Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers a Profit Center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<< Left out the quote in order not to bother those who blocked you with your post >>>

It all means Supercharging H/W is build in on all models. Same as with the MS-60.

It is your interpretation that such means it is free-for-live on the base model. So all the future Model-3 customers can get Free Supercharging.. if they BUY the option to activate it. Anything else is your interpretation. No matter how many links you might dig up (that all tell you the same as I am telling you here actually).

Everybody who made a reservation prefers having a 35k base price with optional SuperCharging for a price (say 2k) over a baseprice that is 2k higher with SuperCharging activated by default.

In case you are not happy with that, you can easily get a refund on your reservation at any time, enough happy takers for your place in line. (And in case you do not even have an Model-3 reservation.. what is your problem anyway ??)

Even with an 2k SuC activation price added , that would still be lower than the Bolt, that will not have level-3 charging in the base price, but (as I understand) will need an optional extra for 50 kW charging capability on top of their 37k base price. And NO SuperCharging network at ANY price as an option. Ever.

So what is your issue here ? How is Tesla a bad company here ?? Or Mr. Musk a bad CEO ??
Please go to the GM forum with your nitpicking ! As soon as GM (any other vendor) has a 120 kWh network and offers at access lower prices than Tesla you can return to complain about Tesla and Mr. Musk on this forum.

The car 's the final option / price list is not even ready.
It that so hard to understand / accept ? Or do you keep pushing this for other reasons ?

To my personal opinion you are probably simply trolling. (and with an agenda as you show in your posts on other forums)

Last edited:
So what is your issue here ?

Another example of over-promise and under-deliver. And that's not my interpretation. I simply noted that you were wrong in stating:

Tesla never said that all base-price model-3 could use the SuperChargers for free.

Here's how members of this forum reported on the news back on Jan 30, 2014:

Elon: Gen III will have the same free supercharging as the model S/X.

Elon in Munich on Jan 30, 2014

and following posts. Is that enough evidence?

Direct answer from the CEO who is still the CEO (and seems to have a habit with promising a lot of things).

Superchargers won't be a profit center in terms of pay-for-charge because reselling electricity is a terrible business.Take electricity (costs a few cents) mark it up a lot (now users feel like they are getting ripped off paying 49c/kWh when they can get it for 17c at home). And even with that huge % markup they still won't be able to pay for charging gear and installation (1000s of dollars). Using pennies to somehow pay for 1000s of dollars of charging gear is not a business I want to be in. Free supercharging is a very small cost (most driving, >85%, is done from electricity sourced at home).

GM spent 3 billion or so on advertising last year -- I'd much rather Tesla spend their meager advertising budget providing free fuel and charging locations. (600 supercharger locations x $250,000 each = 150 million. 150 million to build a worldwide charging network is peanuts. The electricity to power it is similarly small. So for less than 1/10 of GMs annual advertising budget, Tesla gets an even better advertisement -- long distance travel capability, and the free "fuel" to use it.

Reactions: Gerardf
Superchargers won't be a profit center in terms of pay-for-charge because reselling electricity is a terrible business.Take electricity (costs a few cents) mark it up a lot (now users feel like they are getting ripped off paying 49c/kWh when they can get it for 17c at home). And even with that huge % markup they still won't be able to pay for charging gear and installation (1000s of dollars). Using pennies to somehow pay for 1000s of dollars of charging gear is not a business I want to be in. Free supercharging is a very small cost (most driving, >85%, is done from electricity sourced at home).

The issue for Tesla is whether they want to deal with the many Model 3 buyers who will game the system of unlimited supercharging for travel. No one rationally buys the S/X for free electricity from Tesla. This situation changes with the model 3.

The LA uber driver registers his car at his parents house in Bakersfield. How does Tesla prevent him and other LA residents from clogging up the chargers in that city?

<< Left out the quote in order not to bother those who blocked you with your post >>>

You call it under-deliver... ? You are simply using negative biased speculation to speak bad about Tesla and Mr. Musk.

- Has Telsa already delivered a single Model-3 ?
- Has anyone already seen a final price list ?

What is your problem ? Cancel your reservation. Don't buy the share. Go short. Stop whining and spreading FUD.

Hmmm, you did notice how on the last mission SpaceX missed the "X " on the barge, that they were clearly aiming for, by well over 50 cm !!! Wow, underdeliver !!!! Musk bad, SpaceX bad !!

It is the same problem as Tesla 'only' growing sales & production 9x in 2-3 years instead of 10x they aim for.

... or possibly asking the same price as the Bolt while offering unique 120kW free life-time charging and the dense network that enables using it all over USA and Europe.... (Again, the Bolt that offers none of that.. Not even as future option at ANY price).
So disappointing it would still not even be 2k lower price.

You would call all the above 'underdeliver'.
Any sane person would call all that fantastic and out-of-this-world ludicrous performance ! No shareholder would complain in any of these cases about the result.

In this case on M3 SuperCharging you do repeatedly call this underperformance, even before first delivery or even first showing of the feature-list or pricelist. In my book that is FUD and trolling. And if not, it is whining and childish.. but that is just my humble opinion of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciaopec