TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Woodburn, OR

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by PLUS EV, Aug 18, 2017.

1. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

Starting a new thread for this old supercharger.

If you use this supercharger in the next few days, please provide information such as number of stalls in use, length of line, time of day and/or wait time. This supercharger will likely get extremely busy with eclipse traffic and any information would be helpful.

Personally I am trying to just act as if this supercharger doesn't even exist since I think it will be such a chokepoint for the eclipse. But I may use it on the way home if it's not too busy. I would encourage everyone to avoid this one if possible to help alleviate charger congestion.

2. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

Any congestion at this supercharger last couple days? Any report would be appreciated.

3. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I haven't been there in almost a year. I would check in personally if I was close by (I'm about 40 miles north). According to the supercharger app for iOS, there have been 2 check ins today. At 11:57AM someone said there was a line. There was a check in a couple of hours ago with no comment.

On PlugShare.com there have been three check ins today. The most recent said "All full, but small line".

4. geekbox32

geekbox32 New Member

Pulled into about 10 mins ago and all the chargers are full and currently 3 cars waiting. I'm charging super slow at 8kw on 1A though

5. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

8kW ugh... Thanks for the info though.

6. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

4 Teslas charging here at 3am. A few other Teslas are also parked in this lot.

7. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

EDIT: There were actually 5 including myself, charging when I left and 5 other Teslas parked in the lot. Should be a busy day here after the eclipse!

8. f-stop

f-stop Member

At Woodburn SC now (5:15am). Stalls all full but was 1st in line, only had to wait a couple min for one to open up and another cleared before I plugged in so turnover good. More Teslas arriving now

• Informative x 1
  9. Moorebid

Moorebid Member

I got there about 20 minutes before totality; the place was packed – not just the Superchargers, but the entire lot – Teslas as far as the eye could see! (See the first picture.)

I kept driving into residential land and found a nice gravel lot off the side of the road on the edge of some well-treed land for viewing both the eclipse (mind-blowing) and the shadows it creates through leaves. Shortly after totality, a kitten started mewing rather intently in the bushes/forest; as I was trying to get closer, I stumbled across what appeared to be a homeless encampment, along with some skeletal remains that… may have been human. I had to call it in, so that probably kept me an extra hour or so – which was fine since traffic going back to the freeway was jam-packed for awhile.

By the time I got back to the Superchargers, they were all still taken – but after striking up a conversation with the nearby peoples, I learned that I was third in line… and during that conversation it seemed like I barely waited at all, but it was probably close to 15 minutes. I was only getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 kW or so (understandable given that all 8 stations were in use), but I only needed a top-off from 70%, so that gave me enough time to eat my Arby's smoked porchetta sandwich at a comfortable pace. When I finally finished, my car was at 97% and there were now at least 4 more cars waiting to get in.

I took the second picture as I was just about to leave; that's my Sig Red on the right. Oh, BTW, this was my first SC experience – I just picked up the car last Saturday. It was a patience-trying experience, but a pleasant one nonetheless.

The drive home, OTOH… well, that's another experience.

Attached Files:

10. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Your first supercharger experience was on the busiest day in the history of superchargering in the Northwest. I've been to Woodburn a few times and it's usually very quiet with maybe one or two cars charging.

Sounds like you found a good, out of the way spot. I did just scan the local news for the last week and there are no reports of human remains being found around Woodburn, so it may have been something else.

I wonder if you got the sig red S that belonged to someone else here on the forum. He lives in Vancouver, WA and traded in his sig red S for a new one a few months ago.

11. geekbox32

geekbox32 New Member

Hey I recognize a few people in that photo, mainly myself and my wife =p. I think i remember seeing your car pull in quickly and left. You should of pulled up the chargers and waited for one of the chargers opened up. At one point there we 3 cars lined up waiting for a charge and all of them were able to get a charge before totality started.
    It was a pretty much a Telsa meetup / eclipse viewing party all morning. I know I had an awesome time that morning.

12. Moorebid

Moorebid Member

Oh, I fully expected that – I knew this was going to be an ordeal, I just didn't expect it to be as easy to get down there as it was – which in turn surprised me with how difficult it was getting out. :p

They did tell me it would be a few days before they could confirm anything (assuming they could identify the remains and notify next of kin – there was no skull nearby, so that might be difficult), but if I hadn't heard anything back after about a week, it was probably "nothing."

I ordered it 2 months ago, and it was listed as being in Seattle at the time (and also got about 8K miles put on it from the time it was listed to the time it was delivered… :-\), but anything's possible.

I gladly would've stuck around if I could've found a place to park other than the handicap spot in front of the Arby's; but I was a man on a mission, looking for a solid tree to catch the shadows of the eclipse through – Supercharging was secondary.