Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wells, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO Crystal Springs is the best option. Perhaps at the Alien Research Center. Would help with the drive to/from Tonopah.

Geographically Crystal Springs is good, but....uhhhh....well....there really ain't nothin' there (except for the aliens)...
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.45.41 AM.png

Nice. We'll use that on our frequent trips from Southern OR to Salt Lake City.

Now if they'd just split the distance between Klamath Falls and Winnemucca. At 307 miles, I'm unwilling to try it even at 100%. Lakeview, OR is at about a 1/3 point. I'd rather have one more like halfway, but Lakeview is on US 395, so would also be a good spot for north-south traffic on that route.
I used the Supercharger in Klamath Falls for a range charge, and took the Winnemucca to the Sea Highway through Lakeview and arrived in Winnemucca with my 2020 Model S. A Supercharger in Lakeview would be quite useful.

I was also able to drive from Winnemucca directly to Tonopah without an interim charge.

I really want a Supercharger in Ely to make it to Twin Falls via Hwy 93 and 318. I can't make it to Wells from Las Vegas without an interim charge. Wells is nice, but Ely would have been more useful.

I really want a Supercharger in Ely to make it to Twin Falls via Hwy 93 and 318. I can't make it to Wells from Las Vegas without an interim charge. Wells is nice, but Ely would have been more useful.

It's 382 miles, but also a 3600 ft elevation drop from Wells to Vegas. Most cars wouldn't make it, but barring a headwind it's probably doable in non-winter months in a 2020 S. Try it and report back! :)

I was also able to drive from Winnemucca directly to Tonopah without an interim charge.

What was your route? That's pretty far, and (to steal an East coast phrase) a lot of "can't get there from here".

/edit. Eh, actually I guess it's around 260 miles if you go through Battle... I keep forgetting the 2020 and later S has so much more range then my old 2013 S (and my current X).

Reactions: gnelson
The Wells SC station will be greatly appreciated. So many times I have had to go from Twin Falls to Elko with the heat off, range mode on and drafting in the winter with snow/rain, sub zero temps and a headwind. Now I can splurge and decide when I get to Wells if I need to stop for a sip to get to Elko.

It might even work OK to skip Elko to Winnemucca but I think that is a stretch with little alternatives. Probably just need 10 mins in Wells which I will certainly make up with my increased speed from Twin Falls

man I really hope they put one in ely, and with wells, it would make everything so much easier going from Vegas to boise
I spoke to the Supercharger tech last week in Twin when he was working on them. He stated they're moving full steam ahead because they're quickly getting overrun with all the Y's and 3's going out. My friend has supermarkets in Ely, McCall, and elsewhere and is an owner himself, so we cut through the bureaucracy a bit and I gave the tech his direct cell, and vice versa. With a cooperative host it should go quick. Tech also said they're looking at Ketchum (praise God) Stanley, and Salmon ID. It'd be amazing if they started filling in Idaho off-freeway.

IMHO Crystal Springs is the best option. Perhaps at the Alien Research Center. Would help with the drive to/from Tonopah.
I did the drive on my M3P w/ 20s from Tonopah through here and then to Panaca last summer. I had to leave Tonopah with about 93% and made it to Panaca with about 12 percent. I felt I was kind of gambling not knowing if the middle of summer temps would affect my consumption but if consumption was too much I was planning on stopping at Alamo. Fortunately I didn’t have to and it made it fine to Panaca.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and PLUS EV
I spoke to the Supercharger tech last week in Twin when he was working on them. He stated they're moving full steam ahead because they're quickly getting overrun with all the Y's and 3's going out. My friend has supermarkets in Ely, McCall, and elsewhere and is an owner himself, so we cut through the bureaucracy a bit and I gave the tech his direct cell, and vice versa. With a cooperative host it should go quick. Tech also said they're looking at Ketchum (praise God) Stanley, and Salmon ID. It'd be amazing if they started filling in Idaho off-freeway.
WOW!!!!!!!!! (lol can you see im excited for these?) These are perfect locations, thank you God.. Thanks dude, I wonder if there is a way to show collective interest for these chargers. Im glad they're finally looking at putting chargers on non freeways, there are so many highways frequently used that don't have chargers.

Wow--yeah, these would be really nice. They aren't areas that need a lot of capacity, like 10 or 12 stalls, but they cover really large areas, so some smaller 2 or 4 stall locations would serve them just fine.

Reactions: upinatem
They aren't areas that need a lot of capacity, like 10 or 12 stalls, but they cover really large areas, so some smaller 2 or 4 stall locations would serve them just fine.

The go-to standard install these days for Tesla is 8 V3 chargers, consisting of 2 cabinets. A single (one cabinet, 4 stalls) setup would be perfect for most of these off interstate locations. I think the logistics of having many smaller (4 stall) locations is a hassle for Tesla though.

Reactions: upinatem
The go-to standard install these days for Tesla is 8 V3 chargers, consisting of 2 cabinets. A single (one cabinet, 4 stalls) setup would be perfect for most of these off interstate locations. I think the logistics of having many smaller (4 stall) locations is a hassle for Tesla though.
It is also a good point that with the 4 from 1 system of version 3, that doesn't give redundancy for failure if you only have one cabinet there.