Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Willcox, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was last at Willcox AZ 18 days ago. Cars coming and going routinely. I didn’t notice any stalls not working but I wasn’t paying strict attention.

At the 5R in Deming NM several charging cables were laying on the ground. I re-holstered them but some didn’t stay holstered. It was hella windy! Later folks plugged into them and charged so not sure if the ones out of the holsters are -all- not working. I don’t make them my first choice to back into but I think some just fall out and are hanging on the ground because of weather or a bad latch when holstered. It’s hit or miss I guess. If we find one not working we need to call Tesla each and every time and advise them of the location and stall number.
….. but…. me included…. I don’t check a downed cable if I find a good stall to charge in. I just charge and go!
I usually rely on the 17” display to indicate 6 of 8 available etc. but that’s just cars charging.
I’m curious if Tesla has visibility on each site -as to an inoperative stall(s). How would that be communicated to drivers….. or on the 17”?

Incites ???
The latches tend to go bad on the v2s. The cables are heavier and can get blown off the holster in high winds. Also the cable rigidity changes quite a bit at varying temperatures so this could be a factor in places with wide temperature swings (most of the Central US).

Last edited:
Reactions: tccartier and Tyl
Three of the eight stalls down this afternoon and a queue building. Tesla doesn’t show the 3rd stall down, in app or car.
IMG_7046.jpeg
IMG_7047.jpeg

Three of the eight stalls down this afternoon and a queue building. Tesla doesn’t show the 3rd stall down, in app or car.
Ouch. Down chargers, slow chargers, a line, and no other supercharger sites within dozens of miles. :(
But, 3 chargers down on a V2 site? Seems weird; almost impossible unless there was a damaged charger handle; had to actually be 2 or 4 (despite the evidence in the photo). :)

When I showed up at this supercharger yesterday the line was around 20 cars long, we decided to backtrack to Benson and use the Electrify America station there instead. Based on further Plugshare comments, I think this was the right choice, even though time-wise it was probably pretty similar, it had a bit less uncertainty than waiting in line. Was an adventure (and justification for getting the CCS retrofit). Thankfully I haven't encountered the same line at superchargers since then, many are almost full but not significant waits, as long as you prioritize the V3 superchargers when possible.

First thing this morning the car was saying this was completely closed. Many cars were routed to the south/east Tucson charger in order to reach Deming or Las Cruses instead. There was a long line…
When we reached the head of the queue I could get no charge and the supercharger was reporting errors. Others were getting 20kW only. I had to backtrack to the Tucson West SC and charge right up to get to Deming, which also had a queue. Ended up waiting 15 minutes to get a 5 min charge so I could reach Las Cruses and fill up.
All in all, a very tedious day

• Love
Reactions: xilex
Honestly it doesn't sound that bad given that you all are driving a major highway with few charging options at a time when half the country is driving the same highway to get to the eclipse.

I mean you knew all of this going into it right?!? Right?!?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Honestly it doesn't sound that bad given that you all are driving a major highway with few charging options at a time when half the country is driving the same highway to get to the eclipse.

I mean you knew all of this going into it right?!? Right?!?
Yeah, I'd worried about a potential charging experience like this one at each stop along the way, but so far Wilcox has been the only problematic stop as long as one plans the journey well!

Yeah, I'd worried about a potential charging experience like this one at each stop along the way, but so far Wilcox has been the only problematic stop as long as one plans the journey well!
I had friends in West Texas on Sunday. They said Fort Stockton was a pretty major chokepoint. The old Ozona supercharger had a lineup as well but there were stalls open at the new v3 a few blocks away which isn't in the Nav yet. Deming and Van Horn also had lines but didn't sound terrible.

Monday evening will be worse imo, but at least there's no risk of missing the eclipse due to wait times. Just missing work or whatever :)

Reactions: APotatoGod
We were leaving Tucson on Saturday morning as the line was building in east Tucson and the nav told us to go back to charge, since Wilcox was 'completely' down. Since we were fully charged, we slowed down, did some drafting, intending to limp to Deming. Then stopped at Wilcox, since the app was showing some working and some not. Pulled in and there were 4 available. Pulled in next to a guy on his laptop. He motioned for me to roll down the window and said he was the tech and had just reopened the site. Apparently, he had to drive from Wickenburg (about 400miles) to make repairs. This was at around 10am, Saturday.