Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Henrietta, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any update on this? Driving Denver > Fort Worth in mid September, hoping this is online, but doubtful.
There's no sign of permit or construction. The odds of this supercharger being open by mid-September is <1%. The only reason I'm not saying 0% is because it's rural enough that there is some chance that it's under construction right now and no Tesla owner has noticed.

There's no sign of permit or construction. The odds of this supercharger being open by mid-September is <1%. The only reason I'm not saying 0% is because it's rural enough that there is some chance that it's under construction right now and no Tesla owner has noticed.

Is it possible to get from Denton to Childress with a 75D?

PlugShare shows a J1772 charger at the Nissan of Wichita Falls. Would like to avoid if possible.

Is it possible to get from Denton to Childress with a 75D?

PlugShare shows a J1772 charger at the Nissan of Wichita Falls. Would like to avoid if possible.

Possible? I’d say very unlikely. I have a first hand report from a P85+ owner who tried and failed. He had to stop at an RV Park in Vernon to make it. There’s a 1200 foot elevation change and strong cross winds that eat into your range.

Eastward travel is easier. I’ve done that using 227 range miles in an 85D. I’ve never tried the westward traverse myself.

Possible? I’d say very unlikely. I have a first hand report from a P85+ owner who tried and failed. He had to stop at an RV Park in Vernon to make it. There’s a 1200 foot elevation change and strong cross winds that eat into your range.

Eastward travel is easier. I’ve done that using 227 range miles in an 85D. I’ve never tried the westward traverse myself.
He did say he was driving from Denver to Fort Worth. I agree that it's much more likely to work in that direction than the other.

And didn't we just have this conversation up thread? As stated previously, the bigger issue is the Trinidad to Amarillo leg. It's 18 miles longer and has a much bigger elevation change.

In a S75D, I'd say you could try the direct route from Denver to Dallas if you are driving solo, don't mind driving slow and are up for an adventure. But I would never attempt it in the other direction.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
He did say he was driving from Denver to Fort Worth. I agree that it's much more likely to work in that direction than the other.

And didn't we just have this conversation up thread? As stated previously, the bigger issue is the Trinidad to Amarillo leg. It's 18 miles longer and has a much bigger elevation change.

In a S75D, I'd say you could try the direct route from Denver to Dallas if you are driving solo, don't mind driving slow and are up for an adventure. But I would never attempt it in the other direction.
Going Denver to Fort Worth, but then back. I'm actually going to go from Trinidad to Dumas and charge at a hotel with a destination charger overnight. I was planning to go back the same route but am worried about the trip back starting from either Denton or Southlake.

Based on the responses here, it's looking more and more likely that I will stop in Wichita Falls and hope I can charge at the Nissan J1772.

Going Denver to Fort Worth, but then back. I'm actually going to go from Trinidad to Dumas and charge at a hotel with a destination charger overnight. I was planning to go back the same route but am worried about the trip back starting from either Denton or Southlake.

Based on the responses here, it's looking more and more likely that I will stop in Wichita Falls and hope I can charge at the Nissan J1772.
I personally would never PLAN on charging at a Nissan dealer in a Tesla. First, there is no guarantee you can get to the charging station, as they often park cars there and the lots are usually blocked off at night and on Sundays. Then you have to worry about whether they will even allow a non-Nissan to charge.

On a windless day driving between 65 and 70 mph, you should be able to make that trip. Wind is the big determining factor here. My first choice would be to drive it if the wind is favorable, or route through Cisco if it is not. It is a couple of hours longer, but much better than going through OKC.

On the way back I would just go to Salina, KS and then west on I-70. It's about an hour more driving, but you have superchargers the whole way and you don't have to sweat any of these variables. Besides, isn't going back the exact same way kind of boring?

On the way back I would just go to Salina, KS and then west on I-70. It's about an hour more driving, but you have superchargers the whole way and you don't have to sweat any of these variables. Besides, isn't going back the exact same way kind of boring?
Thanks guys, I’m going to take your advice and go through Kansas. I don’t want to risk anything.

