Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger will not release the cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I plugged into my local supercharger tonight for a few minutes to make sure I will make it home after New Year celebration. When I tried to unplug the cable it would not release. Supercharging stops after I press the button on charger handle, but I am unable to remove it from the car. They charging starts up again and handle re-locks. I ended up using emergency release cable in the trunk.

This has happened every time I tried to supercharge (3 times in two months). There has never been any problems with releasing my home charger or other chargers (I've used about 4-5 Tesla chargers, plus J1772 adapter). Any ideas?

Here is an update: I tried to supercharge again, tried using the app and the screen to stop charging, and the charging stops, but supercharger refuses to let go! Even worse, after using manual release cord I now get a notification saying that charging is disabled. So now I can't charge anywhere! SC, here I come.

I had a similar issue. I found that holding the release button on the charging cord in and not releasing it will allow you to pull the cable out. Normally I would just press the button once and I could remove the cord but this charger would not release unless I held the button in. Give it a shot.

I had a similar issue. I found that holding the release button on the charging cord in and not releasing it will allow you to pull the cable out. Normally I would just press the button once and I could remove the cord but this charger would not release unless I held the button in. Give it a shot.

I tried that as well because someone suggested that earlier. Unfortunately it did not work for me.

Here is an update: I tried to supercharge again, tried using the app and the screen to stop charging, and the charging stops, but supercharger refuses to let go! Even worse, after using manual release cord I now get a notification saying that charging is disabled. So now I can't charge anywhere! SC, here I come.
I have seen the same, but the problem resolved by itself sometime overnight

So I plugged into my local supercharger tonight for a few minutes to make sure I will make it home after New Year celebration. When I tried to unplug the cable it would not release. Supercharging stops after I press the button on charger handle, but I am unable to remove it from the car. They charging starts up again and handle re-locks. I ended up using emergency release cable in the trunk.

This has happened every time I tried to supercharge (3 times in two months). There has never been any problems with releasing my home charger or other chargers (I've used about 4-5 Tesla chargers, plus J1772 adapter). Any ideas?

I have had the EXACT same problem.

Before the latest update I waited for the white light on the charge port before I unplugged the cable. I called Tesla support and they told me to pull the charge cable out as soon as I hear the latch release. That has been working. The problem is that the color on the charge port is BLUE when I pull the cable now. As a matter of fact, when I press the button on the SC cable to cease charging and release the cable it NEVER turns white.

I go out to the charge port and the charge port light is flashing green. I press the button and the charge port light turns solid blue. I immediately hear the charge port latch release. If I don't unplug the cable in the next 1-2 seconds it goes back to charging. If I press the button again to cease charging and release the cable the port turns solid blue again. No white light. Then if I press the button on the SC cable the light on the charge port goes red. Now I have to release the cable via the trunk override release option.

That Blue color on the charge door is NOT the color we should wait for before pulling the cable out. I am violating Tesla instructions by listening to the instructions of the Tesla people. Hmmmmm.

So I tried closing/opening charger port, re-setting, etc. After like 10th cycle on closing/opening charger port the car finally reset and I was able to start the charge session. Still going to service center tomorrow. I want to be able to use supercharger.

I had same problem yesterday. Could not release cable either from car or app. Eventually, I reduced the charge limit to a few miles above where it was and restarted the charging- it added a few miles of range and stopped automatically and released the cable. I wonder if it had anything to do with the logic for ending the charge and computing the cost?

As someone mentioned earlier, a workable solution to this is to simple open one of your car doors and then press the button on the charger again. I've typically associated the issue with the car being locked. However, I've also noticed that the button won't release when the car is asleep. So, whether opening the door unlocks the charge port or wakes the car and thus unlocks the port it ends up accomplishing the same thing.