Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wickenburg, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used this supercharger on Saturday July 19. It seems to be in a "hole" for ATT cellphone coverage, so I was unable to check the charge status on my iPhone Tesla app. Visible Tesla, tracking the trip, also lost all telemetry at the SpC, but had good data a few hundred yards or so on either side of it.

Very nice SpC, restaurants a short walk away, or bad coffee at McDonald's a bit further...

Did you get a drink or catch a bite to eat while you were there?

I'm curious, out of interest in the effect for a small* town.

* I get to call it a small town, since my metropolis of residence has a whopping 15k people.

On the way to Las Vegas we went to Chaparral Ice Cream while the car charged. On the way back we only had to charge to 150 miles so it wasn't long.

- - - Updated - - -

Used this supercharger on Saturday July 19. It seems to be in a "hole" for ATT cellphone coverage, so I was unable to check the charge status on my iPhone Tesla app. Visible Tesla, tracking the trip, also lost all telemetry at the SpC, but had good data a few hundred yards or so on either side of it.

Very nice SpC, restaurants a short walk away, or bad coffee at McDonald's a bit further...

I had the same experience. I couldn't check the app for charge status.

Oh, yes: there is NO AT&T coverage around Wickenburg. To the south, you have a window of opportunity RIGHT AT the Rtes 60 & 73 intersection; to the north on 93, they have 4G/LTE service right in Wikiup, of all places!!!! To the north on 89, I can't recall offhand if AT&T exists in Yarnell, but it does a bit further on at Kirkland Jct.

We can highly recommend the Wickenburg Desert Caballeros Western Museum. They have an amazing collection of western art and historical displays of Wickenburg. The main museum is about two blocks away on Frontier Street at US 60.

The museum is indeed a gem. It is absolutely NOT possible to do it justice during the time it takes to receive a Supercharge, however. I hope to organize with the AZ Club a trip specifically to the Desert Caballeros this winter. It is not at all what an outsider might think he or she will find in a little ol' cowboy town way out Wickenburg way.

Oh, yes: there is NO AT&T coverage around Wickenburg. To the south, you have a window of opportunity RIGHT AT the Rtes 60 & 73 intersection; to the north on 93, they have 4G/LTE service right in Wikiup, of all places!!!! To the north on 89, I can't recall offhand if AT&T exists in Yarnell, but it does a bit further on at Kirkland Jct.

There is AT&T coverage in Yarnell, although its weak. My iPhone picks it up, but the Tesla didn't the last time I was up there (back in May...)

From my trips through Wickenburg, here's where I can confirm the coverage gaps (based on VisibleTesla logging):

1) When heading into Wickenburg from the Phoenix area: Exactly as Audie states -- drops at the US 60 / 73 junction (73 is Carefree Highway... Cue Gordon Lightfoot...)
2) When heading out of Wickenburg to the west on US 60: No coverage until near Wenden or Salome -- VT picked up the car just west of Salome (at the junction with AZ 72), but I had it in "allow sleep mode", so I probably had coverage for 15-20 miles before...)
3) When heading into Wickenburg on US 93 from Kingman: Coverage drops a bit south of Wikiup -- right when you get to be due west of Bagdad. There is also a gap a bit north of Wikiup, but there is coverage again before you get to I-40.
4) When heading out of Wickenburg on US 80 to the north. No coverage at least to Yarnell. Based on Audie's report, coverage should come back as you approach Kirkland (about 10 miles north of Yarnell...)

- - - Updated - - -

So why did all posts after july get deleted?

Were there any posts? I know Audie mentioned that one of the supercharger stalls was damaged in the late August massive monsoon that hit, but that may have been in another thread...

I believe they never were in this specific thread; rather, they were and are here: Wickenburg supercharger blocked by dumpster!!

F Y'alls I, Wickenburg chargers are no longer blocked and 1A works

photo (6).JPG

Finally made it to the Wickenburg SC on our way south from NorCal. Got to say, my favorite so far. And I've been to all of'em out west. Cute little town with lots to do. And if that's not enough, you get to park in front of the bloody Police Dept! My kudos to AudubonB for his efforts in getting this done.

