Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Lebanon NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't supposed they will take an opportunity to also add restrooms and and place to eat as well? I've been in the price chopper far too many times (if it's even open), never a big fan of this site several lights off the highway, but it is extremely important as there are a lack of chargers in NH and VT, especially CCS. Sharing has always been an issue and confusing as most people park on the wrong side. They should have put them on the road side edge of the lot in the first place. So glad to finally see some 250kWs though
This closure really hurts - its an important link in an area without too many SCs.

I wonder when they'll start adding CCS1 cables to the pedestals.

Reactions: kayak1
OK, good news/bad news...

Bad news, no transformer yet. Also, on closer inspection, the feeders running down the pole into the conduit are gone. There is a line of dig safe flags from the pole to the transformer pad, so maybe they are installing new conduit vs pulling new wires through the old conduit (vs using the original feeders?)

Good news, construction on the 8 new stalls is underway. Yellow warning tape has been strung across the entrance to the chargers and around the construction area. Lots of excavation. Concrete forms in place. The gravel that was on the transformer pad has been cleared off and a chain has been strung between lifting points on opposite corners of the pad.

Anyone know why they dug out around the parking spaces? Maybe these spaces are going to be pull-through vs back into?

forms.png

xfmr_pad.png

parking spaces.png

OK, good news/bad news...

Bad news, no transformer yet. Also, on closer inspection, the feeders running down the pole into the conduit are gone. There is a line of dig safe flags from the pole to the transformer pad, so maybe they are installing new conduit vs pulling new wires through the old conduit (vs using the original feeders?)

Good news, construction on the 8 new stalls is underway. Yellow warning tape has been strung across the entrance to the chargers and around the construction area. Lots of excavation. Concrete forms in place. The gravel that was on the transformer pad has been cleared off and a chain has been strung between lifting points on opposite corners of the pad.

Anyone know why they dug out around the parking spaces? Maybe these spaces are going to be pull-through vs back into?

View attachment 827634

View attachment 827635

View attachment 827636
I think pull-in is the best guess - never seen a pull-in site constructed (and personally, I hate them). We'll see.

As of today, the electrical permit has been applied for under project number J2022-0226. It's showing as on hold - not sure if that actually means anything or if further paperwork (and payment) need to be completed before it's actually issued and they can begin the electrical component of this job.

Lots of progress today. I now understand the trenching between the new parking spots and the need to close down the existing spots. The new conduits run in front of the existing spaces (ie, under your front bumper when you are backed in), then up the side of the space. That way the existing conduits (under the existing charging bollards) are undisturbed. They've also trenched from the transformer pad to the equipment pad where the charging cabinets are located and laid a form for the extension of the equipment pad.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 10.13.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 10.15.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 10.16.00 PM.png

Everyone working so quick! Almost 10 people. Looks like it could be done by end of week or next week the latest. Here’s some of my drive by at 9:00am today.
If the crew size was close to 10 people, I believe that means the contractor has assigned multiple crews to work this job concurrently (they usually have two+ sites under construction concurrently). While this could just mean they're done with another site (New Haven CT), I suspect it's more likely they have a real understanding of how heavily used this site is and are doing everything they can to get it done and back online ASAP. I think this is further reflected by the fact that they did not have the project span the July 4th holiday traffic rush.

I think I a huge thank you to the crew is in order!

Replacing 99% of the previous V2 equipment - the pedestals (all 8), the supercharger cabinets (4 replaced with 2) and perhaps all the wiring if the V2 wiring is not rated for the higher power the V3 stalls do. Not sure about the switchgear upstream of the supercharger cabinets - but probably that too.

How long can new cars sustain >150kW? I question whether upgrading a station from V2->V3 makes much difference in the average session.
someone with recorded charging curves can answer the first question, but, for me, when the stations are 'lightly used' I've found (in my limited experience) little meaningful difference for a 'full charge'. but for a low SOC 'splash and go' the V3 are so nice and quick. and a crowded V2 station (looking at you, Berlin Vt) can be a 30min affair rather than the 12 min the car projected. So - V3 is certainly worth having in high use locations.

I wonder if tesla can repackage removed V2 equipment for use in modular supercharger packages that a remote convenience store could request to 'trial' this new potential market?

Reactions: Johnny Vector
... for me, when the stations are 'lightly used' I've found (in my limited experience) little meaningful difference for a 'full charge'. but for a low SOC 'splash and go' the V3 are so nice and quick... So - V3 is certainly worth having in high use locations.

@essaunders what is your vehicle?

@tga the issue isn't peak rate, it's the shape of the charging curve.

I have an early 2019 Model S 100D (pre-raven). The rated maximum charge rate on my vehicle was 125 kW (as-new, since considerably raised by software updates), but I find a significant difference between V3 and V2 charging sessions. The V3 superchargers hold a higher rate of charge (although lower than V2 rated max) for a longer time period, leading to quicker charging sessions at almost any SOC, battery precondition, or outside temperature. I avoid V2 superchargers when possible, the V3 experience is addictive.

And my vehicle has relatively older technology (although not as old as tga's). Model 3's & Y's are far more popular than S's & X's, I expect the difference for them is even clearer.

Reactions: jlv1
I have a Model Y. To me the biggest difference is the 'less power sharing' on the V3. but in general, my humans are seldom ready to go before the car is..
Same here. If no power sharing occurs, I gain a couple-three minutes in charge time, then the car hits the point where the battery cannae take any more, cap'n, and pulls the same power whether it's V2 or V3. And if you're heading to the head or waiting in line at the Starbucks, that couple minutes difference is not noticeable.

If you're sharing power on a V2, it's a different story.

so, dumb question, perhaps. this was a V2 (150kw) supercharger. for the existing 8 stalls what's involved in upgrading them to V3? I'm assuming a new charger cabinet, pull new underground cables and then swap in new V3 pedestal?
New equipment pad with different layout, new supercharger cabinets, new conduit** (V3 uses a larger size) between cabinets and stalls, new wiring, new pedestals, and possibly a new utility transformer. It's basically tear everything out and redo the whole site, which is why Tesla never**** does it. They only supplement existing V2 with added V3, they don't remove and replace. Or they just build an entirely new V3 station at another location in the area.

**It's possible they could get away with re-using the conduit. I don't know if the larger diameter used on V3 installations is required by code for the currents they are running or if it's just something they've found makes for improved performance without actually being required.

****Besides a handful of early V3 testing sites at pre-existing superchargers (Kettleman City, Tesla Fremont and LA locations, etc.) where they did partial swaps, the only location where Tesla has removed the V2s and replaced with V3 at that same spot is the JFK airport supercharger in NYC. So, once, not never.

Last edited: