Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't say Woodbridge is easy to get to either. Depends a lot on time of day - that whole Springfield/Woodbridge area is pretty consistently dreadful.

It will likely be around 7:00am so it should be good. I'm guessing the 15 minute claims are during busy shopping and/or dining hours.

I think I have now decided on making Woodbridge our first stop. Thanks for all of the feedback.

Woodbridge is "bad" because Tesla navigation tells you to take Prince William Parkway and Telegraph Road, which adds 10-20 minutes round-trip. Going southbound, the charger is 3-5 minutes from the freeway via the Dale City exit, and going northbound the freeway is 3-5 minutes from the charger using the Opitz Blvd entrance ramp. Gideon Drive is usually pretty tame.

Super-congested times are rare on these routes. Woodbridge is a far better option than Laurel in almost any circumstance.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g and gavine
Woodbridge is "bad" because Tesla navigation tells you to take Prince William Parkway and Telegraph Road, which adds 10-20 minutes round-trip. Going southbound, the charger is 3-5 minutes from the freeway via the Dale City exit, and going northbound the freeway is 3-5 minutes from the charger using the Opitz Blvd entrance ramp. Gideon Drive is usually pretty tame.

Super-congested times are rare on these routes. Woodbridge is a far better option than Laurel in almost any circumstance.

The worst traffic is generally on 95, in my experience. When you have to take Route 1 around mix-master-congestion, it's nice to have the big map view when trying to figure out which is the least inconvenient approach - but that's just life in DC.

I drove by Tuesday afternoon on my way from DC to Durham NC. There was a crew working on the site at the time; I didn't want to disturb them so I just took one photo of the equipment. They weren't really anywhere near the photo; they were digging off-camera to the left, on the far end, i.e. in front of the stall that's closest to the mall.

Interestingly, I see a 5th supercharger cabinet in the photo on the left that looks a little different from the other 4 (and is also open on the bottom). I think it would be strange to only add 2 stalls here, so I wonder if either (a) there's another set of cabinets behind the ones in the photo, or (b) they haven't added more yet because they need to expand the fenced area or make other changes to the site first. I suppose possibility (c) is they only have enough power / space / permission for 2 more stalls. I didn't notice the 5th cabinet till I looked at the photo that night, otherwise I might've looked from a couple different angles.

Attachments

• IMG_7897.JPG
    IMG_7897.JPG
    517.6 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Tyl and MMC-
pg 8 post 145 shows there is only room for one more supercharger for five total. That would allow two more pedestals to be added without a major re-do... just add two pedestals to make a total of 10.

Your photo shows the 5th supercharger which is indeed slightly different from the other four. All new supercharger are of this type.

They must be adding two more charging pedestals. Great!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: paulkva
pg 8 post 145 shows there is only room for one more supercharger for five total. That would allow two more pedestals to be added without a major re-do... just add two pedestals to make a total of 10.

Your photo shows the 5th supercharger which is indeed slightly different from the other four. All new supercharger are of this type.

They must be adding two more charging pedestals. Great!

Ah, good catch. I clearly did NOT go back and re-read this whole thread before posting my photo. :D Yeah, that photo from 3.5 years ago shows clearly that they left room for a 5th cabinet and therefore expected to eventually add 2 more stalls. Given the amount of chain link fencing around the area, though, I do still wonder if they're going to expand any more aggressively than that...

It sure looks to me like they are preparing for an additional chargers (two currently under construction and the more on the opposite side)

The power unit has five power line stubs coming out. Try appear to be destined for the chargers under construction and then more run down the far side of where the existing chargers are located. The fencing also suggests more work is planned for the other side.

The two new stalls are definitely the newer style.
IMG_20171028_130134.jpg
IMG_20171028_130315.jpg
IMG_20171028_130121.jpg
IMG_20171028_130043.jpg
IMG_20171028_130409.jpg