Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Yermo, CA (LIVE 21 Nov 2017, 18 V2 Stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yermo is now completely fenced off.

Got a kick out of the fact they were literally putting the cherry on top of the giant ice cream soda when I was driving by.
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_4728.JPG
IMG_5856.JPG
IMG_5529.JPG

That's hysterical! How is the construction going at Eddie's World? Given, that may be a rate-limiting step.

Isn't it interesting how all the gas stalls have an awning, when ICE cars are in and out in minutes, yet the Supercharger stalls are exposed? Definitely backwards, but we are on the fringe of a culture change.

• Love
Reactions: abasile and Ulmo
That's hysterical! How is the construction going at Eddie's World? Given, that may be a rate-limiting step.

I think it is interesting that these two stops (Baker / Yermo) will be shared with gas stations. I think there will be a lot of window shopping, questions, education, etc.

The weather was not on my side when I made the trip up to Vegas last week. However. Eddie's World is right next to the freeway so I was able to get a visual. It's markedly changed even in a week. I almost want to say the stucco was not there a week ago, but, I was quite focused on the road and its conditions.

I am pretty certain the ice cream float was not there or it was under wraps. I would have remembered / saw that for sure.

It's looks like it's progressing quickly. I hope the fact they are working on it on a Saturday shows them in the final push. However. My construction knowledge is zippo.

There are also billboards on the way back from Vegas saying something to the point of "Eddie's World. We are building clean rest rooms for you. Snacks. Candies and some other word I forget" with a picture of a toilet.

Interior will take a good long while, but at this pace, it looks like they probably already started that. Interior electrical, plumbing, equipment, finish, more equipment, more electrical and plumbing, more finish, then furniture, paperwork, cleaning, setup, testing, fixing, cleaning, first batches, hiring, training, price menus, cash registers, paperwork, deliveries, and ribbon cutting ... it could be a good long while.

Interior will take a good long while, but at this pace, it looks like they probably already started that. Interior electrical, plumbing, equipment, finish, more equipment, more electrical and plumbing, more finish, then furniture, paperwork, cleaning, setup, testing, fixing, cleaning, first batches, hiring, training, price menus, cash registers, paperwork, deliveries, and ribbon cutting ... it could be a good long while.

So maybe this coming Monday?

RT

The Eddie World website is advertising for only one position. This looks like a head honcho position. This being the case it sounds like the opening would be after they have hired a multitude of employees. I also suspect they will bring in an experience team from their other location to recruit, employ train at this new site. Probably only takes a week to train low skill workers. That they are waiting until now to recruit a local Boss is disconcerting. I wonder if they had someone who backed out at the last minute? But the fact that they have apparently not hired anyone locally would argue that the grand opening is still some time away.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Great progress!
Wonder if they'll finish by Thanksgiving. I'll be headed to Vegas then and was wondering if I take the S or the Ice.
With the recent expansion of Barstow and the addition of S Las Vegas, you should be fine. Yermo is just a bonus right now, though will be a requirement later with the Model 3's on the road.

The biggest issue with Las Vegas is the Sunday traffic coming back. 2 years ago, I thought I would get a jump on it and left at 9:30am. It took me 7 hours to get back to LA. It was awful. Last year, also on Thanksgiving weekend, I left at 6:30 and still hit significant traffic! The 15, for the most part, has the same number of lanes as it did 30 years ago, yet with many more cars. They have done some expansion closer to LV, but far insufficient. I simply will not make that drive home on the end holiday weekend, supercharger expansion or not.

With the recent expansion of Barstow and the addition of S Las Vegas, you should be fine. Yermo is just a bonus right now, though will be a requirement later with the Model 3's on the road.

The biggest issue with Las Vegas is the Sunday traffic coming back. 2 years ago, I thought I would get a jump on it and left at 9:30am. It took me 7 hours to get back to LA. It was awful. Last year, also on Thanksgiving weekend, I left at 6:30 and still hit significant traffic! The 15, for the most part, has the same number of lanes as it did 30 years ago, yet with many more cars. They have done some expansion closer to LV, but far insufficient. I simply will not make that drive home on the end holiday weekend, supercharger expansion or not.

