Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What route and charging did you do to get to Minneapolis?
It was -28C with a 30 km/h headwind, gusting to 48 km/h when I left Winnipeg for MPLS. I topped up in Grand Forks at the Best Western L2 (10 kW output). There are 2 other L2's in GF, but only put out ~ 6 kW.

After that, it was pretty quick. Hit the free DCFC in Moorhead, then another free DCFC in Fergus Falls. Topped up @ the Clearwater SC for a bit. Plenty of free L2's in MPLS.

Ended up costing $7 to get there, and $10 to get back (both @ the Clearwater SC)

Going to Kelowna, the cost was $12 to get there, and $9 to get back (again, 1 SC each way)

I have a 2013 Model S P85. I have previously taken many trips into the states and charged at rates as high as 139kW. I have now charged at Brandon, Portage and Winnipeg and the highest charge rate I am getting is 40 - 60 kW. This is with a warm battery pack. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

I have a 2013 Model S P85. I have previously taken many trips into the states and charged at rates as high as 139kW. I have now charged at Brandon, Portage and Winnipeg and the highest charge rate I am getting is 40 - 60 kW. This is with a warm battery pack. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
Recent OTA firmware updates have throttled older battery packs at Superchargers. I have a 2015 S85D, and a month or so ago, I noticed that the fastest charge rates for me, regardless of state of charge, is now about 55KW. You may be experiencing the same thing

There are a number of threads on this on this forum

I agree. The charge rates at Polo Park, when you can find one that works, are pathetically slow. This week the charge rate was 94km per hour, at home with my Tesla charger I charge at 70 km per hour. When I call to advise Tesla of this issue their recordings say that they are aware automatically of any Supercharger issues and to hang up. So who can you call to have them checked?

Can you please post a link to one of those threads. I looked but couldn't find one.

Specifically on this topic:
Model S85D slow at supercharger
Some positive, some negative in this thread
Should I avoid cars with 85kwh packs?
On range reduction on older batteries, may include the reduced speed
Maximum battery charge level reduced

There are lots I've read, but can't find, where it refers to this issue. I know there is a specific update that some have pointed out as the culprit, but I can't find it.

Of note: I typically got 100KW+ charging speeds below 50% range in the past. I now get 50-55 KW now. Enough that I'll take my ice car for long trips ( more than 2 SC stops). I've lost about 5% of my range in 5 years, so I don't have the range loss issue.....

I agree. The charge rates at Polo Park, when you can find one that works, are pathetically slow. This week the charge rate was 94km per hour, at home with my Tesla charger I charge at 70 km per hour. When I call to advise Tesla of this issue their recordings say that they are aware automatically of any Supercharger issues and to hang up. So who can you call to have them checked?

I usually use 2C and find that it gives a good (V2) charge rate when using a conditioned battery and @ 20% or lower. I agree with phoning, WHY put the number there when they don't want to talk to us. Have not seen a good V3 charge rate in Canada.

8AC9E492-0459-433E-84B6-D3FAF5B1A967.png
On a recent trip back from Saskatoon I stopped in Portage la Prairie and charged as below
Much higher than anytime in Winnipeg.