TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - West Hartford, CT

Discussion in 'New England' started by Cottonwood, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

2. TDR32

TDR32 Member

Good location right across the street from the westfarms mall. There is plenty to do there during business hours and it is not sketchy late at night.

3. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

To those living in CT and the Northeast, what will this supercharger be most useful for in terms of travel? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the highways in that area.

4. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Yes, this is awesome news. The first two superchargers in CT were on I-95 ("no one drives on I-95, it is too crowded there") and one was added on the Merritt Parkway a few miles from I-95. This supercharger opens up the I-84 route to/through NYC from New England
    (or vise versa) instead of the more congested "coastal" roads.

It opens options given the congestion in the area. I regularly travel between (west of) Boston and Philadelphia.

It may also help those going from the NYC area to/from Vermont...

5. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Allows 60kWh models to easily take the inland route to Boston from NYC, particularly in the winter
    Opens the Tappan Zee and Beacon-Newburgh bridges as viable options for crossing the Hudson when traveling to New England
    It's a small step to opening travel to VT from CT and NY City without having to detour through Albany.

6. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

In real-world situations, one could get from there to, say, Bellows Falls and back on a full charge. So, it's a start for accessing northern New England and great that is, but it's only a start.
    Once it's up, I certainly could get from Hartford to my uncle's in _______________ and back without having to tap him for access to his expensive VT electricity, but that's a moot point from here in Alaska :wink:

7. tmac

tmac Member

Awesome news; the more Superchargers go in the more I want a Model S.
    I may have to buy a Tesla now. Freshman at Trinity. Fill up at home here in Maine then again in West Hartford.
    With Auburn West Springfiield also coming online may try for the 60kw pack?
    Anyone on here in 60kw Model S?
    Tesla is really covering Southern New England really well!!!!!!!!!!!

8. drbillcorcoran

drbillcorcoran New Member

Who knows when it will open?

9. shelbri

shelbri Member

No insight but hopeful it will be prior to turkey day. Gives them one month to compete construction and deal with inspection sign offs.

10. GoodCheer

GoodCheer Member

Is this site actually under construction as it indicates on the map ( Superchargers ), or is that a mistake? Is there anybody within easy driving range of the location who would be interested in shooting some pix for the community?

11. shelbri

shelbri Member

This site is very well under construction with photos available in the thread link below.

West Hartford Construction Photos

12. dyoreo

dyoreo Member

This picture was posted by Seanmccutchan on 10-19-2014

attachment.php?attachmentid=61777&d=1413777107.jpg

13. Cottonwood

Construction photos: New New England Supercharger Locations - Page 47

14. GoodCheer

GoodCheer Member

Thanks! I didn't realize that there were multiple threads on the one location.

15. Bluespark

Bluespark Member

I am certainly not trying to "look a gifted horse in the mouth", but for those traveling North or South bound on Rt 91, this location is a bit off the beaten path. It is 7 miles from where 84 and 91 cross paths in Hartford, to where this charger is. It is a very bad stretch of highway, traffic wise, during the "rush" hours.

This location however will be a boom for those traversing CT from NY on Rt 84, on their way to Boston. They hit up this charger then after another 70 miles they will be in Auburn, MA to hit that charger.

16. Cottonwood

Just keep going north on I-91 and West Springfield is very close to the beaten path, and it is only 76 miles from Milford. That blue dot will be a real Supercharger some day. :biggrin:

West Springfield.jpg

17. Bluespark

Bluespark Member

True. I, wasn't thinking of that. Here in CT most people try to avoid RT 95 at all costs and that is where the Milford charger is. When I am coming up from the NYC area, I like many others travel on the Merritt Parkway and stop at the Greenwich charger. So that location which is furthest Southern point in CT and I figured West Springfield would be a bit of a stretch from Greenwich.

18. Cottonwood

Good point, but Greenwich, CT to West Springfield is only 113 miles, so I think that you will have lots of choices. Now, you just need some Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine Superchargers!

19. Bluespark

Bluespark Member

Swung by the charger site today and it looks like no one has been working for the last couple of days. Today it was sunny and 73 degs, but everything was still under plastic.

20. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner