Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Westminster, CA (LIVE 22 Dec 2018, 24 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having charged here a couple of times now the site is kind of awkward. I love the 6 spots where you back in, but the pull in spots seemed to be narrow for most people to be comfortable with the turn.

Saw a few people ride over the curb while trying to line up to pull in head first.

This is a great spot though.......opened right in time and I saw it full once during the weekend on the MCU. Great relief for people who in the area because you no longer have to wait at FV.

Reactions: ericbs
Sorry for the misunderstanding... in the last 2 days.
F712AD51-BAAA-4467-A0BD-B46F329816A4.jpeg

So you are showing a screen capture from an app or web page that I don’t recognize which states that the Westminister Supercharger is “Coming Soon”. It is in error. Your post is not about the Westminister Supercharger, it’s about an error in an app but you don’t identify the app in your post.

I am going to assume that you are referring to PlugShare, based on your username. The US version of PlugShare correctly shows the Westminister Supercharger as operational.
Sorry for the misunderstanding... in the last 2 days.View attachment 363743

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and MarcoRP
Yes, great relief. Now you can wait at Westminster instead of Fountain Valley.

:)

At least there is space for a queue to form, parking spaces nearby to watch the spots from and no Costco. This should limit people from that bad behavior like in FV. The one entry point was always a pain point and people eating at the nearby Souplantation always parked in the unmarked spots.

At this site so far, it was just busy due to the holiday season. Looking forward to seeing it on a normal day to day basis where it might be busy, but I doubt we will be waiting as long as we would in FV.

They are definitely building towards where I live though......up next, Lakewood and Long Beach.

Okay, was pulling out of the Supercharger over here, and then about to drive off when this happens. Poor Tesla driving the wrong way, highly likely severely curb-rashed. :( Navigating is a bit confusing, because both entrances to this area are bi-directional traffic, but logic states given the width of this pathway and the way all the parking spots are slanted, that it is a one-way traffic pathway.

• Funny
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
I drove near the SC with my Volt yesterday and was going to find the Volta chargers at the mall since there were 4. Imagine my surprise when I found a White Model 3 there instead of "paying" for charging at the SuperCharger.

It was bound to happen with that level of increase, but I support Tesla in making enough revenue to expand the network as best they can (and also deter people from using superchargers exclusively).

I drove near the SC with my Volt yesterday and was going to find the Volta chargers at the mall since there were 4. Imagine my surprise when I found a White Model 3 there instead of "paying" for charging at the SuperCharger.

It was bound to happen with that level of increase, but I support Tesla in making enough revenue to expand the network as best they can (and also deter people from using superchargers exclusively).
Remember that it isn't necessarily avoiding paying for a charge. For people who plan to be in the mall for longer than 45 min. to an hour, plugging into the superchargers means having to walk all the way back to move your car then all the way back to the mall to continue with your shopping/etc. Which is pretty inconvenient. Superchargers are great for charging during a quick meal or while doing your weekly grocery shopping, but aren't necessarily a good fit for leisurely mall shopping on a Sunday. L2 is better for that.

Regardless, finding someone using a rarer charger that your car can use instead of the more plentiful ones that you're locked out of but they aren't is always going to be a frustrating experience. At least they were actually charging instead of just treating it like an EV parking spot.

I just charged. Most of the slots were empty around 8 AM on Sunday. I pulled in with a 50% charge. The charging rate was max of 35 kW. I was expecting more like 70. Not sure if this particular charger had an issue. The charging would go up and down between 10 and 35 kW. I don't know why it was doing that either. So the charge was slow. My first time at the location.

Last edited:
I just charged. Most of the slots were empty around 8 AM on Sunday. I pulled in with a 50% charge. The charging rate was max of 35 kW. I was expecting more like 70. Not sure if this particular charger had an issue. The charging would go up and down between 10 and 35 kW. I don't know why it was doing that either. So the charge was slow. My first time at the location.
If that happened to me I would disconnect and reconnect to the same stall. If it continued, I would move to a different stall.

Reactions: PLUS EV and mociaf9
If that happened to me I would disconnect and reconnect to the same stall. If it continued, I would move to a different stall.
I've done that in the past. This time I did not bother since I had time. But this was my first experience with the low powered supercharger, so I did not really know if it should act like a 120 kW charger with just a lower limit.