Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers abloom.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to post this in the "Supercharging network" thread, but though this information was important enough to not get lost in that megathread.

I was recently informed by a Tesla employee that "the number of upcoming Superchargers with active shovels in the ground meets or exceeds the number already completed."

Stop for a second and think about what that means: The Tesla Supercharger network is about to DOUBLE in size in the next few months. This explains why the Supercharger histogram map has changed to "meh, there's gonna be a bunch of them per year". This also jives with Elon stating the Supercharger spacing will be ~160 miles to match a comfortable range for the S60s.

I firmly believe we are about to see Tesla take off like nobody's business. Elon and his family taking the transcontinental trip in Spring only points to "The Golden Plug". The real story is the blanket of Supercharger RED DOTS we are going to see on our beloved Supercharger map!

Cheers to Elon and the Tesla Motors crew!!!

Yes, Tesla is making fantastic progress on the Supercharger Network.

However, the wonderful thing about asking Tesla employees questions is that if you keep asking, you will eventually get the right answer. But, it's hard to know which one it is. I would take that number with a grain of salt. There are 41 SCs open now. If there were more than 41 being built at this point we would be seeing at least 8 opening per week (3-5 weeks to complete once they've broken ground). While they are making great strides, it's more like 2-3 opening per week. This alone is cause for celebration. This map shows open and under construction sites. It's worth referring to as it is being kept up to date. With 24 identified under construction, that says we should see an acceleration to around 5 per week in the next month though Xmas is generally a slow period in the construction industry. There are probably a few more we haven't found yet but there are a lot of eyes out there looking.

Unless there is a mass opening. This expectation of so many openings per week would be a moot point. Look at the coming soon coverings at vacaville. I've never seen that before.

24 under construction, identified, but I think there are likely quite a few more. Ones that I wouldn't be surprised that are undiscovered yet include one in the gap in Minnesota, one in the gap in South Dakota. One in the gap in Pennsylvania, possibly one or two in so cal, and Roseville. It actually comes up being most of the ones on their coming soon map. Also, that map doesn't include several we've heard millings about, like Las Vegas.

also, including some of the gaps i see above, there are about 8 dots on the coast to coast that aren't on that map, most undiscovered (but I think Chicago has had some prime locations spotted). What if some or all of those are under construction, but just not found yet. I'd be surprised if tesla was that far behind on those than the rest.

what if there were 6-9 finished projects with covers on them?

Workers at vacaville suggested 50 contracted new ones by the end of the year. Could you imagine the press coverage of 50 stations opening on the same day?

Last edited:
When I made this original post, there were 41 active Superchargers. As of this updated post, there are 58 active on the map. That's 17 more in less than 30 days. I've subscribed to the Supercharger's changelog and it seems like I'm getting 1 every day or two that's popping up.

There's no stopping this freight train, people. I'm just looking forward to the "Island of Texas" to get connected to the rest of the country.

When I made this original post, there were 41 active Superchargers. As of this updated post, there are 58 active on the map. That's 17 more in less than 30 days. I've subscribed to the Supercharger's changelog and it seems like I'm getting 1 every day or two that's popping up.

There's no stopping this freight train, people. I'm just looking forward to the "Island of Texas" to get connected to the rest of the country.

I know how you feel! I hope the island of Texas gets connect to the net soon. It's been very exciting to the smaller island of Colorado be connected as the stepping stones keep falling into place! :wink:

According to the map, a coast to coast rout is complete. I'd be a little concerned about the spacing in the mountain states, as altitude changes may make it a little tough to make it in the uphill direction for some of them, but it is coming along nicely.

According to the map, a coast to coast rout is complete. I'd be a little concerned about the spacing in the mountain states, as altitude changes may make it a little tough to make it in the uphill direction for some of them, but it is coming along nicely.

We are still 5 or 6 short at a minimum. All of them are likely under construction, exception maybe one more in AZ and another in PA.

The Tesla map is a very optimistic view of the Supercharging world. It draws circles with about a 200 mile radius. This is a good perspective if you do a range charge to get to a destination or from a destination to a Supercharger. However, it is a very bad way to look at Supercharger to Supercharger connectivity. If you are willing to do an overnight at a hotel with 40 Amp or better charging between several Supercharger pairs, then the Tesla Map will work for a coast to coast today; read musings on the strait and narrow. for the story of a couple doing that right now.

Here is my method (so called "Cottonwood Method"). Go to the Teslawiki Superchargers Map. First turn off (uncheck) the "Under Construction" sites. Now, let's say I am going to do a 90% or so charge to 225 rated miles in an 85, and am willing to drive up to 200 miles on that charge, further, we will make a general assumption that 200 actual miles with indirect road routing will give me about 170 miles direct, point-to-point distance. Now, if I set the radius (Range) slider to 85 miles (half of 170) and the circles touch, it is less than 170 (2x85) miles direct, point-to-point distance between Superchargers, and therefore the actual driving distance is probably less than 200 miles. I know those are a lot of words, but I hope it is a reasonable method to get a quick visual check on Supercharger to Supercharger connectivity. Here is a screen shot of the result:

Teslawiki85-20140112.png

As you can see there are several gaps, and some places, especially in the mountains where this is not conservative enough. For example, I would not attempt Grand Junction to Farmington in an 85 unless I was prepared to top off at the 208V, 30A, ChargePoint J1772's near downtown Durango for several hours. Also, you can see that Newark, DE to Glen Allen, VA connection is just tangential. That is a known span that requires care. My advice (not being a 60 driver) is to set the radius to 60 for 60's, and 85 for 85's, simple memory checks. When its close, use EVTripPlanner, go "advanced" and put in actual temps and weights; even then, respect headwinds!

If you want to look at the Tesla view, turn off the under construction sites, and set the slider to 200 miles. Good optimism for hopping on or off the Supercharger network, but not for staying on-board. :eek:

Last edited:
Judging by Cottonwood's image, I think Elon only needs the following to be completed:
  • Las Vegas
  • southern Wyoming
  • southeast Minnesota
  • north Ohio

I agree, but to meet Elon's goal of minimizing Supercharger time, he will want deep overlap of the circles. That will mean adding a few more fill ins like:
  • Holbrook, AZ
  • Cranberry Township, PA
  • Hagerstown, PA
  • Kingman, AZ

It is, however, getting very close!

I think Elon will wait until all of the locations we have identified on the map are complete. All of these locations will be completed before end of February without a doubt. There are two locations that have not been added to the map; Holbrook, AZ and Cranberry, PA.

I also imagine that Tesla will do an east coast road trip before the coast to coast road trip. It just makes sense from a PR stand point. You might as well have two stories rather than one although you will most likely be able to do the coast to coast trip around the same time as the east coast.

Not too much longer!

Why would you want to leave Texas? :) Seriously though, in my ICE I only ever drove to New Orleans a few times, otherwise I always fly when leaving TX. I will be interested to see how much the superchargers in and out of Texas end up being used...

Why would you want to leave Texas? :) Seriously though, in my ICE I only ever drove to New Orleans a few times, otherwise I always fly when leaving TX. I will be interested to see how much the superchargers in and out of Texas end up being used...

I can assure you I will use them once they are in OK and KS. Right now it's RV parks. I don't fly these days unless there is a large body of water between me and my destination. Flying is just too much hassle anymore.