Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wheatland, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Because quote.

@BuildingCap posted in Wyoming Superchargers that (and I quote)

BuildingCap said:
just got word from my Tesla OA that they are just starting to break ground on the Wheatland supercharger.

Would still need more Superchargers to the North to take it to the end in Buffalo, WY and bridge the gap to Sheridan, WY, but it's a start on the completing the northern end of I-25.

Reactions: KJD
I have been chatting with the Wheatland town planner over email about the planned supercharger. In his most recent email he stated:

"I can tell you it will be in the parking lot of the Heartland Inn and Suites motel which is located at 1556 Sherard Dr. here in Wheatland. They do intend on building really soon, we're just waiting on some legal paperwork to make sure the town can bury some electric cable."

I talked to the hotel GM when I stopped by the site this morning. No construction yet though they had been slated to break ground in September. The hotel owner drives a Tesla so is very motivated, but there's no hard start date. The 8 stalls will go between the hotel and the liquor store to the north.

• Funny
Reactions: WFrank
Thanks for the update. My OA said he'd spoken to the supercharger team, but could have exaggerated a bit since this was one of my considerations of whether to buy this year or not. Said it would "definitely" be operational by December...

Reactions: KJD
Thanks for the update. My OA said he'd spoken to the supercharger team, but could have exaggerated a bit since this was one of my considerations of whether to buy this year or not. Said it would "definitely" be operational by December...
I asked the GM if they'd heard any word about a Casper location, but they'd not. I used the Evansville 70A charger last night in order to get to the Rawlins and Laramie superchargers today. Are you aware of anything coming up in your neighborhood?

I used the Evansville 70A charger last night in order to get to the Rawlins and Laramie superchargers today. Are you aware of anything coming up in your neighborhood?

Do you mean you stayed overnight at the Hilton or just plugged in for a while?

So I was told the people planning all this at Tesla that they wanted to put more destination chargers in the general area this year and was looking for willing partners. I know Hat Six applied for a supercharger after I talked to them about it. My OA said they were already talking to the mall about the supercharger in Casper, but nothing was going to happen there until 2018.

Question: what app or website do you find best identifies the most lower level chargers in Wyoming?
I know about the old Casper 70A HPWCs from a longtime personal relationship. I've only felt comfortable sharing those details through PMs, though they've largely been usurped by regional Superchargers. @pox is the real expert on Level 2 WY chargers out of necessity. It's probably been two years since I've used a Level 2 before this weekend.

If I were looking, I'd try plugshare.

• Informative
Reactions: BuildingCap
From the most recent check-in (April 7th) on Plugshare at the Heartland Inn and Suites it looks like there are 4x 8kW destination chargers but still no Superchargers: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Edit: On the Heartland Inn and Suites Facebook page they have two photos of what appears to be construction progress. Mirror copy below for people that cannot access the Facebook page:

29598052_373838623095312_5182786155799626770_n.jpg

29683253_373838613095313_2653295170687703251_n.jpg

Last edited:
It is indeed 8 stalls. 1 pull-in, 7 back-in. Still needs a lot of work, but at least one truck from the construction company was on sight in the middle of the night so presumably the guys working on it are staying at the hotel right now (and thus actively working on it). It's Osborne (sp?) Construction with a NW Kansas area code.

One crappy night time pic to come in my next post...

Reactions: Bighorn