Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Nyack, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by yesterday. Transformers are in but no lamp poles erected. Getting close!
I don't think you're talking about the right thing. For longer than two months the major site hardware has been in and complete except for the utility transformer (big, dark green box; looks something like this). Is that what you saw? Because that's the transformer people have been commenting/asking about. We know the rest--the switchgear, autotransformers, and supercharger cabinets--has been in.

• Informative
Reactions: JSergeant
BD40369F-EEA8-4CF0-A102-1A1D09BC0E18.jpeg
5C518165-BC0F-4156-8956-7279E8C0DA0C.jpeg
Yes the big green transformers are in. Here are some pics. I felt sorry for a couple in a model 3 parked next to one looking confused. I hope they weren’t near 0

View attachment 383746 View attachment 383747 Yes the big green transformers are in. Here are some pics. I felt sorry for a couple in a model 3 parked next to one looking confused. I hope they weren’t near 0

The transformer pad is installed and visible from the access road and so you would have seen the transformer mounted there when you drove by. Everything in the photos was there back when I posted over 2 months ago now.

• Helpful
Reactions: mociaf9
Stopped by myself today and it’s in exactly the same state it’s been in for many weeks. Everything but the transformer, which is still missing.

I do notice that there is significantly broken pavement in front of one of the end spots. I hope the mall patches the holes and doesn’t make us have to back over them to use that stall.

I got hold of Jonathan at utility co- O&R, he’s the new project manager, basically told me the same thing as in two months ago. The contractor rushed through the cabinet installation without having approval on the gas line that they back filled (asphalt). Safety issue there. Comes the good news part:

Tesla was able to get O&R to use the alternative method to check the safety on the section where the contractor already filled with black asphalt to inspect how close the lines to the surface. It’s a Radar mapping line locator...Amen! Jon said this will take 2-3 weeks to complete. Then, if it’s all good, they will order the correct transformer unit to install. We are looking possibly end of summer, no definite date yet. That’s a step forward for all of us who are hawking over on these chargers.

If they have the all clear in 2/3 weeks to install the transformer shouldn’t they be up and running maybe a month or so later? Why 4/5 months?
Utility transformers of this size/type don't grow on trees. ;) Nor are they kept on hand in the local hardware store or electrical supply depot. It might not be delivered until 3+ months after ordering it. And the scheduling of the local utility work crews to then install and connect it is also a logistical constraint.

• Informative
Reactions: CraZ8 and lensovet
I think the fact that this SCer location appeared out of nowhere nearly fully formed threw us all off. while it looked "cosmetically" ready, there seems to be a safety issue that needs to be solved before things will be a go. I hope it won't take months.. but at this point, it looks like we have no point but to wait.

for my part, I happen to live on the east side of the Hudson, so Tarrytown SCer works just as well for me on my way up to -- or home from -- Nyack and other points on the west side of the Hudson. I only wish Tarrytown gave me better SCer speeds, but it is minor complaint.

Tarrytown remains my go to SCer for "Sunday drives" tho lately I find myself in Brooklyn more often than not. I suspect this might change, once Spring time comes in full swing.. but that's still a few weeks away.

The Tarrytown superchargers went live within days of completed work on the stalls, chargers and cabinets. Transformer over there is about 25 feet away from the chargers. The West Nyack Palisades Mall supercharger on the other hand is dragging big time. The designated transformer spot remains empty and hasn't changed in months. Thank you to those checking up on the utility and mall personnel.

• Informative
Reactions: chateauoaks
I happen to live on the east side of the Hudson, so Tarrytown SCer works just as well for me on my way up to -- or home from -- Nyack and other points on the west side of the Hudson. I only wish Tarrytown gave me better SCer speeds, but it is minor complaint.

Tarrytown remains my go to SCer for "Sunday drives"

I’m the opposite - I’m in Nyack and, while I like the Tarrytown site and having a nice restroom and Starbucks right there, I would love not having to pay the bridge toll or having to drive down to Paramus where I lose 7-8% charge just getting back home. Really looking forward to West Nyack but looks like we have another 5 months. That will make it 9 months from its first appearance to completion. Wonder if that’s a record?