Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Westminster, CA (LIVE 22 Dec 2018, 24 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
Saw a sign at the Fountain Valley SC yesterday saying that they will be opening one in Anaheim and the 91, and one in Westminster this winter.
I was just at the Fountain Valley, CA supercharger and there was a sign pointing to "New Superchargers soon!" coming to Anaheim and Westminster. I really hope they can bring them to us as FV was already bad as is.

I also hope they are Urban Superchargers instead as well........I really enjoy the predictable max charge rate.

So, having just read these 2 posts saying that a Westminster SC was advertised as coming soon, and seeing that on Tesla's map Westminster, CA has "Target opening in Fall 2018", I decided to search for any building permits that might be public. Unfortunately, Westminster doesn't have any online access or listings of approved permits. So I called and spoke to some people in the city building department. Result:

~20 stall Tesla Supercharger already well under construction at the Westminster Mall (1025 Westminster Mall, Westminster, CA 92683). Specifically in the parking lot "by Target in the south of the mall." My guess is that it is probably in the smaller, separated sub-lot that fronts on Bolsa Ave. due south of Target, between Outback Steakhouse and the banks (see attached pic), but someone local will have to go scouting to confirm the exact location and number of stalls. Interestingly, this mall/location is just 1 exit north on the 405 from the permitted Huntington Beach location at Bella Terra (~1.5 miles apart). And only ~5.5 miles northwest of the currently open/operating Fountain Valley supercharger. Hopefully it'll ease a bit of congestion.

The people I spoke to in the building department weren't exactly sure about the number of stalls, but said "about 20." When I asked about the state of construction, I was told that they had passed/completed most of the inspections and that much/most of the construction was already finished but that there would be at least 1 more inspection as there were some things left to be done (included was re-striping/painting the parking lot). Though I didn't directly ask, they volunteered that they don't make predictions/guesses about timelines for when a project would be open and suggested I contact Tesla for that sort of information.

From what was said, it sounded like maybe either the charging posts themselves or some of the back-end hardware hadn't been installed yet. I wasn't totally sure about which specific equipment they were talking about, though. So, for anyone who goes scouting for the install site, you may not see the iconic Tesla posts we look for when searching for the superchargers so be sure to also look for other signs of recent construction or more subtle indications of incoming superchargers like conduit sticking up or the pedestals in the ground, etc.

NOTE: My "Oct/Nov" note in the title is a bit of a guess, as I don't know exactly when it started. Bld. dept. said that the install had "moved fast". Not sure about the proper title format, so @ecarfan or other moderators feel free to adjust as necessary.

Attachments

• Westminster Mall SuperCharger_exact location guess.jpg
    Westminster Mall SuperCharger_exact location guess.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 294
Stopped by this morning. The site is on the western side of the area that Mociaf9 mapped out. Looks like 23 stalls, with 16 urban chargers already in place facing the Target store, and seven more yet to be installed facing the access road. I talked to a worker who said that construction had gone very smoothly and the site would be open "soon," but he did not want to get more specific. This is a great location, just a couple minutes off the 405, although Westminster Mall itself is NOT doing well. View media item 119109View media item 119108View media item 119107

That’s good news for commuters in every direction, and the LA/SFV <—> SD corridor in particular. And maybe that mall gets a few bucks of financial support as a result, which it sorely needs.

Now, in a perfect world, that construction crew will hit Torrance next before Christmas, if not HB.

I’ll make a note to see if there’s any Torrance permit info online over the long weekend.

Hope springs eternal, after all.

Reactions: Jivas and Maaz
Awesome find! Thanks for calling them and finding out. I traverse the 405 from Costa Mesa to Long Beach so any stations along the way are great to have. I have a 10 mile "radius" of stations from me (Redondo, Hawthorne, Downey, Downey2) which means I have to go out of my way to go there.

FV is great for the way home but soooo crowded and unpredictable. This Westminster and upcoming HB location should help out a lot. This location would prob get less "abused" in the sense that Costco is not nearby. The mall is meh and I'd go just for a walk, but nothing serious. I guess I'd frequent Target.

This Westminster and upcoming HB location should help out a lot. This location would prob get less "abused" in the sense that Costco is not nearby. The mall is meh and I'd go just for a walk, but nothing serious. I guess I'd frequent Target.

Definitely give Target some Tesla owner love. They are really helping out with the buildout and deserve our business.

Reactions: Jivas
Man, this would have been a good spot for 40 stalls. Oh well.
Yeah. I've seen previous installs where Tesla has in their lease agreement for the stalls that if/when they hit a certain defined threshold of charging activity (X charging sessions/month for Y consecutive months), that they are allowed to expand. So, it's still possible that this site will get bigger. But, given the congestion already on the corridor and the rapidly increasing number of Teslas being sold in the region, I would expect them to go as big as possible right from the get go even though they're also going to be putting in another big lot of them just 1 freeway exit down the 405.

Putting the SC here makes a lot more sense than the Huntington Beach SC at Bella Terra from a business perspective. This mall has been dying with very little foot traffic. My office is about a block away as well.

After seeing how lively the Santa Ana Westfield mall became after they installed the SC (it use to feel dead before them), I feel its a great way for malls to bring traffic back to the business (until SC become ubiquitous).

Reactions: Doug Martoccia