time savings is about 3 hours over driving from Wells to SLC and down I-15.

Running the trip through ABRP, it suggests charging in Ely either way. Then Alamo instead of Panaca. From Wells to LV, estimated time savings is about 3 hours over driving from Wells to SLC and down I-15.
And when I was looking at this route, this was back before there was ever ANY kind of DC charging in Ely of any kind, so charging there wasn't a thing. (And there was no Supercharger in Wells either.) I was trying to figure out how to make the hops from some kind of fast charging to another without having to sit for hours on a 40A RV outlet at a campground. And so I was kind of bringing it up when @upinatem mentioned the $50 charge in Ely to see if it was still a viable way to make the trip while avoiding that.

Reactions: upinatem