Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Woes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been discussed but I can't find a thread on it...

So I turn up at a Supercharger where there are 8 stalls but only 4 are able to support my Model 3 (CCS). There is a Model S on one of the CCS stalls and Model X on another (with a gap in between).

I go to charge in between them (therefore "sharing" with the Model S ) and the driver winds his window down and shouts angrily at me to "move to another stall as it will only give us slower speeds". I explain to him that I have no choice due to my car only able to use the CCS plug but he can use the other 4 none-CCS stalls which are available. He huffs and puffs and I ask him whether he is going to move to which he replies "No".

So it was fine for him to ask me to move but when I explained that I literally cannot charge at the other stalls he decides to let us both sit there "splitting" the charge rate. Although i considered it, I wasn't rude to him and just let him get on with it (had a game of 2048 and Beach Buggy to keep me occupied) but I was wondering what other people think the etiquette should be here; and whether anyone else has run into anything like this and what happened?

Hopefully this isn't a long-term problem as Superchargers are all upgraded but for now I think there needs to be a public service announcement to Models S and X owners to let them know!

That's just damn right rude..

When I collected my car from the SC I was told that all Model S/X drivers should be fully aware and actually move the car if there wasn't any CCS plugs available. Apparently if they refuse to then a call to a SC can actually cut them off from charging (not sure how true that is..?).

Appreciate that's a different situation to what you had as there was a CCS plug available but the Model S owner shouldn't have reacted the way he did.

They should have made it clear with a poster or something like that, what the situation is in places where they haven’t upgraded all of the charges. Poor education of the situation can only be blamed on Tesla

Reactions: Watts_Up
If all the other stalls are taken, model 3 owners will just have to wait their turn, first come first served and all that. Plus the model S and Xs are the premium models that cost twice as much, why should they move mid charge? I wouldn’t move until my charge is complete.

Think you misunderstood, Model S/X owners should only move if there is a free stall that hasn't been converted to CCS and they are using one. If no other stalls are available then totally agree, people would need to wait.

So I turn up at a Supercharger where there are 8 stalls but only 4 are able to support my Model 3 (CCS). There is a Model S on one of the CCS stalls and Model X on another (with a gap in between).

I go to charge in between them (therefore "sharing" with the Model S ) and the driver winds his window down and shouts angrily at me to "move to another stall as it will only give us slower speeds". I explain to him that I have no choice due to my car only able to use the CCS plug but he can use the other 4 none-CCS stalls which are available. He huffs and puffs and I ask him whether he is going to move to which he replies "No".

So it was fine for him to ask me to move but when I explained that I literally cannot charge at the other stalls he decides to let us both sit there "splitting" the charge rate. Although i considered it, I wasn't rude to him and just let him get on with it (had a game of 2048 and Beach Buggy to keep me occupied) but I was wondering what other people think the etiquette should be here; and whether anyone else has run into anything like this and what happened?

Hopefully this isn't a long-term problem as Superchargers are all upgraded but for now I think there needs to be a public service announcement to Models S and X owners to let them know!

Not sure about European Superchargers, but for US ones, the second user never steals charge from the first. The second user only gets the leftovers from the first.

They should have made it clear with a poster or something like that, what the situation is in places where they haven’t upgraded all of the charges. Poor education of the situation can only be blamed on Tesla

Agree with you in principles but even when I explained it to him he refused to move (despite previously being shouty at me for "splitting"!).

More I think about it the more I think common sense should prevail and he was just a bit of an @r5e... I'm sure he wasn't a member of this forum

If all the other stalls are taken, model 3 owners will just have to wait their turn, first come first served and all that. Plus the model S and Xs are the premium models that cost twice as much, why should they move mid charge? I wouldn’t move until my charge is complete.

I completely agree. But there were 4 chargers available (that wouldn't have even split the charge) that he could use and I couldn't - and yet he refused to move!

I'd tell the guy to get lost and to move because these are meant to be priority for Model 3, Tesla should also adjust the software to give more charge to the Model 3 if both are in use.

Yes its very annoying if you happen to be in the Midlands/North West you are likely to be hit by this, I have turned up several times now when an S is or has just started charging in 1 of 2 CCS bays when all other non CCS are free, even worst is when there is another model 3 there and its a 2 stall, I then have to wait for the S to move when all the other stalls are free!

