Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rolla, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say 4 weeks is typical install time once construction starts. However, there are a few steps that can take longer. In some of the bigger cities the 3 phase transformer can take a month or two after construction is completed. Ann Arbor took a very long time before it got it's transformer. In that area I wouldn't think we would run into those problems, but some sites have been under construction for 6+ months... Check out the charts at supercharge.info

I will say the two that are over 6 months right now are special cases, but others have taken a long time too...

I think Rolla is going for a permit record outside of CA. It is rare for a SuperCharger to go this long in permit without any moment. This type of wait time is normally reserved for California chargers.
If you're looking at US-based locations, yes, but there are a number of international locations that have been in permit status for longer.

Permit Status Days.png

Source: supercharge.info -> Charts tab

Yeah. I'm not counting ones outside of the US. To many differences in the markets, regulations, and politics. Most chargers never get close to the 150 days mark. I watch that chart fairly closely these days. I'm really hoping Rolla doesn't become the next Erie PA. The I44 route is critical to my travels. I've got a Honda sitting in my driveway waiting for these chargers to come online before I sell it.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Too many differences in the markets, regulations, and politics.
To be fair, that exists within the US as well. Each town/city has their own requirements. I've been told (off the record) some interesting tales of permitting processes at various locations, and they're pretty varied. That said, it does seem that the longer wait times are more common abroad, but I don't keep very close tabs on that chart. Just thought I'd make sure you were aware of it for comparison purposes.

I've come to give Tesla a lot of slack on their rollout, in part because of these issues that seem to be outside their control. I realize that's little consolation to many. I suspect living near St Louis and having most of the nearby major interstates covered for several hundred miles helps quite a bit.

I agree. They get a lot of leeway from me too. I've found the biggest delay in most cases is the installation of the transformer. Catoosa, OK is currently waiting for theirs. I watched Ann Arbor for weeks/months for Detroit electric to drop one off. It took so long that people start to produce stories that the Detroit loyalty to the Big Three was getting in the way.

However, once the permit is in hand, the ball is really in TM court to get the installation rolling. I've been speculating that the contractor for Catoosa is that same for the whole I44 route. That would imply they are going to do them one at a time. Nothing more than a guess though.

Couldn't help myself, sent an email to Tesla via the "owner comments" section of the web site. My family and I are driving from Nixa, MO to St. Louis this Friday for a weekend of Cardinals Baseball and good food. I've had my Model S over 3 1/2 years and we've had the Model X for 2 months and we had fully expected to take the X this trip. But we have some narrow travel windows and with no charging options (within reason) between Nixa and St. Louis we just can't risk taking the EVs this trip and will take our 10+ year old Highlander Hybrid.

I've been very patient and very apologetic for Tesla up to this point, but I've had it. Rolla has been permitted for about 6 months and really should have been built 2 1/2 years ago given the importance of that location along I-44 and for Southern Missouri in general. I'm really frustrated at this point.

At last! Now if they can get Springfield under construction this will truly make a direct coast to coast (think NYC to LA) practicable this year. It is time for Tesla to work on connecting east to west via I-10 and via I-80 too.
I really don't expect Springfield for at least a year since they still have to build the Macadoodles to put them up on. If, however, they could get Joplin up, that would be preferrable, IMO. That would help the I-49 N/S corridor and would be close enough to Rolla (~178 miles) to make I-44 doable even without Springfield.

• Helpful
I really don't expect Springfield for at least a year since they still have to build the Macadoodles to put them up on. If, however, they could get Joplin up, that would be preferrable, IMO. That would help the I-49 N/S corridor and would be close enough to Rolla (~178 miles) to make I-44 doable even without Springfield.
Part of me wants to "dislike" this post, but I don't want that to reflect poorly on you. It's sort of a "don't shoot the messenger" situation. I happen to think you're right, but it doesn't mean I like that you're right, so I rated it "helpful".

Reactions: GSP
Part of me wants to "dislike" this post, but I don't want that to reflect poorly on you. It's sort of a "don't shoot the messenger" situation. I happen to think you're right, but it doesn't mean I like that you're right, so I rated it "helpful".
So.... maybe this will be good news. No details, but ground has been broken already and some foundations placed, and if you watch the video it certainly seems like the Macadoodles and the Supercharger are fairly high priorities compared to the rest of the project.

New development to include hotel, fueling station, Macadoodles

• Love