Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Melbourne, FL [Operational]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I will be traveling to Melbourne Florida in mid July and staying with an ICE family in a condo with no charging capability. Since it looks like the West Melbourne supercharger will not be up and running by then, does anyone have suggestions on the best place to charge in the Melbourne area? I have researched on PlugShare and ChargePoint, but I thought this group might know the best options. Thanks. (I do not have the CHAdeMO adapter)

Hello all. I will be traveling to Melbourne Florida in mid July and staying with an ICE family in a condo with no charging capability. Since it looks like the West Melbourne supercharger will not be up and running by then, does anyone have suggestions on the best place to charge in the Melbourne area? I have researched on PlugShare and ChargePoint, but I thought this group might know the best options. Thanks. (I do not have the CHAdeMO adapter)
If you do not stay at one of the hotels with HPWC or other L2 the Wickham park charger is one that is very pleasant to wander around for a while. It does require a NEMA 14-50 adapter, but it's pretty fast and pleasant anyway. Since there are a couple of locals with CHAdeMO adapters you might hear from one of them. Sadly, my adapter is three hours south of you, but I'd be happy to lend it to you.

If you do not stay at one of the hotels with HPWC or other L2 the Wickham park charger is one that is very pleasant to wander around for a while. It does require a NEMA 14-50 adapter, but it's pretty fast and pleasant anyway. Since there are a couple of locals with CHAdeMO adapters you might hear from one of them. Sadly, my adapter is three hours south of you, but I'd be happy to lend it to you.
Thanks for the quick response!

Hello all. I happened to drive by the Melbourne Mall and it looks like there is some construction going on. Not sure if it has anything to do with a supercharger, but it looks suspicious. I asked one of the workers what they were working on and he said "the parking lot" (not much help lol). Then I asked if it was a supercharger and looked confused and said no. So, maybe it's something else. It looks like they are digging an L shaped strip about 2 or 3 feet deep.
0630170859b.jpg

But as far as location goes versus the Avenue or Hammock landing, the mall is not much harder to get to than the Avenue from 95. And it has plenty of places to eat inside the mall and around the mall. Hammock landing would be good too since it is so close to 95, but it doesn't seem to have as much open parking space as the mall.

Hello all. I happened to drive by the Melbourne Mall and it looks like there is some construction going on. Not sure if it has anything to do with a supercharger, but it looks suspicious. I asked one of the workers what they were working on and he said "the parking lot" (not much help lol). Then I asked if it was a supercharger and looked confused and said no. So, maybe it's something else. It looks like they are digging an L shaped strip about 2 or 3 feet deep.
View attachment 233416

But as far as location goes versus the Avenue or Hammock landing, the mall is not much harder to get to than the Avenue from 95. And it has plenty of places to eat inside the mall and around the mall. Hammock landing would be good too since it is so close to 95, but it doesn't seem to have as much open parking space as the mall.
Hi,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the information.

Would you mind continuing to monitor this work and occasionally provide some additional photos?

Thanks.

Larry

Hi,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the information.

Would you mind continuing to monitor this work and occasionally provide some additional photos?

Thanks.

Larry

Thank you Larry. And yeah it is right on my way to work so I should be able to keep an eye on it. I took another photo from another angle but when I try to upload it it says security error. I tried clearing my cache and signing out and back in. Still can't post it though.

Thank you Larry. And yeah it is right on my way to work so I should be able to keep an eye on it. I took another photo from another angle but when I try to upload it it says security error. I tried clearing my cache and signing out and back in. Still can't post it though.
Try emailing the photo to me at [email protected] and I'll see what I can do to post it.

By the way, if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla Club, please click on the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts link in my signature.

Larry

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the photo. I couldn't upload the original image either. Let's see if a smaller version will work.

Melbourne parking lot.jpg

Well that worked. So far we can't really tell. We will have to see what develops.

Larry

I hope you are wrong, the Melbourne mall is an absolutely horrible place to put a charger. It will take ~40 minutes round trip from the interstate to get here during normal traffic.

I live about 2 miles from this location, so I will check it out every few days as well

I hope you are wrong, the Melbourne mall is an absolutely horrible place to put a charger. It will take ~40 minutes round trip from the interstate to get here during normal traffic.

I live about 2 miles from this location, so I will check it out every few days as well
Thanks. That would be helpful.