Next time I travel down, the Clayton and Wichita Falls chargers should be built up and I’ll gladly take the route!

I visit Wichita Falls a few times a week, I would like to see a supercharger there. The "best" location I see for them to put one in would be somewhere like:

1408 14th St, Wichita Falls, Texas

(no I do not own the property, it is for sale). It used to be the bus station. It is between 2 fast food restaurants, and close to a third (block and a half) A convenience store is also close. But, it is right at the intersection of all the main highways - end of I44, exit on 287, and the branch off point of US 82. So, convenient to travel OKC to Abilene, or DFW to Amarillo.

Reactions: redi
5E49FA95-A907-406A-8675-6A88212E0C02.png
Since we’re speculating on locations, I’d vote for the Cracker Barrel at 2400 Sierra Dr. That’s the intersection of I-44 and US 287, two major thoroughfares. Cracker Barrel is EV friendly and has a number of locations around Texas that have Chademo charging on site. I do not know if they own their property, someone would have to ask. Also, they are adjacent to a Walmart and Walmart has started becoming EV friendly too.

Update: made it from Trinidad, CO to Amarillo with 31 miles left on my P85. The Amarillo to Denton leg brought me in with 23 miles left on the battery. Kept it under 62 mph the whole way, with low winds. If they can land a Supercharger at Wichita Falls and another one in Clayton, NM the trip would be 75 mph with no sweat.

Update: made it from Trinidad, CO to Amarillo with 31 miles left on my P85. The Amarillo to Denton leg brought me in with 23 miles left on the battery. Kept it under 62 mph the whole way, with low winds. If they can land a Supercharger at Wichita Falls and another one in Clayton, NM the trip would be 75 mph with no sweat.
Had you done this in the other direction, the elevation changes alone would cost you roughly 52 Rated Miles on the Amarillo/Trinidad leg and 24 Rated Miles on the Childress/Denton leg (I assume you meant Childress and not Amarillo to Denton here). Keep in mind, the prevailing winds are usually working against you in that direction as well. Also, most times of year will be cooler and thus get worse mileage than you experienced just now. So the other direction is damn near impossible in your car. You'd probably have to slow down to 40mph or something ridiculous to make it from Amarillo to Trinidad.

Had you done this in the other direction, the elevation changes alone would cost you roughly 52 Rated Miles on the Amarillo/Trinidad leg and 24 Rated Miles on the Childress/Denton leg (I assume you meant Childress and not Amarillo to Denton here). Keep in mind, the prevailing winds are usually working against you in that direction as well. Also, most times of year will be cooler and thus get worse mileage than you experienced just now. So the other direction is damn near impossible in your car. You'd probably have to slow down to 40mph or something ridiculous to make it from Amarillo to Trinidad.

Here are my stats on the other direction, Amarillo to Trinidad, in an S85. I used the free RV park in Dalhart for a boost. It's doable.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
Not to belabor the Trinidad --> Amarillo --> Trinidad discussion but I've also made this trip in both directions a few times in both my Model S P85D and Model S 90D. I agree with the points @PLUS EV & @reddy made and will also add that it's trickier than it might obviously appear on the northbound trip (Amarillo to Trinidad) due to the fact you have to cross Raton Pass very close to the end of the journey.

Amarillo, TX elevation = 3,605'
Trinidad, CO elevation = 6,010'

So while it appears you only have to overcome a 2,400' elevation gain, in fact you need enough energy to go from elevation 3,605' (Amarillo) to elevation 7,835' (Raton Pass). Once you cross Raton Pass, it's all downhill into Trinidad and you actually gain energy for the last 12 miles of the trip but you need enough energy near the very end of the trip to make it over and across Raton Pass.

Bottom line, if you're going to make this trip in an 85 or 90 you need to start out slow from Amarillo, watch the prevailing winds and adjust for them and probably consider another route (or plan on charging in Dalhart along the way) if it is very cold in the dead of winter.

Mike