Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Yakima, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove by the Fred Meyer near N. 40th, where I previously thought the SC might go. Still no changes, but the area (Google Maps ), is still perfect, right next to overhead 3-phase power and outer parking area, unlikely to be ICED.

Reactions: DaveD
Is it even possible for our North America cars to use CCS since our charge ports done have the circles? Can an adapter even be made?

It could be possible depending on the hardware that's in the DC charger. Tesla made adapters for the EU market for the S/X, BUT, they also required a hardware upgrade to the charger in the car.

Since Model 3 ships to EU with CCS already, there's a chance the charger is compatible with CCS and they just didn't switch the plug because our US supercharger network isn't planning a switch to CCS anytime soon.

Still would rather have a Supercharger in Yakima, I think that would go along way for SR+ owners coming BACK from Seattle. Instead of hitting Cle Elum around ~50% (Already hitting the tapper when supercharging) you could hit Yakima around 25% and hit the peak charge rate and only need to charge probably to 50% SOC to make it back to the Tri Cities.

It could be possible depending on the hardware that's in the DC charger. Tesla made adapters for the EU market for the S/X, BUT, they also required a hardware upgrade to the charger in the car.

Since Model 3 ships to EU with CCS already, there's a chance the charger is compatible with CCS and they just didn't switch the plug because our US supercharger network isn't planning a switch to CCS anytime soon.

Still would rather have a Supercharger in Yakima, I think that would go along way for SR+ owners coming BACK from Seattle. Instead of hitting Cle Elum around ~50% (Already hitting the tapper when supercharging) you could hit Yakima around 25% and hit the peak charge rate and only need to charge probably to 50% SOC to make it back to the Tri Cities.

Yeah. I went to Prosser this pst weekend and charged to 99% at cle elum. Car sat in Prosser for 2 days and I was surprised how many miles it sucked down on the way back to Seattle. Arrived back at cle elum with only 23 miles left (ellensburg was full). I have a LR RWD. Left Prosser with like 165 miles of range left. It’s like 105 miles to cle elum so lost about 40 extra miles of range.

Yeah. I went to Prosser this pst weekend and charged to 99% at cle elum. Car sat in Prosser for 2 days and I was surprised how many miles it sucked down on the way back to Seattle. Arrived back at cle elum with only 23 miles left (ellensburg was full). I have a LR RWD. Left Prosser with like 165 miles of range left. It’s like 105 miles to cle elum so lost about 40 extra miles of range.

I did a quick day trip up to Spokane and noticed I'm at about 260 watt/mile (doing about 75 mph, maybe a little more at times, HVAC on to cool to about 70 to 72F, outside started at about 88F and decreased to about 82F when I hit Spokane). That means I probably have a max of 192 miles on my SR+, realistically maybe more like 180 miles as the battery ages. Now granted that's at 75 mph... I probably could decrease the speed to 70 and maybe get down to 250 watt/mile... not sure how much more I would gain if I slowed to 65 mph, but that might be something I have to do at times during the winter...

As much as I love Sentry mode, I'll probably turn that off unless I'm plugged in charging or know I'll be able to hit a charger before leaving. Otherwise phantom drain can be pretty decent (10+ miles a day). With Sentry off my car goes to sleep pretty quick and phantom drain is like less than two miles a day.

I did a quick day trip up to Spokane and noticed I'm at about 260 watt/mile (doing about 75 mph, maybe a little more at times, HVAC on to cool to about 70 to 72F, outside started at about 88F and decreased to about 82F when I hit Spokane). That means I probably have a max of 192 miles on my SR+, realistically maybe more like 180 miles as the battery ages. Now granted that's at 75 mph... I probably could decrease the speed to 70 and maybe get down to 250 watt/mile... not sure how much more I would gain if I slowed to 65 mph, but that might be something I have to do at times during the winter...

As much as I love Sentry mode, I'll probably turn that off unless I'm plugged in charging or know I'll be able to hit a charger before leaving. Otherwise phantom drain can be pretty decent (10+ miles a day). With Sentry off my car goes to sleep pretty quick and phantom drain is like less than two miles a day.

Yeah for sure. It was a combo of going 75mph and up those ridges/hills from Prosser to cle elum. And yeah actually when I had sentry mode off I lost literally 0 miles and with it on I lost just under 1 mile per hour.

I had to take 821 a few weeks ago when WB/NB I-82 was closed due to a brush fire. What a GEM! Definitely recommend it you have 20 minutes to spare!
I always take that route when driving I-82. Even on a summer Sunday with all the crazy river floaters shuttling back and forth, it’s still much more enjoyable than three giant hills and no view. Highway 240 thought Mattawa was being chip sealed much of the summer, and that’s about as bad as it gets for driving, so I’ve been using I-82. Unfortunately, still no sign of a SC in Yakima.

Reactions: lnsh
Is there any actual speculation of a location? Or are you just saying that based on thinking that every new site will be V3?
Sorry, I should have added my explanation above. When I picked up my Y, my advisor gave me a lowdown on charging and explained the V3 chargers that are rolling out. He said there may be one in Yakima and then said it may not be up yet.

Sorry, I should have added my explanation above. When I picked up my Y, my advisor gave me a lowdown on charging and explained the V3 chargers that are rolling out. He said there may be one in Yakima and then said it may not be up yet.

Thats.... something. But don’t get your hopes up, Tesla moves wildly slow sometimes with superchargers from announcing to actually building...

With that said, my neighbor was at the Moses Lake supercharger with his Raven S and recognized the Tesla employee that was there. While talking, the employee mentioned he had to head out to Montana to commission a string of sites and then he would get to return back and take care of a couple more Washington sites. Yakima was specifically mentioned as being online by Thanksgiving.

I don’t put a huge amount of faith into it, but my neighbor actually recognized the employee and knew him by name so I have no reason to not believe either of them. Also, it matches what currently seems to be happening in Montana so.... maybe?

With that said, my neighbor was at the Moses Lake supercharger with his Raven S and recognized the Tesla employee that was there. While talking, the employee mentioned he had to head out to Montana to commission a string of sites and then he would get to return back and take care of a couple more Washington sites. Yakima was specifically mentioned as being online by Thanksgiving.

I don’t put a huge amount of faith into it, but my neighbor actually recognized the employee and knew him by name so I have no reason to not believe either of them. Also, it matches what currently seems to be happening in Montana so.... maybe?

maybe, and it feels good. I would recognize the guys, though, as there are only a couple ;) bringing those sites online (Helena, great falls, the surprise one at big sky, miles city, Glendive) would be a good indication of the truth of that. By thanksgiving would be amazing.