TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Woburn, MA

Discussion in 'New England' started by emupilot, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

As of last weekend no sign of any supercharger construction(in Woburn)

2. JWardell

JWardell Member

I drove through today, Chick Fil-A is almost done, Grill 101 is open, but there is still no sign of supercharger construction. Most of the hotel and surrounding lot is still under heavy construction through so hopefully it will appear afterwards.
    I'm really wondering if this is still on the table, or if we see something in Lynn or Burlington (or all three?).
    Still really no superchargers on the north side of Boston. (I don't count any that are in a paid parking garage!)

3. yousexy

yousexy Member

Ditto

4. Nate977p

Nate977p Member

The 95 and Route 3 corridor is really weak. I'd rive there all the time and it is a huge gap, at least for me.

Also, I drove by yesterday to see, and they were tearing up the Chick-Fil-A lot in a way that looked like a SC, but it seemed too close to the restaurant...

• Like x 1
  5. JWardell

JWardell Member

I think they were installing conduit for the drive-through in back

6. Nate977p

Nate977p Member

Yeah it didn't make sense, but I was hopeful!

7. Nate977p

Nate977p Member

I drove by, that was definitely not the supercharger.

I drove around and honestly have no idea where they will go. There is a big lot by the side of hotel that seems to have some electrical run to it, but was too far away to know for sure.

8. Nate977p

Nate977p Member

Drove by yesterday. The plaza seems 100% minus the hotel and a dirt lot behind it. No signs of SC that I could see. Obviously if it is going there, be somewhere in the hotel lot; my guess behind Chik-Fil-A.

9. Farmer

Farmer Member

I drove around the outside of the construction fence Sunday and didn't see anything either. There is quite a bit of hardscape and other construction material for the hotel and grounds still stockpiled around what will be the hotel parking lot. My guess is that some of that needs to be used up and/or otherwise moved for yet to be completed projects so that the Supercharger area is clear to begin installation. The hotel building is pretty far along so I think all the stuff on the parking lot will start to move out and clear out soon too.

10. Nate977p

Nate977p Member

Exactly my thoughts. Hopefully V3:)

11. smahs

smahs Member

How sure are all of you that a SC is actually going into this spot? What proof do we have?

12. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

The most recent hard info for this location is from January 2018. Links to equivalent but slightly earlier documents can be found in the opening post of this thread. Since then, we've been assuming it's still planned but waiting for the primary construction in the area to be completed first. There hasn't been any other obvious activity, neither documentary nor physical. This is more-or-less exactly what one might expect to see if Tesla was going to build there but was waiting (e.g. for the construction to be completed first). It is also more-or-less exactly what one might expect to see if Tesla decided to drop the location. No way to distinguish between the two. Until we see some action or Woburn publishes another document referencing the project we're waiting in the dark.

• Informative x 1
  13. Nate977p

Nate977p Member

Just stopped by. Hotel exterior very close to done. Parking lot still has hotel components in it, no sign from my exploring, of power or any Tesla equipment.

• Informative x 1
  14. shadownddust

shadownddust Member

As much as I would love to have charging there on my daily commute, given that they're actively building out the Lynnfield stations now, I wouldn't be surprised if it was scrapped due to proximity. Would love to be wrong though.

15. Farmer

Farmer Member

#55 Farmer, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    I hope you're wrong. The Woburn station is a key location along I-93, not so much along 128/95, especially since the next Supercharger along 93 south of Woburn is the Cambridge one, the latter with pay parking only. 128/95 in the Woburn-Wakefield stretch gets jammed up regularly these days, owing to the 128/95 Reading lane drop northbound and the 128 to 93N ramp headed south on 128/95. It won't be all that easy for people going up and down 93 to detour to the Lynnfield Supercharger since that means going through the 128/95/93 interchange rather than simply getting off/on 93 via Montvale Ave if traffic that way is better.

16. shadownddust

shadownddust Member

100% agree and hope I’m wrong.

17. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

For me, the use case would be: I can snag some electrons on the way to Logan, let the car sit for a few days with Sentry Mode on, and then be able to steal some electrons on the way back home, without having to go into the city looking for a charger.

• Like x 1
  18. shadownddust

shadownddust Member

Anyone happen to swing by recently and can share progress?

19. Potatoee

Potatoee Member

Last I checked, no activity but have to admit that I'm not sure how long ago that was. Lynnefield is coming along nicely though

• Like x 1
  20. Potatoee

Potatoee Member