One small blemish on my visit today. The parking lot in front of the PD was completely empty. EXCEPT for one very loud red Dodge parked in 1A of the clearly marked Supercharger spots. Go figure. With vanity Arizona plate with LADY831. Go get'um Audie!

Hey there! Wish I somehow could have known you'd be passing through. As we've been back from New Zealand since Xmas Eve, we almost always can find some excuse to park....oops, I mean charge....in downtown W'burg. Are you looping back through any time soon?

Hey there! Wish I somehow could have known you'd be passing through. As we've been back from New Zealand since Xmas Eve, we almost always can find some excuse to park....oops, I mean charge....in downtown W'burg. Are you looping back through any time soon?
Only current plan to head north is to meet up with my son and family at the Grand Canyon in early April. Once those plans come together I'll be in touch.

Of course, if my golf game doesn't improve, I may have more occassions for day trips.

Will PM.

A New Year's Eve alert for all who may be traveling between Phoenix and Las Vegas or Quartzite:

As of right now, 10am, there are about two inches of snow on the ground in W'burg, visibility about 1/2 mile, with moderate* snow falling. Winds gusting to 25mph, decreasing visibility to very low numbers at times.

Jenny, who grew up in Wickenburg, says she's never seen anything like this ever. Snow in the air; a few flakes resting on the ground; but never anything that makes Wickenburg, as of right now, have more snow on the ground than our friends in Fairbanks and Anchorage have!!!!! (Paxson, high in the mountains, remains about the only place in Interior Alaska that looks as it should....)

*moderate: by NWS standards. Anyone in Arizona would call this "extremely heavy".

Drive carefully, everyone, and if anyone finds him/herself stranded in Wickenburg, PM me and we'll happily put you up.

Happy New Year's!

Will PM.

A New Year's Eve alert for all who may be traveling between Phoenix and Las Vegas or Quartzite:

As of right now, 10am, there are about two inches of snow on the ground in W'burg, visibility about 1/2 mile, with moderate* snow falling. Winds gusting to 25mph, decreasing visibility to very low numbers at times.

Jenny, who grew up in Wickenburg, says she's never seen anything like this ever. Snow in the air; a few flakes resting on the ground; but never anything that makes Wickenburg, as of right now, have more snow on the ground than our friends in Fairbanks and Anchorage have!!!!! (Paxson, high in the mountains, remains about the only place in Interior Alaska that looks as it should....)

*moderate: by NWS standards. Anyone in Arizona would call this "extremely heavy".

Drive carefully, everyone, and if anyone finds him/herself stranded in Wickenburg, PM me and we'll happily put you up.

Happy New Year's!

Wow… For reference, we're about 50 miles east of Wickenburg in North Scottsdale… Elevation at our house is ~200 feet higher than Wickenburg, but its mid 40s and rainy here…

> there are about two inches of snow on the ground in W'burg [AudobonB]

Oh, the horror . . the horror! :scared:
--

And with visibility of only half a mile too! At 80mph, you'd not even have 20 seconds to react to something in the road!

(We shouldn't mock. I sometimes will read stories about the UK being "paralyzed" by 4 to 6 inches of snow and now having lived in Maine for 7 years it now seems ridiculous. But when you consider that in many areas you're lucky if the council has even one plow truck, most people are driving subcompacts and compacts without snow tires, 1/3 of the population uses public transportation to commute, that the drivers of the public transportation have to get to work as well, and truck drivers don't like to slow down, it can get a bit crazy.)

All in good fun, I know, but:

No, you shouldn't mock. I am the only one who is entitled to mock. My part of Alaska is the standard by which all other road-connected parts of that state compare themselves. Our winters last about eight months; my own road - the Denali Highway - the state abandons to us locals for seven months out of the year and leaves it to us (there are about seven of us living on its eastern 134 miles) to maintain.

So, you tropical WY and ME types can giggle, but I'm the one who gets the last laugh about this so-called Wickenburg winter and driving conditions here. And I am very, very happy not to have to endure a third decade of Paxson winters.

Happy New Year!