Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Lebanon NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting anxious this supercharger won't be open by the end of July. That would pretty much end my plan to use my tesla for a road trip up I91 to i89 on July 26. I've done it in the past, but this year I've got to have bikes on the car, which will kill my range (I suspect, don't know for sure).

</disappoined_sunday_post>

Now that we know that the local utility isn't fast to complete installations, who will be responsible for Seabrook?

The quick utility that worked in Hookset, the West Lebanon one, or another one?

Side note, if everything's complete at W. Leb., why there is no beginning at S. Burlington future SC site?

Common sense would be that the ones that made the W. Leb. SC would now start S. Burlington (and Plattsburgh after...)... Tesla would have to be ALWAYS ahead of the game...

I know it's hard for Tesla to coordinate SC construction/completion, but I'm so disappointed about the work Tesla has been doing with the SC development... Drummondville, Québec; Kingston, Ontario (and many others) were a nightmare... delays after delays...

SC chargers is really at a critical point to be done at this point... there are many that are critical and not built at this point...

Just hope that the Tesla SuperCharging team will speed up things...

:S

Side note, if everything's complete at W. Leb., why there is no beginning at S. Burlington future SC site?

Common sense would be that the ones that made the W. Leb. SC would now start S. Burlington (and Plattsburgh after...)... Tesla would have to be ALWAYS ahead of the game...

I know it's hard for Tesla to coordinate SC construction/completion, but I'm so disappointed about the work Tesla has been doing with the SC development... Drummondville, Québec; Kingston, Ontario (and many others) were a nightmare... delays after delays...

SC chargers is really at a critical point to be done at this point... there are many that are critical and not built at this point...

Just hope that the Tesla SuperCharging team will speed up things...

:S

Most of these delays are out of Tesla's control. Zoning approval, local permits, and utility work are typically the causes of the delays. Here in South Burlington, we are just waiting for the city to sign off on it. The property owner and the utility are very excited about it. In fact, Green Mountain Power is one of the most progressive utilities in the U.S. when it comes to electric cars and solar power. Once they break ground, this location should go up quickly.

This is a complex process for Tesla in that practically every location has unique permitting and zoning issues. The Superchargers themselves are standardized of course, but property owners and local permitting processes can vary greatly.

I agree. I've never seen any evidence that Tesla could do anything to make these sites go up any faster. I'm sure they are just as frustrated as anyone when a site gets held up.

I agree that delays in Supercharger construction are frustrating, but Tesla could easily get more built if they just started more. This would mean building more Superchargers in parallel. Delays slow down an individual Supercharger, but there is no reason that delays have to reduce the rate of Supercharger openings in the aggregate.

I agree that delays in Supercharger construction are frustrating, but Tesla could easily get more built if they just started more. This would mean building more Superchargers in parallel. Delays slow down an individual Supercharger, but there is no reason that delays have to reduce the rate of Supercharger openings in the aggregate.

... And more contractors and cash flow.

I've never seen any evidence that Tesla could do anything to make these sites go up any faster.

There's clear evidence. When Elon originally wanted a working cross country route put in, things happened fast. Of course this doesn't scale and is not particularly repeatable. I'm sure Tesla at that time threw far more money at the problem (on a per supercharger basis), Elon was probably personally involved, and site existence far outweighed convenience and comfort. Those three things alone would tend to make things happen fast. Also, they could just go around obstacles (speculating from the route: Nebraska is being a pain, so we'll just go through South Dakota). Nowadays they have to patiently deal with problems to get specific sites done, and they care that the sites are viable long term and work well for customers. So it's a trade-off between good and fast. As always.

In my opinion their progress is phenomenal, and the only really important long-term issue is what the network of superchargers will look like when Model 3 goes to market. Of course my short term issues are like everybody else's here -- give me more chargers to places I care about and make them comfortable, convenient, safe, and effective!

I agree with both your short- and long-term issues here. But I still think that once Tesla commits to a location, they are not the bottleneck. That's all I was really trying to say. Just in the north-east area in the past month or so, there have been delays on utility hook ups, mis-built sites by contractors, and problems with permits.

In the meantime...if you're looking to charge in Burlington...you can stay overnight at Hotel Vermont and charge. The charging stations are by ChargePoint....but I think they were free...and the parking spots are right next to the door to the hotel lobby...really nice.

What @ToddRLockwood said.

And, even so, the number I've heard tossed around is one new Supercharger opened every 33 hours. These guys are doing an amazing job.

Alan

Most of these delays are out of Tesla's control. Zoning approval, local permits, and utility work are typically the causes of the delays. Here in South Burlington, we are just waiting for the city to sign off on it. The property owner and the utility are very excited about it. In fact, Green Mountain Power is one of the most progressive utilities in the U.S. when it comes to electric cars and solar power. Once they break ground, this location should go up quickly.

This is a complex process for Tesla in that practically every location has unique permitting and zoning issues. The Superchargers themselves are standardized of course, but property owners and local permitting processes can vary greatly.