TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Willcox, AZ

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by azred, Jul 6, 2017.

1. azred

azred Member

Since Willcox is on the 2017 list, it seems like it should have a thread....

• Like x 1
  2. Tyl

Tyl Member

#2 Tyl, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    CONTACT!!

It is proposed to be located at the Holiday Inn Express Willcox AZ. No permits have been submitted yet. So far, just a site review as plans/permits and the like are forthcoming. Timeframe unknown. >>>>>> Some very, very sketchy information about a possible Deming MN supercharger location. 5R Truck stop Deming NM. ...again, I'm trying to find anything I can, anyway I can and this is all that I found out!

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Great news. Thanks for posting. That (siting) only took 2.7 years from the first forecast.

Glad they're finally moving forward to close the I-10 gap. It'll be the first and only transcontinental route that won't require snow tires or chains year-round (see I-70 this past May or I-40 in November).

Long past time to get this started, let alone done.

Trying to remember the other location the Supercharger team notes earlier this month to fill that gap. Might have been Deming. Wasn't Lordsburg, which was surprising.

And of course, no Iove for Tucson or Benson yet (bleh). Tucson remains one of the most (SC-)underserved 1-million+ metro areas on the continent.

And yet we have a second route through Wyoming and 5 SCs on an island in central Mexico.

Unbelievably poor execution from stated plans in 2014. Glad to see it finally happening (and it's not even permit-ed yet - but great news nonetheless).

4. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

Is there a lease agreement in place between Tesla and the Holiday Inn Express in Willcox? Was it the Holiday Inn Express that provided the information to you?

5. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

Thanks! Good sleuthing. I was trying to poke around the Cochise County web site and the Wilcox web site yesterday- I came up dry. I drove to Galveston Tx 3 times since I bought my Tesla. Only once did I drive it though- and that time was by going all the way up to I-40 and across to OKC then down to Galveston. Took an extra day. The other two times I drove our old Tahoe- and the AC crapped out both times!

6. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

I called the 5R Travel Center in Deming (and apparently someone else did too) and spoke to two different people, and neither knew anything about it. Neither person I spoke to was the manager though.

7. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

I called the Holiday Inn Express in Willcox, the status appears to be unchanged since Tyl's report last week. They have done site surveys, but the person I talked to was not aware of there being a lease in place (though she was not the manager).

8. beej

beej New Member

First time posting here.....I have some news for whatever it's worth.

I just returned from a long road trip (Arizona to Minnesota) in my model S. On the way out, among the many SC's we stopped at was the one at Gothenburg, NE. There was another Tesla parked, but I didn't notice anyone in or around the car. The SC's are at the Nebraska Bar and Grill. After plugging in, we went inside for dinner. We returned to the car around 9pm. The other Tesla was still there. As we approached our car, a young man got out of the other car carrying a laptop, and I watched in amazement as he went over to the charger cabinets, unlocked and opened one, and began consulting his laptop. I immediately started asking him questions. He said he was a Tesla engineer who worked on the installation and maintenance of SC's. He had driven to this site from Denver, and he said he was updating the software on two of the chargers. He said the AT&T signal was weak in this area and these two chargers had trouble connecting, so he had to come to the site to do the update. We then got to talking about all the SC sites he visits and how it was challenging in extreme weather. When I said I was from southern Arizona, he immediately volunteered that the I-10 gap in AZ and NM would be finished by the end of the year. "It's in the works," he said. He also made the interesting comment that the SC in T or C, NM had been built before any of the remaining I-10 sites in order to make it possible for him to drive down to the future I-10 sites from Albuquerque.

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 2
  9. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

Excellent! Thank you! And welcome!

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

It's worth an Informative and a Like at least!

Welcome and thank you.