TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Willcox, AZ

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by azred, Jul 6, 2017.

1. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Paging @BlueShift sounds like this is permit confirmation,,,

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

...And, it's up on BlueShift!

3. tccartier

tccartier Member

I'm at the Holiday Inn Express in Willcox right now live not too far from here it is definitely confirmed spoke with hotel management supercharger is going in their lot. they're thinking time frame should be operational by the end of the year that might be a little optimistic 15069830139171830258989.jpg

This is supposedly the site. there does appear to be a container that has been moved on to the site but no ground has been broken yet. Staff here indicates that work has begun but it must be in its infancy perhaps only planning and so forth and figuring out where they're going to go with high voltage cabling and so forth.

• Helpful x 5
    • Informative x 1
  4. tccartier

tccartier Member

Had some time to kill lol. So I drove down to Willcox :) to make the inquiry posted above. Need more places to drive to... Bwahahaha

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Love the proximity to the interstate - nice pix. Good stuff indeed. I look forward to making that very drive once the Tucson SC is live, along with trips finally to Bisbee and so forth.

6. Don TLR

Don TLR Member

That's going to be helpful going to White Sands,, hopefully done soon and thanks for the updates!!

7. teddytoons

teddytoons Member

I'll be going through Willcox late November to El Paso. We shall see what happens...stay tuned...

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Wilcox, AZ

Along Primary Interstates: I-10
    Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-191
    Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-10:
    To: Deming, NM - 134 miles
    Diversion: 1 mile
    To: El Paso, TX - 223 miles

Neighbors:
    Farmington, NM (I-10,US-191,AZ-78/NM-78,US-180,NM-12,NM-32,US-60,NM-36,NM-117,I-40,NM-371,u): 446 miles
    Deming, NM (I-10): 134 miles
    Tucson, AZ (I-10): 68.2 miles
    Holbrook, AZ (I-10,US-191,US-70,US-70,AZ-77): 257 miles

9. teddytoons

teddytoons Member

Going from Casa Grande fully charged to Willcox. If no Supercharger, it's a four hour charge at an RV park. (take a nap , I guess).
    Then, on to El Paso with a quick Supercharge in Canutillo, TX before going over Trans-mountain road.o_O

10. swegman

swegman Active Member

How are you making it from Casa Grande to Wilcox on one charge, and then on one charge from Wilcox to El Paso? I'm currently doing that exact trip. Its uphill from Tucson to Wilcox. Had to top off in Tucson after leaving Casa Grande to get to Wilcox, where I charged to get to Deming, NM. I'm currently charging at the Roadrunner RV Park in Deming to go the 90 miles to El Paso. My energy usage from Wilcox to Deming was about 410 Wh due to winds. I was driving about 67 in a 75 mph speed limit (and being passed by everyone on the road).

Where do you plan to charge between the Van Horn and Ozona Superchargers?

• Helpful x 1
  11. tccartier

tccartier Member

It's roughly 160 miles from Casa Grande to Wilcox. Should be doable normally even in a S60. Wilcox to El Paso however, that's on the very bleeding edge of my S85's range (trip planner tells me I'd make it with about 32 RM remaining) but a S90D or S100D should fare better, with the S100D doing the trip easily.

• Like x 1
  12. teddytoons

teddytoons Member

I have an S90D (approx. 298 mile range) that should easily get me to Willcox. Additionally, I'm hoping to cut my charge-up time in Willcox by drafting a semi-tractor trailer all the way. I'm hoping I can draft more semis to Canutillo (255 miles), if not , I'll have to stop in Deming at the Roadrunner RV park for a touch-up.

• Like x 1
  13. tccartier

tccartier Member

I'm now wondering if the chargers they are getting are of the "destination" variety?? It occurred to me that they "hotel mgmt." might not know the difference? So when I inquired about "Super Chargers" they might have thought that's what is being installed there?? Hmmmmm.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it a wee bit o_O

14. teddytoons

teddytoons Member

The Redondo Beach, Ca Supercharger is at a Hilton and it's one of the fasting charging stations I've been to. Hopefully, the Willcox Superchargers will be similar.:)

• Informative x 1
  15. Ed Trotter

Ed Trotter Member

Tesla's Find Us map shows Wilcox as a future Supercharger, not a destination charger site. Just FYI and relief.

• Like x 1
  16. tccartier

tccartier Member

Bwahahaha,

• Like x 1
  17. ColBatGuano

ColBatGuano Member

I just stopped by the Willcox Holiday Inn this afternoon, it looks like construction has started. No equipment other than conduit, but lots of digging and the charge station locations laid out.
    IMG_1323.JPG IMG_1325.JPG IMG_1322.JPG IMG_1324.JPG

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 3
  18. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

@BlueShift ^^^

So excited by this. I have a trip coming up from SD to the East Coast, and not having to drive north and take I-40 would be AWESOME!

19. tccartier

tccartier Member

The Tucson supercharger on Rita Road is operational as of yesterday. Happy Days! Will be going by there today, it will make the Tucson transition so much easier. Plan on stopping by and taking a look at the Willcox site as well, looks like they've begun trenching and such there.

• Like x 1
  20. tccartier

tccartier Member

At the Holiday Inn in Willcox right now :) they are well underway with conduit and such boy this is going to be great between this and Tucson when they're both online Tucson is up already I'm heading there should be there in about an hour maybe a little more

Attached Files:

• Like x 7