Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winter Garden, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
http://cwgdn.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Minutes/_08282019-552 [pdf]

What: New supercharger of unknown number of stalls planned for the Wawa in Winter Garden.
Address:
13501 W Colonial Dr, Winter Garden, FL 34787

GPS: 28.551646, -81.584416

The planning meeting wasn't explicit about how many stalls the supercharger would have, but one of the questions asked about 16 parking stalls being converted to Tesla use and Tesla responded that they were converting 8. My reading is that this likely means it will be a 16 stall supercharger with 8 signed for Tesla charging only and 8 signed for time limited general parking. But it's not clear enough to say for sure, and it's possible that only 8 total stalls will be used.

@Chuq @MarcoRP

The planning meeting wasn't explicit about how many stalls the supercharger would have, but one of the questions asked about 16 parking stalls being converted to Tesla use and Tesla responded that they were converting 8. My reading is that this likely means it will be a 16 stall supercharger with 8 signed for Tesla charging only and 8 signed for time limited general parking. But it's not clear enough to say for sure, and it's possible that only 8 total stalls will be used.
Great detective work!

Yes, I believe you are correct. My interpretation is that Tesla is asking for 16 charging spaces. They are proposing 8 spaces will be exclusively for Tesla and another 8 spaces will be for general parking only for 15 minutes.

I'm pretty confident in the interpretation, but this is a proposal. It remains to be seen if the request will be accepted as proposed by the city.

Larry

Reactions: Seven7 and Chuq
It remains to be seen if the request will be accepted as proposed by the city.
I don't think we'll find out until construction starts. From the motion that was passed on the matter, they'll get development approval from staff review only of the updated plans without needing to have a second hearing.

Winter Garden has a publicly searchable permitting portal to look for building permits, but it isn't that useful unless you already know the permit or application number.

I don't think we'll find out until construction starts. From the motion that was passed on the matter, they'll get development approval from staff review only of the updated plans without needing to have a second hearing.

Winter Garden has a publicly searchable permitting portal to look for building permits, but it isn't that useful unless you already know the permit or application number.

I was able to get the permit search to work for the Wawa address. It should pop up here when the file the permit.
Wawa Permits

• Informative
Reactions: Seven7 and MarcoRP
UPDATE: In May 2020, the supercharger was back at the Winter Garden DRC for approval of a minor site plan alteration (agenda item #5): https://www.cwgdn.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Minutes/_05272020-605 [pdf]

So, still working its way through the planning side of things and not yet at the point where they are ready to apply for a building permit. But the number of further corrections are pretty small and all relatively little things. And, they shouldn't need to go back for another hearing as they were allowed to make the necessary changes and just have the planning staff sign-off on them.

Permit added to the city website. Finally some movement!

8798E639-92CF-4E0D-882C-598F217D7325.jpeg

A95D36AD-C877-4E30-B3CC-EA4B79ABF782.jpeg

Permit added to the city website. Finally some movement!
Nice. Thanks for keeping an eye on it for us. Looks like they just applied a few days ago on 2020-10-23 and the building and electrical permits are in the initial stages of plan review. If you click on "Plan Tracking Status" from the list on the left you'll be able to see any ongoing progress (so far there's just a listing of the date the application was entered for each subreview, no approvals yet).

Reactions: shonoff76
Looks like construction might be starting soon.
Thanks for the posting. It looks like Wawa is allowing Tesla's contractor to stage materials and that, of course, is a good sign. However, the permit is still in plan review and has not yet been approved. The permit application only has the General Contractor listed. It will need to have an assigned electrical contractor to proceed. This can happen quickly, but it nevertheless it is a prerequisite to breaking ground.

Larry

• Informative
Reactions: jrreno