I blame Tesla for not informing the S/X owners to be considerate but also they should have converted the 2 and 4 stall ones by now even though I know a large percentage have been completed it doesn't help the people who need to use the non completed ones...

The only good news is that a site was recently converted in less than 24 Hours so its possible more are on their way so this issue no longer exists!

It's not the case of all stalls being taken up, its a case of the S/X users using the only CCS stalls when the non CCS ones ARE available.

When I collected my car from the SC I was told that all Model S/X drivers should be fully aware and actually move the car if there wasn't any CCS plugs available. Apparently if they refuse to then a call to a SC can actually cut them off from charging (not sure how true that is..?).

Tesla have done nothing to inform S/X users apart from some sites apparently having model 3 priority stickers not that I have seen any!

A simple message could have informed them but no nothing!

I hope you are joking? I pay more tax than the average person but it doesn’t give me the right to priority from public services... *sigh*

I’d always move if there is a free bay. It’s all of what a few extra minutes to move otherwise just damned rude.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
<In my best fake Lordhsip voice> "Damned young whippersnappers coming along in their cheap toy electrics and getting in my way, harumph! I should take a horsewhip to the lout trying to park his rubbish next to my real Tesla." </voice>

..life's too short..;)
I will start to turn around his/her car and take pictures and videos, just to annoy this person.
And (pretend to or not) make phone call in front of this person to the service center to explain the situation.

..life's too short..;)

Question: why did Tesla install 2 chargers per power bank if for them both not to be used? Seems a waste of money if one person is plugged into charger "A" and these people won't or get very annoyed for "B" be used?

If it's the only available one you can use, use it.

If I was plugged in to A and someone want to use the one next to me and none available, feel free that's what it's there for.

I had a similar situation, but with the opposite outcome, at Woodhall South on the way home from Stockport a few weeks ago.

First of all I pulled up at a non-CCS stall :oops: I quickly realised how that was going to end...

I checked where the two CCS stalls were, and moved over to them. While I was moving a Model X pulled in to one of the CCS stalls. I moved to the other.

Unfortunately the one I’d picked was broken, and by the time I figured this out the X was coupled up to the other one!

I went round to speak to the X driver, and explained he was now using my only available charger, and he immediately offered to move to one of the other stalls. A really nice guy.

This guy knew nothing about the difference between the CCS and non-CCS chargers. I think it would be a good idea for Tesla to send all owners an bulletin explaining the situation, either by email or on the car screen.

Question: why did Tesla install 2 chargers per power bank if for them both not to be used? Seems a waste of money if one person is plugged into charger "A" and these people won't or get very annoyed for "B" be used?

If it's the only available one you can use, use it.

If I was plugged in to A and someone want to use the one next to me and none available, feel free that's what it's there for.
Also this can ceate some kind of confusion, for the majority of users not aware of it:

- Charger [A] occupied, so I plug using Charger and the display shows
"Charging completed in 60 minutes". So plenty of time to have a lunch.

- Then after 5 minutes, the user of Charger [A] left.
Would I receive then a new alert with completion in 15 minutes then?

What an ignorant and rude person. And not a behaviour I have previously seen at Superchargers over the last three years we have had our S. Normally everyone’s very friendly in my experience...

Main point - the first car to start charging at a shared stall will get as much as it wants. Any left overs go to the second car to plug in. So joining another car that is already charging will not affect them. Depending on their state of charge (and yours) it may not affect your rate either. Although it probably will 8 times out of 10 your rate should rise quite quickly as their car fills.

Secondary point - this problem will go away once all bays are equipped with dual cables. Hopefully not too much longer now.

Also this can ceate some kind of confusion, for the majority of users not aware of it:

- Charger [A] occupied, so I plug using Charger and the display shows
"Charging completed in 60 minutes". So plenty of time to have a lunch.

- Then after 5 minutes, the user of Charger [A] left.
Would I receive then a new alert with completion in 15 minutes then?

Yes. Exactly that happened our first time supercharging. We thought we were going to have a 50+ minute break, ended up at 20 mins when the first car left. We then seemed to keep that charge rate when another arrived, and presumably when we left, they got the boost. So neither stall seem to get priority other than the car that started charging first.

I think that works out quite fair, especially as when power starts to taper down, I presume 2nd stall starts getting a boost.