Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winston-Salem, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not much work. If you paste the full coordinates into Google Maps it will provide a trimmed down version. I typically do this and then copy the shorter coordinates into supercharge.info.

View attachment 870318
Okay, maybe not much work, but still plenty more than just right clicking where you want the pin to go in Google Maps, and left clicking the coordinates that pop up (which automatically puts the coordinates, with all those glorious digits into the cut buffer), and then pasting into the forum post. Why should people make the extra effort to paste the coordinates back into the Google maps search bar, and then use the mouse to drag/click the shorter form coordinates (I couldn't see a way that it automatically put that into the cut buffer), and THEN paste into the forum, just to save a few bytes in the forum post?

Okay, maybe not much work, but still plenty more than just right clicking where you want the pin to go in Google Maps, and left clicking the coordinates that pop up (which automatically puts the coordinates, with all those glorious digits into the cut buffer), and then pasting into the forum post. Why should people make the extra effort to paste the coordinates back into the Google maps search bar, and then use the mouse to drag/click the shorter form coordinates (I couldn't see a way that it automatically put that into the cut buffer), and THEN paste into the forum, just to save a few bytes in the forum post?
It helps the person editing Supercharge.info if they don't have to trim the extra digits.

It helps the person editing Supercharge.info if they don't have to trim the extra digits.
Why do they need to trim the extra digits?

I based my fastcharger.info code on the supercharge.info code and while it's possible things changed since I forked my copy, all I need to do is hit Ctrl-V in the latitude field and it will automatically parse the full GPS coordinates in the cut buffer into the separate latitude and longitude fields in the admin panel. It thought that was a very nice feature! I've never had to trim the digits, and once I click on Save to add/update the site, the alphanumeric values of those fields into a SQL POINT construct (for easy geometric calculations) (this part of the code may be different). I can't imagine why supercharge.info would need the digits trimmed, but if they do, that could easily be done in the code itself akin to how it automatically parses the coordinates into lat & long.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Having a large number of digits in the coordinates makes the info bubble on supercharge.info very wide, which can present a challenge on mobile devices. We have been trimming to six decimal places.
Seems like that can easily be done in the code that displays the info bubble or even when the data is inserted into the database at data entry time (in fact I'm surprised it doesn't do that already since I grabbed the same code for fastcharger.info).

Reactions: CorynNC
Seems like that can easily be done in the code that displays the info bubble or even when the data is inserted into the database at data entry time (in fact I'm surprised it doesn't do that already since I grabbed the same code for fastcharger.info).
Sure, it can be done in code. As far as changes go, I believe @Pluto has a number of things on his plate, so I’m not sure where something like this slots into his priority list. You might reach out to him directly if you have suggestions.

Yeah I see there being two main ways to update this behavior. Displaying truncated coordinates would be the simplest change to make, and the other way would be to change how new data is inserted via API and update existing data via SQL. I’ll probably just put a PR in to change how the coordinates are displayed on supercharge.info.

FYI new bollards and parking stops slated to be installed at this location. Likely won’t affect normal operations, but just a heads up.
IMG_8439.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ChrisC
FYI new bollards and parking stops slated to be installed at this location. Likely won’t affect normal operations, but just a heads up.
It seems to me like there is some new initiative going on with new bollards, parking stops and signage. I saw 2 other locations (Charlotte - Providence Rd, NC and Matthews, NC) with a similar situation of new parking hardware sitting on the ground waiting to be installed.

• Informative
Reactions: ChrisC