Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Yakima, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Approximately the first eight pages of this thread are a merge of two different threads for the Yakima, WA Supercharger.

As the thread title says this is purely speculative although it's been on the coming soon list for almost a year now. Stumbled onto this permit, maybe that's why Ellensburg is not being expanded as quickly as it should? Anyone nearby this location would be kind enough to check out the scale and scope of the project? Possibly just a regular J1772 or Destination Charger...

upload_2018-4-24_20-57-52.png

upload_2018-4-24_21-1-57.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Often a reasonable assumption, but I would think in a non-urban area it would be more likely than otherwise to be an SC. will see what PLUS EV's recon mission finds!
Also superchargers are more likely to require trenching. Seems like a lot of effort to go to just to install an HPWC or J1772.

It's also right near a freeway exit and Holiday Inn has been a common partner business in the western US. There are some amenities within walking distance. This is also an area of low Tesla density which could explain why it's gone under the radar up to this point.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Definitely no supercharger activity at this location. In fact, it would be a horrible spot for a supercharger. I had forgotten how sketchy parts of Yakima are lol. I'm no longer that familiar with the city and not really sure where they should put it. Maybe there is a mall that would host and would at least have 24 hour security. Either that or some place on Nob Hill Ave rather than Yakima Ave.

Definitely no supercharger activity at this location. In fact, it would be a horrible spot for a supercharger. I had forgotten how sketchy parts of Yakima are lol. I'm no longer that familiar with the city and not really sure where they should put it. Maybe there is a mall that would host and would at least have 24 hour security. Either that or some place on Nob Hill Ave rather than Yakima Ave.

I grew up in Yakima, and I agree and always stayed away from this area. The side west of 16th Ave is completely different and never feels unsafe. I've been expecting the Supercharger to go in at Fred Meyer on 40th Ave, which is right next to Highway 12. It is slightly out of the way for those traveling on I-82, though.

Ok, a little off topic, but.....there will be a grand opening of a 50 KW Dual DCQC (Chademo/CCS) at 51 Firing Center Road, Yakima at the Firing Center Chevron Bullseye Burgers and More (I-82 exit 26). The host is planning free food, drink and entertainment for the event. If you can, please post this on any Seattle-based social media and try attend if you're in the area or traveling through. Sam Ali, the host, is known for customer appreciation and promotional events and I'm sure it will be very festive.

No, unfortunately, this is NOT a SC, but rather an extension of the WA Electric Highways, partially funded through our $150/yr license fee. This will be a single, dual-headed Chademo/CCS DCQC, with service provided for possible future expansion to two stations. There will be nine additional locations in Eastern WA and nine additional stations on I-5. More info here:
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/0DED5F62-5C83-456A-BD26-6176941A5F29/0/EVIPP_NOPA.pdf

Are these free chargers? I assume so since they are pre-paid by tax dollars
The chargers will be free for a certain period of time, maybe a few months. When I talked to the GreenLots representative a few months back, they were still working out the rate structure, but I would expect the cost to be similar to others around the state (e.g., $5-10/QC, $1-$2/hr L2). Also, even when free, you will need the GreenLots App, RFID card, or call their 1-800 number. The Kennewick station was still free last week or so, and it's been open since May. EDIT: GreenLots is also looking for business sponsors for the electrical costs, so if you use a business next to one of the chargers, let them know why you are there, and pass the info on to GreenLots.

The stations are being partially funded by the $150 EV registration fee, the local utilities, and maybe even Energy Northwest (head of EVITA group) and GreenLots. Since Eastern WA has very low EV-density, there is very little incentive (future revenue) for building charging networks and, as such, most commercial networks have focused on EV-rich areas (Seattle, Bay Area, LA, etc.). I think this current 9-location build is to help WSDOT expand the Electric Highway System, essentially looking bigger area wise, not necessarily where the higher density of EV drivers exist. With this Yakima station and one more at Prosser, the older 24 KWh EV models will be able to travel the major interstates (e.g., Seattle-Spokane-Tricities Triangle and Bellingham-Vancouver I-5 corridor). We're still lacking connection to some ocean beaches, several passes (Mt. Rainier, White, 20), some of the Gorge, and most of the remaining rural areas (NE/NC/SE). It's taken 7+ years, but we're finally starting to see a rudimentary DCQC system forming (non-Tesla).

Looks like the EA station is open now. Too bad we don't have a 125kw CCS adapter... Would make a super charger here almost unnecessary.

Looks like the EA station is open now. Too bad we don't have a 125kw CCS adapter... Would make a super charger here almost unnecessary.

Can we even use these stations if we don’t have the chademo adapter?