Do you have an opinion on the relative pros and cons between Melbourne Square Mall and the Shoppes of West Melbourne in relation to getting to and from I-95? Are they both bad?

By the way, if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla Club, please click on the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts link in my signature.

Larry

Do you have an opinion on the relative pros and cons between Melbourne Square Mall and the Shoppes of West Melbourne in relation to getting to and from I-95? Are they both bad?

Larry

The Shoppes of West Melbourne is right across the street from the Melbourne Mall, so pretty much the same distance. With normal traffic it would take at least 10-15 minutes to get to get to 95 from there. However, it does offer a good variety of food/shops within walking distance from the supercharger. Didn't Elon mention something about lower powered superchargers more for local use? I don't know though because there is a pretty large gap between Daytona and Port St Lucie that this supercharger would be filling, so it would make more sense to have it close to the interstate. We shall see though.

The Shoppes of West Melbourne is right across the street from the Melbourne Mall, so pretty much the same distance. With normal traffic it would take at least 10-15 minutes to get to get to 95 from there. However, it does offer a good variety of food/shops within walking distance from the supercharger. Didn't Elon mention something about lower powered superchargers more for local use? I don't know though because there is a pretty large gap between Daytona and Port St Lucie that this supercharger would be filling, so it would make more sense to have it close to the interstate. We shall see though.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your input.

In general I believe that Superchargers located in shopping centers a few miles from an interstate highway would always be designed for full capacity.

Regarding local Superchargers, I'd have to have Elon's exact statement in front of me to answer with any certainty. However, I could see scaled down installations in say the parking lots of large apartment or condo complexes to handle local residents who have difficulty get approval for home charging equipment. If Tesla is serious about breaking into the Chinese market, this will be a must. And if they do it for China, they'll have to do it at home. For example, in Miami-Dade County, the number one ranking Florida county for plug-in electric vehicles, 47% of all residents live in Multi-Unit Dwellings.

Larry

Larry

The Shoppes of West Melbourne are way better for interstate convience during normal traffic. 192 gets horrible, while the palm bay (shoppes) exit is literally directly on the mall. I would say an honest 15-20 minute exit to charger for Melb Mall, and prob 3-7 for the other.

Foodwise the Shoppes has a better varity, (But they keep adding stuff around melb mall, both are really good imo), but the Shoppes would probably be more of a walk to get to everything.

TODO stuff the Shoppes I find better, but thats a complete wash imho depending on who you ask. I will run by the melbourne Location sometime this week and see if anything is up.

The Shoppes of West Melbourne are way better for interstate convience during normal traffic. 192 gets horrible, while the palm bay (shoppes) exit is literally directly on the mall. I would say an honest 15-20 minute exit to charger for Melb Mall, and prob 3-7 for the other.

Foodwise the Shoppes has a better varity, (But they keep adding stuff around melb mall, both are really good imo), but the Shoppes would probably be more of a walk to get to everything.

TODO stuff the Shoppes I find better, but thats a complete wash imho depending on who you ask. I will run by the melbourne Location sometime this week and see if anything is up.

Are you perhaps thinking of Hammock Landing off Palm Bay Road? When I Google Shoppes of West Melbourne, it shows a little shopping center across the street from the mall. Like where Jason's deli, Joan's, and Chipotle are. But I agree with you. The Palm Bay shops would be much much better for interstate travelers, while I think the mall is probably a bit better for locals. There are tons of businesses and neighborhoods and apartments within just a few minutes of the mall.

I have been checking the mall frequently to see if there has been any other activity. Looks like they have filled in those strips that they dug out with sand. Somewhat similar to this construction site:
supercharger-construction-e1461010029558.jpg

I'll continue to be on the lookout for any activity.

Reactions: alseTrick
Yes I mean the exit south of the 192 exit.

I ran by it Friday and It was filled in, but I dont see ANY electrical anywhere in the surrounding area for the big electrical box thingies to connect to.

It look like they dug out >12 spots to me, but to me it doesnt look like the site prep due to the absolute void of anything electrical. If it is the site we should see wiring coming out of the ground where the footers are for those chargers will be placed? Or do we think that is to come?

Ill swing by it again Tuesday/Friday basically every week

This is where I really hope they are/would have placed them:

Google Maps

Reactions: qadaemon