Go through Mojave National Preserve for a much nicer drive. Just south of the state line, get off at Nipton Road and turn left. In about 2 miles turn right onto Ivanpah Road for a couple more miles, then right again onto Morningstar Mine Road. At Cima this becomes Kelso Cima Road and takes you to Kelso Depot, the visitor center for Mojave National Preserve. Just past the depot turn left onto Kelbaker Road and take it to I-40.

I-15 mess avoided, and you get to see a historic railroad depot and some beautiful scenery as well. To get back to Yermo you can get off I-40 at Newberry Springs and take the National Old trails Road (Route 66) west, then north on Minneola Road to Yermo Road.

Go through Mojave National Preserve for a much nicer drive. Just south of the state line, get off at Nipton Road and turn left. In about 2 miles turn right onto Ivanpah Road for a couple more miles, then right again onto Morningstar Mine Road. At Cima this becomes Kelso Cima Road and takes you to Kelso Depot, the visitor center for Mojave National Preserve. Just past the depot turn left onto Kelbaker Road and take it to I-40.

I-15 mess avoided, and you get to see a historic railroad depot and some beautiful scenery as well. To get back to Yermo you can get off I-40 at Newberry Springs and take the National Old trails Road (Route 66) west, then north on Minneola Road to Yermo Road.
Love this! Thanks!

Love this! Thanks!
There are a ton of options including driving down through Needles and 29 Palms. It's 2 hours slower than the normal route on a day with no traffic, but if the traffic is really bad and/or you really hate sitting in traffic, it's worth looking into. You also get the opportunity to see some new scenery on a different route.

Of course a lot of it depends on where in the LA area you are trying to get to and how bad the traffic is. I have seen times when the traffic is backed up heading south on I-15 before you even get to the CA border, so in those cases, taking the Nipton Road only helps so much. My above path through Needles and 29 Palms is a significant diversion, but it is fairly traffic proof.

My general strategy has always been to avoid driving at that time whenever possible, but if I have to do it, I take one of the weird desert routes and try to enjoy the drive!

Reactions: abasile
Of course a lot of it depends on where in the LA area you are trying to get to and how bad the traffic is. I have seen times when the traffic is backed up heading south on I-15 before you even get to the CA border, so in those cases, taking the Nipton Road only helps so much. My above path through Needles and 29 Palms is a significant diversion, but it is fairly traffic proof.

My general strategy has always been to avoid driving at that time whenever possible, but if I have to do it, I take one of the weird desert routes and try to enjoy the drive!
Exactly. The last two times I got stuck in traffic were both before hitting Primm.

Exactly. The last two times I got stuck in traffic were both before hitting Primm.

That is the roughest part. Las Vegas Blvd. can get you to Jean, but it dead-ends a little south of there so you have to get on I-15 at Jean and there is no alternate route until Nipton Road, unless you want to go southeast from Vegas and take US 95 down to Searchlight. The other end of Nipton Road is in Searchlight, so you can head west from there, or stay on 95 into California and then take Goffs Road west to Goffs (historic restored schoolhouse and outdoor museum - great place to stop!) and thence onward to I-40.

I’m a little concerned about the continuing progress at Eddies World. Just went by last Friday and there were no workers there . Only one black sedan. Everything looks almost ready but little changed for a month. Everything paved, Superchargers installed but finish work on the facade and portico are not done. It looks to me like there is some holdup. They are not hiring yet. Work appears to have stopped. Funding dry up? Permit issue? Red Tape? Financial problems? Something is off. It just does not look like there is any sign of pushing for an opening anytime soon. Frankly almost looks like an abandoned project. I’ve seen that before in the desert.

I’m a little concerned about the continuing progress at Eddies World. ... Frankly almost looks like an abandoned project. I’ve seen that before in the desert.
Yes, we have all seen that. I would still hesitate to jump to that conclusion. It has only been a few weeks since the last confirmed on-site work (see above on Sept 16th). It is also entirely possible more work has occurred since that we have not documented. Typically, the finishing touches are the slowest to complete.

Reactions: Ulmo

Just doing some quick calculations, the only problem is charging on that route. Looks to be around 210 miles.

That's cutting it way too close with a 60-75.