Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ypsilanti, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until announced publicly, this serves as the placeholder thread for the Ypsilanti, Michigan Supercharger location. I had a conversation with a higher-up at DTE who confirmed that Superchargers are coming to many Meijer locations in the E/SE Michigan area, and this Ypsilanti Meijer location is indeed one of them.

Location (estimated):
42.234319, -83.677916
Number of Stalls (estimated): 8

This location will be about a 6 minute drive from US-23 or I-94.

The Midwest region of the US, and frankly much of Southeast Michigan, is about to get a lot of much needed V3 250kW love. There are DTE plans for Northville, Bad Axe, Ypsilanti, etc. At present moment, the Livonia and Ann Arbor Superchargers are almost always at half capacity or more between 9am and 5pm, 7 days a week. V2 stalls are definitely last decade's advancement, and V3 is making waves in the new one. My contact at DTE claims Tesla have themselves communicated every (or most every) Meijer will eventually have a Tesla charger, which seems likely, because Meijer has been installing V3 quite aggressively lately.

I wanted to start this Supercharger thread myself, even if a little early, because this Meijer location was the shopping center my family went to for groceries every week as a kid growing up, so I have fond memories of the place. They just renovated this Meijer, too, so this will be an awesome location for charging. This is quite an interesting time to be alive, as we watch this brand new transportation infrastructure being put in place.

Update: Site Plan submission by Tesla to Pittsfield Township was retrieved with a successful FOIA. See screenshots, and the full FOIA PDF is available in 3 parts as attachments.

Newly confirmed details: 12 stalls, 3 V3 cabinets. Coordinates 42.232722, -83.678722. Asphalt will be re-paved and part of a curb will be removed. Some trees are to be relocated. Only one illuminated light fixture for safety at night (kinda minimal, don't you think?).

Awesome!

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 6.46.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 6.44.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 6.46.04 PM.png

Details

Attachments

• FOIA Part 1.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 119
  • FOIA Part 2.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 120
  • FOIA Part 3.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 89
Ypsilanti, MI

Host Type: Supermarket
Host: Meijer
Along Primary Interstates: I-94
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-12, US-23
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-94

To: Roseville, MI - 54.3 miles
Diversion: 2.3 miles
To: Port Huron, MI - 97.4 miles

US-12

To: End (Downtown Detroit, MI) - 35.9 miles
Diversion: 3.6 miles

US-23

To: Bay City, MI - 105.2 miles
Diversion: 0.4 miles
To: Mackinaw City, MI - 327.1 miles

Another Meijer Supercharger.

I dont understand why they would put another Supercharger site so close to the Ann Arbor location. They are only 5.5 miles apart and it takes 10 min to drive to the other location.
Ann Arbor is consistently busy and is rarely over 125kW. This new charger will also reduce the time it takes to travel north on 23, as an Ohioan routinely visiting northing MI. Not sure why we're complaining about too many chargers.

I am confused why this got added as permitted on supercharge.info. The documents provided by @tesrella were simply applications for a permit, correct?

"Permit" simply means "Pre-construction". Doesn't have to be a permit, just good evidence of Tesla and the host's interest. News articles, permit applications, zoning variance applications are enough.

I dont understand why they would put another Supercharger site so close to the Ann Arbor location. They are only 5.5 miles apart and it takes 10 min to drive to the other location.
Between the hours of 5pm and 8pm this charger is consistently full with a wait line, and doesn't ever charge at 150kW. Ann Arbor and nearby cities are chock full of Green energy enthusiasts and EV owners. Tesla saw the need from their own internal data for a nearby V3 and this Meijer location seemed good enough.

Reactions: Big Earl
Between the hours of 5pm and 8pm this charger is consistently full with a wait line, and doesn't ever charge at 150kW. Ann Arbor and nearby cities are chock full of Green energy enthusiasts and EV owners. Tesla saw the need from their own internal data for a nearby V3 and this Meijer location seemed good enough.
I never use local superchargers but I frequent that area somewhat often and I have yet to see an evening where the Meijer SC is full with a queue waiting.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I never use local superchargers but I frequent that area somewhat often and I have yet to see an evening where the Meijer SC is full with a queue waiting.
You must be getting lucky, then; I live nearby and sometimes I am forced to use the Ann Arbor location due to lack of apartment charging infrastructure. Looking at the availability right now, as rush hour has only just started, less than 1/3 of chargers are available at the Livonia and Ann Arbor locations combined. There's plenty of need for it, but I am not here to defend Tesla's decision.

I don't understand why they would put another Supercharger site so close to the Ann Arbor location. They are only 5.5 miles apart and it takes 10 min to drive to the other location.
In case the power goes out just before you arrive at Livonia SC; ended up at Ann Arbor with 10 miles to spare. Ypsilanti would have been a lot less stressful! Where they really need one is in the Royal Oak area which is a SC desert for frequent visitors to the area. Many miles and about 2 hours killed to go to a SC and back. When I called Tesla several months ago they said they were planning one at Red Run Golf Club in Royal Oak which is much closer than the Meijer to I75. Called City of Royal Oak and Red Run and neither had a clue about a Tesla SC.

Reactions: tesrella