Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Melbourne, FL [Operational]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Well this is exiting for me. I live in this area.

The Avenue Viera in West Melbourne. Lots of shops & restaurants, Brevard County government. Exit 191 off 95 (Best Stop)
Palm Bay road. Shops, restaurants. Exit 176 off 95 (Good Stop)
New Haven Avenue, not much, but a possible stop. Exit 180 off 95 (Bad Stop) <---you don't really want this one

^^^^your best Melbourne stops^^^^

I'll keep a lookout :)

The Avenue Viera in West Melbourne. Lots of shops & restaurants, Brevard County government. Exit 191 off 95 (Best Stop)
New Haven Avenue, not much, but a possible stop. Exit 180 off 95 (Bad Stop) <---you don't really want this one

Hi,

Thanks for the information and welcome to the forum.

It looks like Tesla is planning a Supercharger Station in West Melbourne in the general area where you recommended. Please report back here with photos if you see an construction progress.

If you are interested in joining a Florida Tesla club, please click on the link in my signature to Florida Tesla Enthusiasts.

Larry

Last edited:

Not sure why Exit 180 is a "bad stop" and that nobody should want it.

Far as I can tell, there are numerous restaurants along New Haven Avenue, several hotels and motels and the Melbourne Square Mall.

I understand why you might think Viera is better, but West Melbourne seems like the location given the map (the pin isn't in Viera or Palm Bay...nor is it in Melbourne proper), and along New Haven between 95 and the Mall seems like the obvious choice.

I understand why you might think Viera is better, but West Melbourne seems like the location given the map (the pin isn't in Viera or Palm Bay...nor is it in Melbourne proper), and along New Haven between 95 and the Mall seems like the obvious choice.
Yes, I am pretty sure that the location of the pin on the map is merely tied to the name of the city, in this case West Melbourne. I doubt it is the actual location.

Two possible locations would be Melbourne Square Mall or The Shoppes of West Melbourne which are both off of W New Haven Ave at the same intersection in West Melbourne.

Larry

Not sure why Exit 180 is a "bad stop" and that nobody should want it.

Far as I can tell, there are numerous restaurants along New Haven Avenue, several hotels and motels and the Melbourne Square Mall.

It's not a terrible stop at all. Don't get me wrong. But it does have its downsides compared to the other West Melbourne interstate exits. Mall is a little far from interstate. Traffic lights are plenty heading in that direction. Most restaurants and hotels are spread out making things a little cumbersome. If you like furniture stores, and more furniture stores THIS is your stop :)

Palm Bay road and the Avenue Viera make more sense - less traffic, easy on/off I95, better variety shops & food. And the kicker - those 2 exits are actually considered West Melbourne.

The area can be somewhat confusing, but West Melbourne is pretty big - That shopping district at exit 176 off Palm Bay Rd is actually in West Melbourne And portions of Viera fall within Rockledge, Melbourne & West Melbourne. If you really want to get technical most of New Haven Avenue is NOT West Melbourne & the Melbourne Square mall is NOT in West Melbourne. That's why I got confused when I saw the new map from Tesla. They're being pretty specific with the West Melbourne pin. And the mall is NOT in West Melbourne. So who knows?

I'll check it out tomorrow, I'll be in that area.

It's not a terrible stop at all. Don't get me wrong. But it does have its downsides compared to the other West Melbourne interstate exits. Mall is a little far from interstate. Traffic lights are plenty heading in that direction. Most restaurants and hotels are spread out making things a little cumbersome. If you like furniture stores, and more furniture stores THIS is your stop :)

Palm Bay road and the Avenue Viera make more sense - less traffic, easy on/off I95, better variety shops & food. And the kicker - those 2 exits are actually considered West Melbourne.

The area can be somewhat confusing, but West Melbourne is pretty big - That shopping district at exit 176 off Palm Bay Rd is actually in West Melbourne And portions of Viera fall within Rockledge, Melbourne & West Melbourne. If you really want to get technical most of New Haven Avenue is NOT West Melbourne & the Melbourne Square mall is NOT in West Melbourne. That's why I got confused when I saw the new map from Tesla. They're being pretty specific with the West Melbourne pin. And the mall is NOT in West Melbourne. So who knows?

