Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Yellowstone, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pics or it doesn't exist!
According to the Discovery Centre staff, we're the first.
-I&W
tmp_25165-IMG_20160526_102409-2079471532.jpg
tmp_25165-IMG_20160526_1025411013624996.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but this looks to me to be the first Supercharger sited to serve a National Park Service site. I.E., it's poorly located to serve long-distance traffic well, like most Superchargers. The upcoming Groveland CA site will be a gift for those who visit Yosemite, but that one is still to come.

I think that's extremely cool.

If I had the ear of the Supercharger team, I'd make a case for Supercharging the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive and for the Natchez Trace Parkway, both of which would be a blast in a Tesla.

Reactions: GSP and goneskiian
How about Moab UT and Arches National Park?

Good point; I thought about Moab — been there myself, it's lovely country, everybody should visit — but as it's on the first transcontinental Supercharger route, serving to link I-40 and I-70, I counted it as a long-distance SC. Having said that, now that the coast-to-coast map is much more filled-in, Moab could be said to be a Supercharger in support of Arches and Canyonlands.

I'm not 100% sure, but this looks to me to be the first Supercharger sited to serve a National Park Service site. I.E., it's poorly located to serve long-distance traffic well, like most Superchargers. The upcoming Groveland CA site will be a gift for those who visit Yosemite, but that one is still to come.

If I had the ear of the Supercharger team, I'd make a case for Supercharging the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive and for the Natchez Trace Parkway, both of which would be a blast in a Tesla.
and not a Supercharger, but Crater Lake does have a Tesla destination charger connection (80A).

and not a Supercharger, but Crater Lake does have a Tesla destination charger connection (80A).

Aww man :(
Looks like that went in at the tail end of last year. I was looking for a way to get to Crater Lake on our trip last year and that could have worked.
Oh well, looks like I'll have to come back out now to get this one, Yellowstone and Groveland! :)

A Chademo adapter opens up the entire Oregon coast. And Crater Lake.

And anyone who's driven cross country knows that I-10 is far from finished. In fact, they're almost 2 years behind their own schedule in that regard. See the Great Supercharger Wasteland between Tucson and San Antonio. They built I-10 for a reason - it's the only route for which chains are not required for RWD vehicles year-round.

Reactions: GSP

The site being there _now_ is because of the National Park, but otherwise it's a location that's necessary for other long-distance travel. Idaho Falls, ID to Bozeman, MT is 200 miles on a route through West Yellowstone, and visiting the Supercharger is a 1.2 mile diversion.

But really, parks and ski resorts are places to which people take long journeys, so we should expect that Tesla's network connects to them. However, Tesla will always be trying to help build the whole network where it can, and the current priority will enabling access to destinations, rather than journeys, so I don't think they'd be interested in those scenic drives right now.

Hoping to finally see Montana. Would love to get to Calgary from West Yellowstone - then to the west coast and back down to the continental US. Part of next summer's dream trip.
Last summer we drove Canada 1 to Banff then back to Golden SC then overnight in Ferney (municipal charging). Down through Glacier park stayed at RV park West Glacier then Missoula SC , Butte, Bozeman and West Yellowstone. Jackson, Tremonton then I80 back to California.
Great trip.

Reactions: goneskiian
Hoping to finally see Montana. Would love to get to Calgary from West Yellowstone - then to the west coast and back down to the continental US. Part of next summer's dream trip.
I did this drive last year. Wonderful trip - even put Cuba into the middle (you travel as a Canadian, so the rules of visitation are different). But I'm endorsing the desirability of the trip.....I did not travel with an EV, but an ICE, so cannot address the charging stations. Grab your camera, bring binoculars and a bird book, bring your sense of wonder and enjoy the drive.

Reactions: goneskiian
Vernon?

Had a friend in college from Fernie and he always joked that when he told people he was from Fernie they'd always ask "Vernon?" Haha! :rolleyes::p;)

There is some seriously great skiing in Fernie. Actually all over Southern Alberta and BC! Would love to do a winter tour and hit up all the great little ski areas in those 2 provinces. Have only been to a couple of them.