Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wodonga VIC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger officially announced for Wodonga VIC at D Launch event at Avalon Airport on 11th August 2015
No indication at this time as to the physical location of the site.
Still on track to have the Superchargers in place to allow long distance travel between Melbourne and Sydney by the end of 2015 using the Supercharger network.

Sydney - Goulburn (~218km)
Goulburn - Gundagai (~181km)
Gundagai - Wodonga (~184km)
Wodonga - Melbourne (~329km)

Last edited:
Supercharger officially announced for Wodonga VIC at D Launch event at Avalon Airport on 11th August 2015
No indication at this time as to the physical location of the site.
Still on track to have the Superchargers in place to allow long distance travel between Melbourne and Sydney by the end of 2015 using the Supercharger network.

Sydney - Goulburn (~218km)
Goulburn - Gundagai (~181km)
Gundagai - Wodonga (~184)
Wodonga - Melbourne (~329km)

There will be the (nominal) Seymour site in between Wodonga and Melbourne still presumably. Given they didn't announce it though they might be fudging the 'Melb to Syd by end of 2015' achievement since cars could theoretically make it even without Seymour on line (but certainly not in a practical way, at least for 60s). Hopefully that's not the case and that site will be finished too.

I'm thinking about driving down for the All Energy conference in October. Is this practical at the moment? Would ideally like to be able to do it in a single day.

Any tips?

The Superchargers between Sydney and Melbourne are under construction and due to open by the end of the year. I doubt there'll be enough open by 7 Oct to drive Syd-Melb in one day unfortunately. But you should be able to do it by the end of the year.

Drove past the Wodonga Supercharger today. Seems like a great spot nearby to plenty of amenities. A number of workers on site, a brief chat revealed they expected the station to be operational by the end of the month. Exciting times.

IMG_2973.JPG

Here's an article with a heap of photos of the Wodonga supercharger.
It's getting very close to completion! Apparently it will appear on the in-car Nav map and the Tesla website as soon as it's live.

Tesla Supercharger in Wodonga taking shape | techAU

I haven't seen these boxes before, but then I haven't seen much of the sub-stations either as they have usually been inside a large enclosure from photos I have seen.
Could they be battery backup? Great stuff once again Kayto.

IMG_20150914_172056-900x628.jpg

I haven't seen these boxes before, but then I haven't seen much of the sub-stations either as they have usually been inside a large enclosure from photos I have seen.

I am reliably informed by an Electrical Engineer friend that they are "...the main power supply/transformer/management/brains of the supercharger. Each unit supports 2 x chargers".

No not batteries. These look the same as what is used in superchargers here in US (California).

Inside each of these cabinets is 12 x rectifier modules (AC->DC), which are basically the 'same' units as what you have inside your car except they're in a ~3RU type rack-mount enclosure.
Each rectifier is 40A (same as what is in a car), or 10KW, which is why supercharging can be up to 120KW instantaneous.

You can see pictures of it at Rare Look Inside Tesla Supercharger

If there's a question to ask the folks installing the Supercharger stuff, its whether they are using the newer superchargers that use liquid cooling in the DC cables between those rectifier and the car. Tesla retrofitted those to the Mountain View Supercharging station here in California (at the Computer History Museum) and its WAY IMPRESSIVE supercharging @ 120KW on a cable that really isn't that thick at all.