I'll check it out tomorrow, I'll be in that area.

I disagree. It's only a few miles off the highway and there are literally tons of restaurants around the mall.

And Tesla apparently has either already made their choice or at least announced their preferred location by listing it as West Melbourne and not Viera, Palm Bay or even Melbourne proper.

Which is directly across the street from the Mall.

Yep it is, and I was there yesterday. Very busy - makes no sense.

No way is Tesla putting chargers in there. Parking lot was full. No parking spots available on a Wed afternoon. terrible in and out, parking lot was cramped and narrow. Wife was terrified for the Tesla :) 100% chance of being ice'd.

http://www.westmelbourne.org/DocumentCenter/View/2454 (city limits) <<<------- pick a grey spot.

Take a look at the upper right corner between Dairy road and Evans. That's the Melbourne Square Mall in the light shaded green area. That's not West Melbourne. Never has been & never will be.

At the bottom of the map you'll find Norfolk pkwy. That's the Palm Bay Rd exit.

So the proposal of Viera isn't happening since it's not in West Melbourne?

I didn't suggest the shoppes as a location. As you confirmed, it seemed too small. What i said was the mall/new haven exit seemed equally capable of housing a super charger as the palm bay exit and questioned why no one should want new haven.

I tend to still think the mall is an option - if the Tesla map actually does list the city/neighborhood in which it will be built - as is Hammock Landing.

So the proposal of Viera isn't happening since it's not in West Melbourne?

Viera has no city affiliation - hard to know. The Lexus dealership out here is considered Melbourne, new housing projects to the south are West Melbourne, and my home in Viera is supposedly Rockledge.

Hammock Landing - might be the easiest on/off for traveling Tesla owners.

Melbourne Square mall works for travelers and locals.

How accurate are Tesla pins?

Not at all, until construction starts one cannot know for certain. Even permit applications are not positive because problems in that process can cause location changes. When Tesla puts planned locations on a map they are indications of general area, and in the new ones they often indicate plans to enlarge existing Superchargers. In this case we can only know that they want somewhere between Port St Lucie and St Augustine, probably at/near an I-95 exit with decent food/refreshment options very close.

We know they've marked specific neighborhoods like Wynwood and Brickell instead of Miami proper. And that they indicated West Melbourne instead of Melbourne proper. One can only assume that was intentional. I don't think anyone believes the pin placement is the exact intersection/property that the chargers will be located.

"Viera" is recognized in Google maps' search, fwiw.

We know they've marked specific neighborhoods like Wynwood and Brickell instead of Miami proper. And that they indicated West Melbourne instead of Melbourne proper. One can only assume that was intentional. I don't think anyone believes the pin placement is the exact intersection/property that the chargers will be located.
Yes, I believe that they are differentiating between West Melbourne and Melbourne. As I mentioned in posting #6, the pins are merely attached to the city labels on the map that Tesla is using for their interactive map. In this case they specifically chose the West Melbourne area and the pin is anchored to the center of the West Melbourne label.

Check all of the "Coming Soon" Superchargers and zoom it to each one of them and you will see that every one of them is anchored to the center of the City/Neighborhood label.

Whereas the Mall technically is not in West Melbourne, it literally is only a few hundred yards from West Melbourne. Therefore, with the degree of granularity that Tesla is working with, I would not eliminate it out of hand on that technicality.

I defer to the local folks as to whether the Mall is, or is not, a good location for a Supercharger Station.

Larry

Last edited:
Superchargers are supposed to be for those who are traveling, not necessarily for locals. Just saying........

Model 3 owners are expected to have different demographics than Model S and X owners with a much bigger percentage of these customers living in condos, apartments, or townhomes, etc... These people wont have the ability to install home chargers and will solely rely on Superchargers and L2 public charging. Hence the massive push to expand the charging network ahead of the Model 3 release.

Looks like they decided on West Melbourne so it will probably be at Palm Bay Road.