Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Lebanon NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking into account @essaunders' and @Johnny Vector's experience I can only say: Your Mileage May Vary

😁
I gotta say, your observations don't really make sense. Assuming the SC can deliver all the power your car can take, a V3 station can't be faster than V2. 100kW from a V3 is the same as 100kW from a V2.

V3 will be faster if the car can accept >133kW, or (potentially) at a shared V2.

I gotta say, your observations don't really make sense. Assuming the SC can deliver all the power your car can take, a V3 station can't be faster than V2. 100kW from a V3 is the same as 100kW from a V2.

V3 will be faster if the car can accept >133kW, or (potentially) at a shared V2.

I would agree with your analysis if the peak power were maintained for most of the charging session, but it's not (on my car), not even close.

V3 superchargers consistently deliver a higher peak (on my car) - but more importantly, V3 superchargers deliver power at 80-90% of peak for a noticeably longer time. That is, they stay near-peak longer.

FWIW, the highest peak I've seen (since the software update that promised "improved charging") is ~180 kW, although I don't see it often.

@Tdreamer pointed out that I have access to historical charging curves (through TeslaFi), and I've just started looking at them. So far, the V3 charging curves look somewhat like what @Tdreamer shared above - start high and gradually drop off (although the measurements are lower of course), but the V2 curves show building up to the peak in the first few minutes and immediately dropping off. This supports the observation that my car behaves differently depending on the supercharger its plugged in to.

YMMV, and of course there are lots of variables I'm not discussing above (power sharing, outside temperature, battery condition) that need to be held consistent

Here are some updated pictures today.
IMG_3999.JPG
IMG_4002.JPG
IMG_4003.JPG
IMG_4001.JPG

I have driven from Lebanon NH to Washington DC using about 5 superchargers on my Model S75 2017. My time at each supercharger was roughly 15-20 minutes. I strategize by arriving at each supercharger to 20% or a little lower. Wasn't bad. At my hotel was when I just charge to 90%. Sure, having a larger capacity battery is nice, but, I don't really make long trips often due to work. Once in awhile you get to take long trips, not all the time. Didn't find any inconvenience at all.

Made a few trips to Montreal and Ottawa up in Canada as well. Not bad. Didn't need to stay at any superchargers for long, except for the final destination. V2, V3, V1....I'm comfortable with any.

Sitting in my S at a V2 SC yesterday, happily getting 110kW and having a Y plug in the last open station (and paired with mine) watching my rate immediately drop to 75kW, I was really missing V3 behavior. The Y user thought the station was broken since it was charging “so slow”. I decided to move on, and they were going to switch to the place I was leaving until I explained what happened and they noticed their rate go up.

I don't use this site often, but, I do notice so many inattentive supercharger users just charge on the wrong side. When it's almost near full use, it's hard to know which station is not used. It's hard knowing who was at the site first or where the lines of people waiting in line are located. Just wished people know some etiquette atleast on the correct place to park and charge (facing Koto Steakhouse or Home Depot). It even says it on Plugshare!

I'm glad I don't have that problem since I rarely use the site. My work office is located near there.

Reactions: Fiver
The countdown is on! Would be nice to have this done before next Wednesday. Coming from Minnesota by way of CT (family) to Derby, VT. Or else Berlin detour. '21 M3P with 3 people and luggage.
Plan for it not being there. As fast as this particular contractor is, even if they finish their work by then it will take the utility to deliver a transformer, connect it to the pole, install the meter and then... have Tesla come and re-commission the site.

I'm assuming (hoping) this crew will move up to install St Johnsbury when they are done here?
I wish they'd put one in Wells River. P&H would be a perfect spot for people commuting from parts of northern portion of the Upper Valley in NH to Montpelier. Not everyone can get a decent home charger installed, and 15A/120v is just not enough to fill the battery overnight when it's -18°F in the winter.

Reactions: hcsharp
I'm assuming (hoping) this crew will move up to install St Johnsbury when they are done here?
I wish they'd put one in Wells River. P&H would be a perfect spot for people commuting from parts of northern portion of the Upper Valley in NH to Montpelier. Not everyone can get a decent home charger installed, and 15A/120v is just not enough to fill the battery overnight when it's -18°F in the winter.

The countdown is on! Would be nice to have this done before next Wednesday. Coming from Minnesota by way of CT (family) to Derby, VT. Or else Berlin detour. '21 M3P with 3 people and luggage.
Depending on how much you need to top up, you could potentially stop at the Hannaford's in Bradford, VT. There are some J-1772 L2 chargers, and a 50kW charger with one CHADeMo connector which could be handy if you have an adapter, and one CCS/SAE. If you need a full charge and don't have a CHADeMo adapter, it won't work, but if you need to add ~10% or so to reach your destination, it may save you a detour all the way to Berlin.

Reactions: creid
Plan for it not being there. As fast as this particular contractor is, even if they finish their work by then it will take the utility to deliver a transformer, connect it to the pole, install the meter and then... have Tesla come and re-commission the site.
Apparently the transformer has just been installed w/in the past day or two which is good news. While I'm sure additional work is still needed before anything can be powered back up it now seems possible that at least the original V2 stalls might be on track to come back on line sooner than later - perhaps as early as sometime next week. Tesla probably just needs to return to the site to commission the new V3 stalls - the V2's should probably be ok to turn back on without Tesla given they were up and operational already.

Apparently the transformer has just been installed w/in the past day or two which is good news. While I'm sure additional work is still needed before anything can be powered back up it now seems possible that at least the original V2 stalls might be on track to come back on line sooner than later - perhaps as early as sometime next week. Tesla probably just needs to return to the site to commission the new V3 stalls - the V2's should probably be ok to turn back on without Tesla given they were up and operational already.
Love your insider information. Thanks for all that you do gathering this type of intel.

i stopped by tonight; not many changes other than the transformer. No concrete yet. I don't think any equipment on-site has moved since my last visit.

1.5MW transformer. No meter yet. Feeders installed, pulled through the conduit up the pole, but not connected (you can see them hanging down in the picture). It wouldn't take much to move the remaining supplies from behind stalls 1B-4B and open them back up once the power is reconnected.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.34.01 PM.png