TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Willcox, AZ

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by azred, Jul 6, 2017.

1. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Dangerous choice. I'd stop at an RV Park or another choice and stay for a long charge. I do NOT want to be rear ended in a P85D or anything else for that matter.

2. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

Hopefully Pecos and Ft Stockton come on line soon

• Like x 1
  3. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Yeah, that's just not going to happen on that road. There is not much traffic, and the trucks are not usually going over 70-75 mph. Sight lines are pretty long in most places. It's annoying to go slow when the speed limit is 80, but not dangerous on this stretch.

4. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

If you look at the actual average speed your route planner is using, going .9X the average speed is more painful than expected. Google's average speed data (that all the planners use) thinks the average speed on I-10 in West Texas is 72 mph, so .9X that is 65...

5. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

I used evtripplanner.com, so I'm not sure what it uses. But even going 0.9*80=72 mph in west texas is a deal breaker, at least for me. With 74 being the optimum speed to minimize driving+charging time, that is a tough stretch to drive through in an EV. Then again, if you are going to have a nice leisurely lunch, then what the heck - drive 85 like a normal person.

6. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Distance from El Paso to Kerrville (the span with 80 mph limit) is 500 miles. Driving it at 74 mph rather than 80 mph takes 30 minutes longer. I doubt you will melt.;)

7. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

Well, I'd drive it at 85 if the limit were 80, so maybe closer to an hour, but it would feel awful as everyone else is blowing my doors off and probably getting mad at me for clogging up the freeway.

If I had a self driving car, I could take a nap or read a book, then I wouldn't mind so much what speed I was going.

But with the EV, there are going to be 2 charging stops along the way. If one of them includes lunch, I'll drain the battery going 80 or 85 and not worry about the charging time.

8. Tyl

Tyl Member

202 miles from Rita Rd Tucson AZ to 5R Deming NM. All eyes will be on Willcox AZ and Ft Stockton to make coast to coast I-10 traveling a breeze.
    I’m most comfortable with a 30% cushion to my destination sooooo 262 miles of range at Rita Rd Tucson or Deming NM going west or east is doable but.........! I’ve been caught in winds, weather, and cold often enough to know I’d prefer to have Willcox AZ completed prior to making a Phoenix AZ to El Paso TX trip. Then and again I may throw caution aside as there are places to level 1-2 charge if necessary. Eyes on Willcox for now!!

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

If you drive that road at 80 mph, you will likely not be passed by ANYONE. It is not a "freeway" to be clogged up. You will be passing trucks, RVs, and the occasional caravan of junk cars bought at auction and being towed to Mexico by a slightly less junk car. Most everyone else is doing close to the speed limit or less.

• Like x 1
  10. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I was about to call you out on this -- I knew you couldn't resist!

11. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

It's been 3 yrs since I had to do a Dallas to Phoenix drive. It's not my favorite drive.

12. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I expect Autopilot will be our friend on that trip, more than any other!

• Like x 1
  13. Graffi

Graffi Member

I would not let the missing Ft Stockton SC stop me. Being able to go Coast to Coast on I-8/I-10 rather than detour up to I-40 then back down will cut lots and lots of miles and many hours off our trips. Tucking behind a semi (if only we could convoy with the Tesla Semi) at 65 mph for that stretch will still save lots of time and miles. You may even find a semi going 75 mph that will still allow you to get there on a 75 kwh battery. So happy that we can now get to El Paso from CA.

14. tccartier

tccartier Member

How about hooking up with a 100 d in lock step and use autopilot to keep the cars tight. Lol

15. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

There is always a speed at which you can make it. Just remember the east-to-west trip is uphill and (usually) against a significant wind, often 30+ mph.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. tccartier

tccartier Member

Not much has changed here in Wilcox. The only visible difference is I could see was the individual concrete pads have been poured for the superchargers themselves IMG_20171121_150150971.jpg IMG_20171121_150050071.jpg IMG_20171121_150032244.jpg

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. swegman

swegman Active Member

I respectfully disagree with this statement. I drove this road in September from AZ to FL. I was constantly being passed by cars in AZ and NM that were doing at least 90 mph. I don't know exactly how fast they were going, but I was driving my P85 above the limit and still being passed. I even had the occasional truck that would come right up on my rear. It was not a fun trip having to spend hours at an RV park in Wilcox and Demming. It will be a much better ride once the Wilcox supercharger is operational.

• Like x 2
  18. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

As stated in posts before the one you quoted, I am talking about in Texas, between just South of El Paso to just before Kerrville, where the speed limit is 80 mph. Not "AZ and NM".

19. Azlogger

Azlogger Member

Lots of activity at the charger construction site today. I snapped a couple of pictures, but I didn't want to get in anybody's way so they aren't super clear. I can't see that many obvious changes since the last photos, aside from three of the stanchions that are standing. Lets hope they got a bunch of wiring done that we can't see :)

IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1637.JPG

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  20. otter

otter Recovering eager beaver

Thanks for the recon, @Azlogger! It does look like someone was working on wiring, with those distribution center cabinets standing open. I'm going to start getting really excited when the utility transformer shows up on the spot where the conduit is sticking up....

• Like x 1