Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Yellowstone, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can one tell if a particular SC location is down? I have tried to see if West Yellowstone is still down but have been unable to see it's status. I have used the the Find Us on the Tesla site and Supercharge info. I also tried to find the info in the car.
The pin for the relatively rare 'Temporarily Closed' and 'Reduced Service' have a subtle symbol present, as opposed to the small lightning bolt that predominates. Take a minute, each day, as you start your car, or park it, to scan the country. I find the contrast before the map tiles fully propagate helps to make the 'odd' pins stand out.

Reactions: Rossy
We had an interesting experience coming back east from vacation in Utah. A black S90 kept pace with us on i-70 through Colorado and Kansas. We drove at steady 75 mph. The other car would scream past us doing at least 90.

At the next SC, he would be charging when we pulled up, and still charging when we unplugged 20 min later and resumed our trip.

Then, after a while on the road, he would come screaming past again.

At the next SC, he would be charging as we pulled up, still charging when we left, and the scenario repeated.
Honestly I'd rather walk around then drive. Getting to the next place and plugging in so I can move a bit takes priority over time spent charging.

@ Big and Toad, I don't have the tech package so no in car nav, I assume both of you must have the in car nav.
Yes on NAV--in your case, I'd just call Tesla and ask for a status update. I vaguely remember waiting for an out of commission SC to go live on my most recent trip and I called--actually I remember, now--there was a vital stop that was down for parking lot repainting and I was told that it would be open at 8am the next day. So naturally, I went at 3 AM and went under all the police tape since the paint was dry. On second thought, it wasn't vital, just needed to plug in for 5 minutes to add it to my list:)

@ Big and Toad, I don't have the tech package so no in car nav, I assume both of you must have the in car nav.
They haven't given you old-timers free nav yet? Seems like they should just enable it for the "end of range anxiety" that the energy planner gives, and nowadays supercharger status. Unless of course you don't actually have a GPS receiver in your car at all. I haven't followed the excruciating details of Tesla for that long (back when tech package was a thing and I played with the design studio, I always checked the box, cause I would consider it an essential feature).

I always thought there was something different in the CID that enabled the NAV. I don't know if it is GPS, SD card for maps storage, or something else.

I know I saw someone say that they just had to pay, $2,700, to replace their failed CID, and they gained NAV as part of that...

• Informative
Reactions: ccutrer and Fiver
Yes on NAV--in your case, I'd just call Tesla and ask for a status update. I vaguely remember waiting for an out of commission SC to go live on my most recent trip and I called--actually I remember, now--there was a vital stop that was down for parking lot repainting and I was told that it would be open at 8am the next day. So naturally, I went at 3 AM and went under all the police tape since the paint was dry. On second thought, it wasn't vital, just needed to plug in for 5 minutes to add it to my list:)
You might be one of the few people that understands why the West Yellowstone closure was so upsetting to me :)

Reactions: Fiver
You might be one of the few people that understands why the West Yellowstone closure was so upsetting to me :)

I can introduce you to some others if it would help:)
I need to update my list after the last trip. There was a point when I realized I hadn't taken pictures at all of them and had to take a few deep breaths. Maybe I'll just go back! :p

Then again, maybe I'm just not "one of you". o_O:confused:;)

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
I need to update my list after the last trip. There was a point when I realized I hadn't taken pictures at all of them and had to take a few deep breaths. Maybe I'll just go back! :p

Then again, maybe I'm just not "one of you". o_O:confused:;)

I took a picture when I took first place last summer (Kelowna, BC) then another at #300 (Kingsland, GA) and again at #350 (Dows, IA). I could be totally making this list up as I've been accused by someone who said it was impossible to drive 1000 miles in a day:) I can prove three at least! Wait though, we also have a picture of NKYTA tying me at Gillette, WY and taking the lead at my home charger, Sheridan, WY, so 5.

I took a picture when I took first place last summer (Kelowna, BC) then another at #300 (Kingsland, GA) and again at #350 (Dows, IA). I could be totally making this list up as I've been accused by someone who said it was impossible to drive 1000 miles in a day:) I can prove three at least! Wait though, we also have a picture of NKYTA tying me at Gillette, WY and taking the lead at my home charger, Sheridan, WY, so 5.
We'd love if you'd get a quad and start taking photos of your stops. Not for proof, just for visual aid in our Aerial Supercharger thread..

......we also have a picture of NKYTA tying me at Gillette, WY and taking the lead at my home charger, Sheridan, WY, so 5.
I can vouch for Gillette or maybe it was Sheridan, they're starting to run together. The place was full up after the Custer Tesla rally and you graciously unplugged for me on my return back to WA State. Thanks for helping out. This was the only place I've had the red ring fault happen when trying to charge. After rebooting, all was fine.

I can vouch for Gillette or maybe it was Sheridan, they're starting to run together. The place was full up after the Custer Tesla rally and you graciously unplugged for me on my return back to WA State. Thanks for helping out. This was the only place I've had the red ring fault happen when trying to charge. After rebooting, all was fine.
Yep, Sheridan--less than a mile from my office. That was NKYTA's car, but you can imagine I've plugged in there before. Solely for research purposes, of course:)

We'd love if you'd get a quad and start taking photos of your stops. Not for proof, just for visual aid in our Aerial Supercharger thread..
You evil, evil man. I was disappointed when I got back from tidying up my New England chargers earlier this summer to find construction on a new New Milford station. And Danbury and Leomister have since popped up so besides the reason to go back I'd now have a functional reason to revisit old stops if I got a quad. Birthday present idea! :)

• Funny
Reactions: taldric and ohmman
I will be out that way in the next two weeks and I was trying to determine status. I telephoned the Tesla team and was told that the supercharger was in "reduced operational status." When I asked for more details, all they would tell me is that a few stalls appear to be functioning correctly and the others are at a reduced capability ---- but he couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what "reduced" meant. Nor would he provide any estimate of when the site would be fully functional.

It looks like @Bighorn hit the supercharger at the exact right time! (Hey --- you didn't consume all the electrons, did you????? :) )

Reactions: Rossy and Bighorn
Used 3A and 4B the last two days. No problems with either one. It has been a little lonely, though. I don't think I've seen another Tesla since Ritzville, WA.
20170827_200753.jpg

Reactions: Rossy and KJD