Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wickenburg, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FINALLY some progress to report!! Yay!!!

I just (mid-day Wed., 11 June) received an email from the town's Director of Public Works. From the email:

Tesla has started construction of the new superchargers. Tesla's crew has been on-site for two days now and are plugging along.

Hot diggity dawg! I think we'll fly down just so we can be the first to plug in..... :) :) :)

FINALLY some progress to report!! Yay!!!

I just (mid-day Wed., 11 June) received an email from the town's Director of Public Works. From the email:

Hot diggity dawg! I think we'll fly down just so we can be the first to plug in..... :) :) :)
"Plugging along". Heh.

Maybe I will drive out to visit my brother in the Sedona area this summer. If they can get that one or Cordes Lakes done, then I will be golden.

Thanks for the update Audie!

Hopefully its operational by the first week of August -- would be nice to head home from our road trip through Wickenburg instead of dropping down to Buckeye. I much prefer taking US60 from Quartzsite through Wickenburg back to north Scottsdale instead of I-10. Its shorter by ~25 miles and takes about the same amount of time due to lower limits and slowing down through a few towns...

So, I drove over to Wickenburg from Surprise this PM and got a couple of pictures. Not much more than holes in the ground now. I didn't see any equipment crates sitting around. Talked to the crew about where they might go from here and the quote was, "we just got here. Ha, Ha - don't know where we're going next." I tucked some cash in the fence and told them coffee and doughnuts were on me tomorrow. They waved and said thanks. If I can figure out how to load the pictures, I'll do that.

Wickenburg 001.JPG
Wickenburg 002.JPG
Wickenburg 003.JPG

Could be at Basha's, but my 3,665-miles-away guess is around the other side of the Town Hall...because that's the police parking lot :) Nice and safe!

M-in-law took some iPhone pix, too. I'll look at them, but I think the juicy shots will be over the next couple of days. Those are deep pads!!!!! Transformer and charging equipment goes there; the parking sites will be to the left of the gravel pile in the first photo (although original town documents had them 30 feet over on the other side of the parking lot. If so, they'll have to do a minuscule amount of trenching).

I think I'll have to persuade m-in-law to donate goodies to the crew as well. We'll see how she responds to that​!

Just part of the negotiation. Tesla wants to kease land from the town. If the town wants chargers for long-stay visitors there's a deal to be made to have J1772s installed at the same time, since it'd be cheaper and easier than a separate project. Doesn't have to be an ongoing cost to Tesla. A J1772 would be usable by Tesla owners as well, ones who aren't just passing through, and if close to the Tesla spots it's a good opportunity to have others encounter a Tesla, I wonder how much it would cost to wire up the other 12 spaces...

Maybe a few Tesla 60 owners would be happy with the J-1772. A friend missed the SC option and feels they should have asked him and explained it better. He would love a HPC J-1772 at each SC and even pay a smaller fee than the $2,500 to add it. Maybe $1K.

At the initial Town Hall meeting back in February, the gentleman who put forth the J1772 proposal is someone who owns a Volt. You cannot get TO anywhere from Wickenburg in a Volt - this would enable him to get free charging, pure and simple. I bit my tongue throughout the whole meeting and by the time I could speak, there was little left for me to do but describe the Model S and offer a show-and-tell. I did, however, try my best to remind the Council that TMC was the one footing both the construction bill, the monthly rental AND the electricity bill, and that there was not a lot of reason to enable a freeloader hanger-on.

But I did it gently..... ;)

Looks like the article is behind a paywall, but they have the pic avail online (not sideways).

news02.jpg

(Maybe Audie can tell me to shut up in more than one thread) :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

So what are the three spots available for anyone to charge? 3x3 doesn't make sense.

3 spots reserved for Tesla charging only.

3 spots are "general parking" -- but have Superchargers. Other cars can park there, but only Teslas will be able to charge (pending other makes adopting Tesla's Supercharger)... That's not uncommon for Supercharger sites...