Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

It seems like construction for the Winnipeg Supercharger will be starting soon, with an office trailer on site at the CF Polo Park mall near the parking garage on the Southeast corner of the mall. User @Andy O talked to the manager inside the office, who said there would be 10 stalls at this location (unknown if it will be Urban or Regular stalls). Will wait for actual ground breaking before changing the pin on Supercharge info.

Original quotes below:
I found the Winnipeg location and photographed it. It's in the southeast corner of the Polo Park shopping centre parking lot and, as you can see, it consists at the moment of only a construction trailer and fence. The trailer occupant said the electrical connections should be installed in 2 weeks, and the whole thing ready in the first part of September.
View attachment 433267
Yes, the main in the trailer office said they were installing a 10 station Tesla supercharger, and gave me the dates I mentioned in my original posting.

Attachments

• 486D08E5-E984-4B73-9D9E-6C2B1F65B294.png
    486D08E5-E984-4B73-9D9E-6C2B1F65B294.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 469
  • Informative
Reactions: JSergeant
If it’s a ten stall, I’d bet on it being an Urban setup, but that’s just my guess.
Or maybe a mix of supercharging and L2 stations to get to 10 total EV charging stations. So, 6 or 8 supercharging stalls and 4 or 2 L2 stalls. That sort of distinction isn't the sort of thing I'd expect someone on site to make when talking about them unless you really pressed on how many were high voltage.

Or maybe a mix of supercharging and L2 stations to get to 10 total EV charging stations.
No. It’s a 10-stall station. Winnipeg is a much bigger city than say, Portage and Brandon. There are obviously more Teslas in the area and it’s at a bigger crossroads (Hwy 1 and Route 75). Also, there are already two Level 2 and one Level 3 FLO chargers in the Parkade very close to where these stalls will be built. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Since it’s been almost a week with no new updates, I’ll take to Supercharge Info and put this Supercharger as under construction. It will draw more attention to the location and will get this location more frequent updates, for we still cannot prove or disprove that this Supercharger is under construction, due to the not very clear picture.

Just drove by at 5:30PM today and nothing happening. They have the scaffolding installed for repairing the upper parking ramp but no excavations. There's a grassy bank against the south side of the ramp that might be the ideal location and fenced off like under the ramp, but no indication they are leveling it or digging down (or how power might reach there). I worry the trailer occupants might have been pulling someone's leg.
Polo.JPG

Well, just in case this is the real thing...

Winnipeg, MB

Along National Highways: TCH/MB-1

TCH:
To: Prawda, MB - 115.9 km
Diversion: 3.7 km
To: Ignace, ON - 462.7 km

Manitoba is Supercharger crazy.
Shame it's all east-west, huh.

Walked by that section yesterday, no construction going on at ground level. Under the parkade, part is reserved for mall employees and remains open. Can't see them putting it there(although the cover would be nice for our balmy warm winters here) I like your "maybe" spot but wish they would pick somewhere with better visibility as they are a great marketing tool especially in underserved areas.

Most people in Winnipeg have rarely if ever seen a tesla, let alone a supercharger. They suffer from perimeteritous and never leave. lol

Hello everyone,

New here. Not an owner yet but would like to be an M3/MY owner in the future. This supercharger (which has been delayed year after year) has remained a large obstacle in my purchasing decision as I am an apartment dweller with limited/no home charging options.

I was also driving around in this area yesterday on the hunt for construction progress and didn't find much. There is however a second set of PCL (same company as trailer) fences underneath the canopy 1-2 bays further north than in MD's photo. I think that this could be a potential location and would say it is not unlikely for PCL (a large and diverse construction company) to be working on the ramp construction as well as the supercharger. While I agree that the visibility of the site is not great as it is hiding behind the ramp. It would certainly be appreciated by drivers to have the supercharger located under the covered area in the winter time.

Reactions: Chuq and JSergeant
Walked by that section yesterday, no construction going on at ground level. Under the parkade, part is reserved for mall employees and remains open. Can't see them putting it there(although the cover would be nice for our balmy warm winters here) I like your "maybe" spot but wish they would pick somewhere with better visibility as they are a great marketing tool especially in underserved areas.

Most people in Winnipeg have rarely if ever seen a tesla, let alone a supercharger. They suffer from perimeteritous and never leave. lol

The big problem is without chargers, there's nowhere to go. I've been to Portage, and Selkirk and Steinbach, I could probably make it to Brandon and back. I'm just itching for a real road trip.

The big problem is without chargers, there's nowhere to go. I've been to Portage, and Selkirk and Steinbach, I could probably make it to Brandon and back. I'm just itching for a real road trip.

The problem is seeing it the same as a trip on dino-juice. Plan 2 days each way. Drive to Calgary. Stop in small towns you’ve never been to and talk to the locals there for a couple of hours. And arrive empty. My 100d has about a 500km range. With 3 hours of charging at 80kms/hr, I can cover 700kms easily in a day that doesn’t feel rushed. 3 hours of charging means strategically planning for a 1 hour lunch and a 2 hour dinner. In small towns, that’s a little diner where I can talk to the owner for 10 minutes before ordering and again when I’m done. (Depending how busy he/she is). A walk to the town ice cream shop will easily make that an hour.

I’ve met interesting people. It’s part of why I love my car.

One restaurant was started by someone who moved to the town after finding it on a road trip. They thought it was a cute town, and they wanted a change. So hubby and wife packed up and moved.

I happened on a Stevenson reunion. Not one particular family, just people who shared the name. They thought I was one of them, but welcomed me in anyway even after finding out I wasn’t. There were hundreds at the hall where they were meeting. It was neat.

I’ve seen quirky car museums, taught new owners how supercharger stall numbering works, answered more questions about Tesla’s and EVs than I could count. I love it.

People are awesome. Interact with them. The time will fly past, and you’ll have experiences and interactions that will enriched the rest of your life.

This was long. Sorry. Waiting for breakfast. :)

Someday I'll have that sort of free time. Last trip to Calgary (on dino-juice) we left on Friday early, arrived in Calgary, picked up a set of Tesla rims for the snow tires Saturday and did some poking around to see the city sites (in the rain), went out to Banff and Lake Louise on Sunday, then drove home Monday. I don't have time for an 6-hour layover to charge each way, let alone 2 or 3. With a string of superchargers, I can do that with my Model 3. Same with a weekend trip to Minneapolis. Superchargers in Fargo, and maybe Grand Forks and Alexandria, and I won't have to overnight in Fargo each way

Remove these sorts of constraints and even more people will buy EV's. For now, here, it's mainly a commuter car, but I bouht with the anticipation it can do cross country eventually.

Visibility of the chargers doesn't matter that much. Non-Tesla owners don't need to see the chargers. Seeing the car and talking to the guy with the Tesla smile is what counts. Only the car needs to know where the chargers are.

I've had my Model X in Winnipeg twice, Apr 2018 and May 2019 and done "the talk" about a dozen times each trip.

North Dakota is killing me. Next trip, looks like it might be Duluth to Kenora. Sorry @lightfoot3b ...