TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Wichita Falls, TX (maybe ?)

Discussion in 'Texas' started by radrays, Oct 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. radrays

radrays Member

Wichita Falls City Planning has been contacted by Tesla, but Tesla has not decided / pulled a permit for install location. Guess there are three or four locations they are looking at for Superchargers in the area.

My guess is Flying J at 287 and Old Jacksboro Highway. 24 hr bathrooms, in store Wendy's, easy access to 287. Similar to the site in Childress.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Flying+J/@33.8903262,-98.485491,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8652df89d4aaaba7:0x3816b4acdec544aa!8m2!3d33.8903262!4d-98.4833023

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

As we expected when Childress was opened-- it only makes sense if Wichita Falls also has a supercharger. Using US287 will be a great time saver heading to I-40 west from Austin, San Antonio, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Houston. It's the hypotenuse of the triangle instead of having to drive all the way north to Oklahoma City on I-35 and turning left.

• Like x 2
  3. Beryl

Beryl Member

Our ICE trips to Denver/Houston back in the day used to be via 287 stopping in Wichita Falls. Maybe that will be an option again.

4. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

Any update on this? Been a month.

5. HillCountryFun

It's gotta be there somewhere!! ;)

6. radrays

radrays Member

Checked in with Wichita Falls City Planning today. Still no news from Tesla on placement of a Supercharger in Wichita Falls. Hoping for 1Q of 2017.

• Informative x 2
  7. larmor

larmor Active Member

Any news on SC for Wichita Falls-- need to know for planning a road trip. Says late 2017.

8. radrays

radrays Member

No news from Wichita Falls. Guessing the first location fell through.

Consider stopping overnight at Hampton Inn in Vernon, TX. They have a single 8kW Wall Charger.

• Informative x 1
  9. reddy

reddy Member

I had no problem going from Childress to Denton in October with an S 85. I did a full charge at Childress, kept my speed under control, and did occasional drafting when the opportunity presented.

On the return trip, I have stopped at Hampton Inn in Vernon overnight once, as Rad Rays suggested, but that was before Childress came online. It's a well kept, quiet hotel with both Tesla and GE J1772 chargers located at the far end of the parking lot so you won't get ICEd.

I've also done the return to Amarillo from Dallas via Ardmore, OK. Yes, it's a little out of the way, but Ardmore to Childress is a lot more doable than Denton to Childress, and I only charged to 95% at Ardmore. The US highways from Ardmore to Vernon are in good shape, and it was a nice drive even at night. Coming from Dallas, I didn't need to stop at Denton at all, so the total time was not that long. Ardmore has the InterUrban restaurant to grab food as well.

Another plan would be to charge to 100% at Denton, stop at the Vernon Hampton Inn for an hour or so while grabbing food at the nearby McDonalds or KFC, then proceed to Childress.

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1