Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at comments about the Chademo chargers between Fort Frances and Minneapolis, the eastern route nearer Duluth, as an alternative to going via Fargo. Some comments I saw (plugshare?) said that all those chargers were the same company and all needed repairs due to a recall.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
I see they've dug a hole by the Hydro boxes at the north-east corner of Earls Restaurant, another along Empress directly across from the ramp, and another at the corner of the ramp. Looks like they are preparing for burrowing the electrical feed to the grassy knoll now.

I see they've dug a hole by the Hydro boxes at the north-east corner of Earls Restaurant, another along Empress directly across from the ramp, and another at the corner of the ramp. Looks like they are preparing for burrowing the electrical feed to the grassy knoll now.

Does this look like the area they were digging around?
20190808_105114.jpg

I would be disappointed if that's the location. as in the fall/spring, your car would basically be covered in dirt from passing cars. Those lanes create swampy gross sand lakes and people fly through them, also causing them to be encased in ice overnight

Last edited:
Reactions: SammichLover
Not exaclty. they dug a hole beside those green boxes, and another as far along the street as you can see, and then again where the trees start by the ramp. I think they are using the modern technique of drilling horizontally from hole to hole to get power to the ramp.
It's not really obvious, but there's a hole under the plywood and under one orange cone on the plywood.
There's also a hole about 4 feet across by those trees at the corner of the ramp, directly opposite from the second pic and just inside the existing curbing.

So maybe as mentioned, they are starting electrical.
And the trailer guys were telling the truth, the chargers will be alongside the ramp.
Polo.JPG

Not exaclty. they dug a hole beside those green boxes, and another as far along the street as you can see, and then again where the trees start by the ramp. I think they are using the modern technique of drilling horizontally from hole to hole to get power to the ramp.
It's not really obvious, but there's a hole under the plywood and under one orange cone on the plywood.
There's also a hole about 4 feet across by those trees at the corner of the ramp, directly opposite from the second pic and just inside the existing curbing.

So maybe as mentioned, they are starting electrical.
And the trailer guys were telling the truth, the chargers will be alongside the ramp.
View attachment 439207

That would be much better. AND great visibility for the brand. maybe bring up a few extra googles lol. The base of the ramp is also the most underused parking in the whole lot.So any ICE'ing that would happen would be pretty intentional.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbcarioca
Walked by that section yesterday, no construction going on at ground level. Under the parkade, part is reserved for mall employees and remains open. Can't see them putting it there(although the cover would be nice for our balmy warm winters here) I like your "maybe" spot but wish they would pick somewhere with better visibility as they are a great marketing tool especially in underserved areas.

Most people in Winnipeg have rarely if ever seen a tesla, let alone a supercharger. They suffer from perimeteritous and never leave. lol
I left.... ain't never coming back. LOL
However... I've been patiently watching as the build-out throughout eastern AB, SK and MB has been progressing. Tesla EVs really make you want to road trip and go visit. They can make road-tripping 2400km from Vancouver to Winnipeg so much cheaper for a family!
Hey did I just say "cheap"? Yep, I'm from Winnipeg.

Someday I'll have that sort of free time. Last trip to Calgary (on dino-juice) we left on Friday early, arrived in Calgary, picked up a set of Tesla rims for the snow tires Saturday and did some poking around to see the city sites (in the rain), went out to Banff and Lake Louise on Sunday, then drove home Monday. I don't have time for an 6-hour layover to charge each way, let alone 2 or 3. With a string of superchargers, I can do that with my Model 3. Same with a weekend trip to Minneapolis. Superchargers in Fargo, and maybe Grand Forks and Alexandria, and I won't have to overnight in Fargo each way

Remove these sorts of constraints and even more people will buy EV's. For now, here, it's mainly a commuter car, but I bouht with the anticipation it can do cross country eventually.

No worries.
By next summer the SuperChargers will be done.
Could also pick up the Chademo adapter as Petro Canada, Canadian Tire and some hydro (like BCHydro) are installing cross country too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 204EV and jbcarioca
I left.... ain't never coming back. LOL
However... I've been patiently watching as the build-out throughout eastern AB, SK and MB has been progressing. Tesla EVs really make you want to road trip and go visit. They can make road-tripping 2400km from Vancouver to Winnipeg so much cheaper for a family!
Hey did I just say "cheap"? Yep, I'm from Winnipeg.

Moving away from Winnipeg is like a right of passage lol. I swear Calgary is built entirely out of Winnipegers.

I lived several months in Winnipeg. It was just like Saskatoon, but bigger.

Saskatoon, Regina - same thing. I recall Doctor Bundolo's Pandemonium Medicine Show on CBC Radio. They had a skit about - Gophera, the Giant Radioactive Gopher That Ate Regina.

Army Spotter: "That cannon had no effect. He's reached the outskirts of Regina, sir!"

Artillery Commander: "Oh my God! One more block and he'll be downtown!"

Saskatoon, Regina - same thing. I recall Doctor Bundolo's Pandemonium Medicine Show on CBC Radio. They had a skit about - Gophera, the Giant Radioactive Gopher That Ate Regina.

Army Spotter: "That cannon had no effect. He's reached the outskirts of Regina, sir!"

Artillery Commander: "Oh my God! One more block and he'll be downtown!"
Was Regina originally called “Pile of Bones”?

Moving away from Winnipeg is like a right of passage lol. I swear Calgary is built entirely out of Winnipegers.
Well, the old joke about the definition of a Winnipeg resident:
" a Torontonian, who ran out of gas on their way to Calgary"........
I guess it loses something when you have a Tesla.......

(Note: I lived in St Boniface for 5 years, as a kid, and we came from Toronto)

• Funny
Reactions: 204EV
As of today - the base of the ramp. Not much has changed since the previous picture.
They appear to have trimmed the front tree to fit the transformer, so I assume it's going to stay.
Meanwhile, behind the transformer you can see a cleared area back from the curb, so I assume where the switch equipment goes.
I suspect the smaller trees further back are doomed, since they are close to the curb where I assume the charger pedestals will go.
(The upturned wheelbarrow is beside the curb, the dumpster will have to move back to make room too.)

progress 1.jpg