Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Woburn, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I-93 just became a bit more difficult in the short term, with the truck hitting the overpass at Roosevelt Circle in Medford.

That said, I live in Arlington in a condo so I can't rely on home charging. When I got serious about thinking about an electric car, I looked at the map of Tesla superchargers, and none were terribly convenient. Lexington is an easy run up Route 2, and that added to my comfort with choosing a Tesla.

IMG_4008.jpeg

I-93 just became a bit more difficult in the short term, with the truck hitting the overpass at Roosevelt Circle in Medford.

That said, I live in Arlington in a condo so I can't rely on home charging. When I got serious about thinking about an electric car, I looked at the map of Tesla superchargers, and none were terribly convenient. Lexington is an easy run up Route 2, and that added to my comfort with choosing a Tesla.

View attachment 686380
Hi neighbor,
I just saw the other day that some Electrify America fast chargers are being installed in Arlington Center municipal lot. The catch is you’ll need to buy the expensive adapter.

2B4E53B9-EECF-4508-A6AA-FFB0B1F8FB84.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: JWardell
@Paul2474 Tesla is putting in SuperChargers in Woburn (@ Target), Burlington (@ Burlington Mall), and Lexington (on I-95 rest stop)..... all not far from Arlington. You also have ones in Cambridge (although inside hte CambridgeSide Galleria parking lot) and Lynnfield. Plus, you have non-Tesla chargers in many places. Use PlugShare.com

With that said, I value my time to much. If I did not have home charging or couldn't charge at work, I would not buy an EV. No way would I want to spend time plugged in a few times a week. I appreciate the SuperChargers and such for road trips or times when I forget to charge at home or need a very fast top up.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1 and Holo
@Paul2474 Tesla is putting in SuperChargers in Woburn (@ Target), Burlington (@ Burlington Mall), and Lexington (on I-95 rest stop)..... all not far from Arlington. You also have ones in Cambridge (although inside the CambridgeSide Galleria parking lot) and Lynnfield. Plus, you have non-Tesla chargers in many places. Use PlugShare.com

With that said, I value my time to much. If I did not have home charging or couldn't charge at work, I would not buy an EV. No way would I want to spend time plugged in a few times a week. I appreciate the SuperChargers and such for road trips or times when I forget to charge at home or need a very fast top up.
I look at it a bit differently.
First, there is a a pair of ChargePoint units across the street in a municipal parking lot. If I go for coffee or head to a restaurant in town, I can just move my car to the charger and go about my business. If you are familiar with Arlington Center, there's a bunch of walk-to errands that can be conducted on foot from the municipal lot.

That said, I do enough consulting and phone conversations that I can just as easily sit at a supercharger and work as I can with my laptop on my couch. It's really no big deal to make an adjustment in my schedule so that, when I am traveling, I can build that time a little differently.

My current car lease expires this fall. I cannot, in good conscience, commit to another three years of an ICE car. I'm working with my condo association to bring charging capacity into the building. I'll work around the inconvenience.

I look at it a bit differently.
First, there is a a pair of ChargePoint units across the street in a municipal parking lot. If I go for coffee or head to a restaurant in town, I can just move my car to the charger and go about my business. If you are familiar with Arlington Center, there's a bunch of walk-to errands that can be conducted on foot from the municipal lot.

That said, I do enough consulting and phone conversations that I can just as easily sit at a supercharger and work as I can with my laptop on my couch. It's really no big deal to make an adjustment in my schedule so that, when I am traveling, I can build that time a little differently.

My current car lease expires this fall. I cannot, in good conscience, commit to another three years of an ICE car. I'm working with my condo association to bring charging capacity into the building. I'll work around the inconvenience.
Thank you. I'm beginning to have trouble understanding how someone can look at the fires and flooding and new high temperature records every day and think to themselves "nah, a few minutes a week of my time is more important."

The utility trench has been inspected and backfilled, but not paved over yet. There appears to be some grounds present in the conduits, but no power cables pulled yet. So it's still waiting for power cables, transformer and utility meter. At the utility manhole area, the trench is all filled up as well, so they must pull through and connect up in the manhole.

IMG_2984.JPG

Just stopped by and no updates from the weekend it seems.

Very excited for this charger! Fills a huge void. Once this and Tewksbury is up, they finally filled the huge gaps north of the city! That being said, I'm going to assume this will be one of, if not the most congested SC in MA (excluding Dedham as Tesla uses that one too last I knew).
20210805_072402.jpg
20210805_072404.jpg

The utility trench has been inspected and backfilled, but not paved over yet. There appears to be some grounds present in the conduits, but no power cables pulled yet. So it's still waiting for power cables, transformer and utility meter. At the utility manhole area, the trench is all filled up as well, so they must pull through and connect up in the manhole.

View attachment 690749
With my discovery of Brattleboro, VT V3's being under construction by Gordon Construction today, I wonder if this suggests the final work in Woburn will be delayed until they wrap up things in VT? I don't know how many crews Gordon operates, and if the electrical work is done by them as well or a partner electrical firm.

With my discovery of Brattleboro, VT V3's being under construction by Gordon Construction today, I wonder if this suggests the final work in Woburn will be delayed until they wrap up things in VT? I don't know how many crews Gordon operates, and if the electrical work is done by them as well or a partner electrical firm.

I would think pulling that utility feed and installing the transformer is something done by the Utility company (National Grid?), and that's probably what they are waiting for. All construction work appears to be done, other than repaving the trench. Once the transformer and meter is installed, Gordon or some other electrical contractor only needs to come back to connect the transformer to the system and then Tesla can come and commission it. Hopefully, there are no issues with National Grid on running the feed or installing the transformer.

I agree that the utility (Eversource services Woburn) is responsible for grid to transformer hookup. My thinking on potential delays was if the utility trench needed to be fully buttoned up by Gordon before they can call the utility in to drop the transformer and feed. Obviously not a functional requirement; not sure about code or eversource requirements. I do hope all Stoughton/Lexington/Woburn all get meters and inspectional signoff soon so that the Tesla commissioning team can come in and light up all three on the same trip.

Getting closer! Do you think that it will be live before Labor Day weekend?
Impossible to say. Depends on possible town inspection sign-off, Eversource doing their thing, and finally Tesla swinging by to commission (and not finding any issues). Last I heard the Tesla supercharger team covered a huge area, so when they hear a site is ready for them they work it into their schedule to do the next time they come through the area. My guess they might even delay a visit until all three under-construction (four if you include the V3 expansion in Brattleboro VT) are ready for them to light up.

I stopped by today and it is getting closer. I also see two 2-port ChargePoint Chargers on the end. Looks like it just needs the meter, so maybe one more inspection to go.

Attachments

• 20210906_132337_resized.jpg
    20210906_132337_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 20210906_132352_resized.jpg
    20210906_132352_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: mociaf9