Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wickenburg, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, ZBB:

* There is the existing new bypass (3 yrs or so old now), that skirts Rte 89 & 93 traffic just away from the heart of downtown - but all that PHX-LV and -Prescott traffic still passes through 100% of the fast food strip,

and there is the hypothetical Interstate bypass that ZBB mentions, and that would completely isolate the entire community from all thru-traffic.

Right, ZBB:

* There is the existing new bypass (3 yrs or so old now), that skirts Rte 89 & 93 traffic just away from the heart of downtown - but all that PHX-LV and -Prescott traffic still passes through 100% of the fast food strip,

and there is the hypothetical Interstate bypass that ZBB mentions, and that would completely isolate the entire community from all thru-traffic.

I almost mentioned the current/new bypass...

As for potential I-11, I'm thinking it will use the existing US 60 / 89 route. Either that or it will cross the Hasayampa near the current rest stop, then go west past Wickenburg, then back north to 89 a bit west of Vulture Mine rd...

AudubonB, I hope you are alright. Your update on the town meeting is much appreciated. I find it interesting to know how the planning/approval process works. Hopefully your town will see the benefits of this SC.

Looking at Google Sat view, that's extremely tight for SC location. Even if just two are permitted. Scanning the area, shows not much better.

Hate to miss downtown as it looks like a great place to visit. But, I suspect, there is adequate power at the 'fast food' locations you mentioned.

Keep us posted.

Thus, after returning from the hospital, I went and talked with one representative of the Downtown Merchants' Ass'n (sadly, not a vibrant organization), and he helped me get in touch with some others; I have a meeting set up with the Town Mgr., and we think it is fortunate that the Mayor is an electrician - used to be the Town's Inspector. The consensus is that APS, who was the entity directly discussing with TMInc, did them an injustice. What became apparent during the meeting - fide the Town Manager - APS told TMInc that in the whole downtown, there were only two sites that both had parking slots and 3-phase power. And this is just plain incorrect! The Mayor was close to visibly perplexed to have heard that (and he a very taciturn chap); and the businessman I conferred with today told me the same.

Regardless, there IS a big concern with the proposed parking lot: it contains 2 x 9 spots, and the proposed contract is for TMInc. to have 8. In other words, effectively all of one side of quite a small parking lot. It was the immediate impression Jenny and I had when we scoped out the situation much earlier during the day. So....we had to wonder: was APS sandbagging Tesla, secretly hoping for resistance? We don't know, but after that utility's fierce opposition to residential PVs, most visibly opposed by Solar City, six weeks ago, it is easy to start thinking conspiracy here....

The upshot of the Council Meeting was that the council did NOT put the Resolution to a vote, but requested Town Mgr. to go back and suggest a re-negotiation; as reported in an earlier post, with the possibility of "starting" with potentially as few as two SpC slots. As I am sure forum members and other vehicle owners would agree, I think TMInc. would have little interest in that. Thus, I will continue to bring to the attention of the Town Mgr. and to other downtown merchants the positive aspects of having the SpCs here - and hoping all parties can find another heart-of-downtown location that appropriately can host eight or so charge slots.

Sure wish I had had the opportunity to address the Council first, rather than having to play clean-up.

Tesla does have other locations with few parking spots. I think the key would be the ability to expand rapidly with use, rather than the initial number, with a balance in negotiation between Superchargers and J1772.

It seems like everybody wants the Supercharger to happen, and once the details are decided the only blocker would be the power company.

WICKENBURG Y E S!!!
I just received a phone call from the Wickenburg Town Manager. The Council voted unanimously to provide the EIGHT!!! stalls as requested right there in the Town Hall parking lot. Tesla's contractor is beginning the preliminaries as we were speaking, he told me. Given the issues we've reported on, no one could be more surprised than I am.

Good gravy - right in the center of downtown; a 24/7 bathroom in the Town Hall building; the police department right there - can't hurt for security - and it's going to be logistically really easy to do the install as the 3-phase transformer is feet away. This is wonderful!

Won't be ready for Gold Rush Days - two weeks from now - but Phoenicians and Lost Wagers can start planning your trips to the other! And Kingman's open today, too...

PS: We zipped up and down to/from Jerome. Took 51.2kWh. Even 60s can make that trip if they top off here in W'burg.

WICKENBURG Y E S!!!
I just received a phone call from the Wickenburg Town Manager. The Council voted unanimously to provide the EIGHT!!! stalls as requested right there in the Town Hall parking lot. Tesla's contractor is beginning the preliminaries as we were speaking, he told me. Given the issues we've reported on, no one could be more surprised than I am.

Good gravy - right in the center of downtown; a 24/7 bathroom in the Town Hall building; the police department right there - can't hurt for security - and it's going to be logistically really easy to do the install as the 3-phase transformer is feet away. This is wonderful!

Won't be ready for Gold Rush Days - two weeks from now - but Phoenicians and Lost Wagers can start planning your trips to the other! And Kingman's open today, too...

PS: We zipped up and down to/from Jerome. Took 51.2kWh. Even 60s can make that trip if they top off here in W'burg.

Wow. Any word on whether they'll get any J1772 as part of the deal?

The proposed Wickenburg location would make it so I don't have to go out of my way to charge at Buckeye when going to Vegas from Tucson. It's 178 miles from my house, but shouldn't be a problem in a P85, especially if I range charge. It looks like there are some food establishments within walking distance by the City Hall, although not as convenient as the fast food strip off the highway.

WICKENBURG Y E S!!!

I may have missed it but do we have an address so we can add it to the wiki map? Thanks.

Answers:
1. Yes, that's the correct address (it's the Town Hall's minuscule front parking lot)
2. Restaurants are about 30 feet less convenient than had they been in one of the fast food joints - there really are a good number of individually-owned ones within 90 seconds' walking. The only downside is that they won't be open at 3am.
3. Nothing at present regarding a J1772. I am bewildered at why anyone thinks such a freebie is in Tesla's interest. Those of us with Supercharging hardware inside our automobiles paid very dearly for these Superchargers - and all up front. Why should someone else receive those benefits????
4. It is going to be interesting to learn what happens during Gold Rush Days - thirteen months hence. Will there be some established protocol by then to keep these stalls available for Teslas? Try just cones, or poles and chains? Tell anyone to come by at midnight? Hmm. It would be a shame not to have Phoenicians and others experience Gold Rush - it's a great, quaint festival.
5. Ready by 2/21? You may be surprised at just how much may get done in 30 days. It's not out of the question!

Whoa! I'm not due any credit!
Well, I did testify at the meeting, so maybe I'll take 0.5% of the credit.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa! I'm not due any credit!
Well, I did testify at the meeting, so maybe I'll take 0.5% of the credit.

You were there, testified, took your car. Two days later the town agrees to 8 stalls on the preferred site. Take a lot more than .5% credit!

Nope. I'm busy enough stuffing bees down their britches in championing the roll-out of Superchargers up to and throughout Alaska. Now, there I'll take credit!

- if and when it occurs.